🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I have received an offer and I accepted. But ...
Page options
tyln
Community Member

I have received an offer and I accepted. But the client has not yet replied to me.

I got an offer for a job I didn't send a proposal before and I accepted. Then I sent message to my new client but I didn’t get any response yet. I touch him again to say “I am waiting for your response to start the work” but no any answer.

I have waited for five days. I know it not took much time yet but I want to know what should I do if client never answer me.

There is no any milestone, work diary and loaded payments.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
roberty1y
Community Member

You just do nothing and forget about the client unless he contacts you again. People just change their minds about hiring someone, maybe they abandon the project or find someone they believe is more suitable. Without a milestone or contract, you have no obligation to the client.

tyln
Community Member

Thank for the reply,

The contract is open now. Whan I should close the contract? Will it effect my JSS?

re: "When I should close the contract?"

Whenever you want to.

If yiu we're only hired yesterday... and haven't heard from the client in 24 hours.... that is not very long. Be patient.

If it has been a month, go ahead and close it.

re: "Will it effect my JSS?"

No.

It has been five days.

Five days isn't very long - what's your rush? It's a long holiday weekend in some countries (e.g. 4th of July in the U.S., Canada Day last Friday), so perhaps your client is taking some time off. But even if you leave the contract open for months or years, it's not hurting you, so I would just be patient.

I just want to learn that to avoid any mistake and scams. I will not close the contract yet.

How could it be a scam, if the client hasn't contacted you to ask you for anything? On the contrary, scammers are always in a hurry to get their "projects" going as quickly as possible, before Upwork has a chance to ban their accounts.

prestonhunter
Community Member

You made a mistake.

In the future, you should do what I do:

Do NOT click the accept button on a fixed-price contract until you have all the information and input files necessary in order to CONPLETE the first milestone task.

Do NOT click the accept button on an hourly contract until you have all of the information necessary to do at least ten minutes of work on the project.

This way, you will always get paid for any contract you accept even if the client disappears completely.

Thanks Preston,

Your way looks better. 

If this is a scam or if client just go away, what should I do?

re: "If this is a scam or if client just go away, what should I do?"

If you think this is a scam, you can close the contract right now. It won't hurt you to do that. There will be no impact on your JSS from a contract that was opened, and no hours were ever logged, and then it was closed and the client never returns to leave feedback or anything.

If you think this may be a legitimate job, then you can wait a little longer until you hear from the client.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Taylan S wrote:

There is no any milestone, work diary and loaded payments.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - if it's a fixed price contract, the client would have had to set at least one milestone. If it's hourly, you'll see it in your work diary (unless the start date hasn't passed yet).

Hi Christine,

This is a hourly contract.

Okay, then there won't be any milestone or any payments in the escrow account.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members