🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I might be getting scammed please help!
Page options
Community Member

I might be getting scammed please help!

Has anyone worked for **Edited for Community Guidelines**?

They claim to be a book publishing company and they are talking to me through telegram and sent me a check for $1950 to "buy the equipment" which I thought was weird but since I didnt give account informtion I went through with it.

Nooow they want me to go ahead and use my money to send $1000 to a zelle. They havent even confirmed my ID and im sweating like mad. Can Upwork stop this company name from posting.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
81f2681a
Community Member

Yes you are being scammed. Get out this job, block and report this false client imediatly.

Now take note of these tips to avoid being scammed:

1 - NEVER talks to a client outside Upwork until you have a contract with him. You are risking your finances and Upwork account, doing it is against TOS of Upwork.

2 - NEVER accepts payment outside Upwork.

3 - NEVER accepts payments from a client to "buy your equipment". You are responsible for your own equipment. If you say you can do the job, everybody is suposing that you can do it and you just have the tools to do it.

4 - NEVER send money to a client. In anyway DON´T SEND MONEY TO A CLIENT. Money flows from client to freelancers, never the oposite way. You are here in Upwork to earn money, not to spend money.

Unfortunately Upwork can´t block this company from posting jobs, because scammers lies when doing job posts. The person says he is from this company, but he isn´t. It´s not the company´s fault.

Much probably this person is using a stolen credit card, he would send the $1950 to you, then you would send $1000 to him, and then in few days or few hours when discovered that the credit card is stolen, you would lose your $1950 in chargeback, but as your money $1000 wasn´t stolen and you sent it correctly to somebody, you won´t have your money back in anyway. So you would send $1000 to somebody and much probably could do nothing to have your money back. This is how this type of scam works.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
81f2681a
Community Member

Yes you are being scammed. Get out this job, block and report this false client imediatly.

Now take note of these tips to avoid being scammed:

1 - NEVER talks to a client outside Upwork until you have a contract with him. You are risking your finances and Upwork account, doing it is against TOS of Upwork.

2 - NEVER accepts payment outside Upwork.

3 - NEVER accepts payments from a client to "buy your equipment". You are responsible for your own equipment. If you say you can do the job, everybody is suposing that you can do it and you just have the tools to do it.

4 - NEVER send money to a client. In anyway DON´T SEND MONEY TO A CLIENT. Money flows from client to freelancers, never the oposite way. You are here in Upwork to earn money, not to spend money.

Unfortunately Upwork can´t block this company from posting jobs, because scammers lies when doing job posts. The person says he is from this company, but he isn´t. It´s not the company´s fault.

Much probably this person is using a stolen credit card, he would send the $1950 to you, then you would send $1000 to him, and then in few days or few hours when discovered that the credit card is stolen, you would lose your $1950 in chargeback, but as your money $1000 wasn´t stolen and you sent it correctly to somebody, you won´t have your money back in anyway. So you would send $1000 to somebody and much probably could do nothing to have your money back. This is how this type of scam works.

I was believing on the client, I mobile deposit the check already and its being processed which the bank told me it cant be stopped. Im praying it bounces off now but it might take until monday.

I found websites and even amazon links of the company's books so I was believing it but I stopped when they tolf me to send my own money through zelle before the check clears through.

They do have my physical address and I signed a document, im almost crying because now im nervous to answer the door if im alone and I wonder if they will try something else.

After avoiding many scams for so long I feel so stupid. Thanks for the information.

re: "They do have my physical address and I signed a document, im almost crying because now im nervous to answer the door if im alone and I wonder if they will try something else."

You have nothing to worry about in this regard.

These guys don't even love on the same continent as you.

They just want easy money. If you don't send them money, they're done with you. This is a JOB for them. It is not personal. There is no revenge. Ignore them, block them, and they're done.

It does not matter that you provided your physical address.

"I was believing on the client,"

You cannot trust random people you meet online. It is no different from going into a chat room. You do not know their name, location, level of honesty, or intentions. Would you agree to a financial exchange with a total stranger? That is what you did.     

I mobile deposit the check already and its being processed which the bank told me it cant be stopped. Im praying it bounces off now but it might take until Monday."

If you mean the check the scammers sent you, it will bounce. It's not real. There is no money.

"I found websites and even amazon links of the company's books so I was believing it but I stopped when they tolf me to send my own money through zelle before the check clears through."

As others have said, you broke the rules by communicating with the scammer. There is no money. This scam pre-dates the Internet. It was used when people were typing. They send you a fake check, and then you send them real money for some made-up fake job.

"They do have my physical address and I signed a document, im almost crying because now im nervous to answer the door if im alone and I wonder if they will try something else."

You can stop worrying. The scammers only want one thing - money from easily scammed people. They will never come to your home, don't care where you live, and will not harm you unless you give them money or participate in another scam. You can relax. The scammers are never going to come to your door. They aren't even in your country.

"After avoiding many scams for so long I feel so stupid. Thanks for the information."

Don't feel stupid. We all make mistakes. I don't understand the "for so long" part because your profile looks brand new. You are a giant target for the scammers. You are new, have no profile, no portfolio, and no jobs.

So now you know never to talk to any client outside Upwork messaging until a contract is in place. I recommend keeping all communication on Upwork, especially being new. If you have everything in one place, and the client knows all business will be handled on the Upwork platform, it will significantly reduce the scammers.

You have to protect yourself; no one, including Upwork, will do it for you. Work on your profile. If you don't have work for your portfolio, create something you are proud of that showcases your talent. The scammers know new people are anxious for jobs and may not read or adhere to the rules, especially if they offer little work for big bucks.

Read this excellent advice from Wes

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Take this as a lesson learned and vow not to be a victim again. The scammers will not go away until they find no one willing to be a victim.

81f2681a
Community Member

More tips to avoid being scammed:

5 - NEVER gives your ID, physical address or anyother private information to a client. They don´t needs to knows these information, the only thing they needs to know is if you can do the job. Doesn´t matter the purpose, scammers will create a lot of excuses to asks you for private information. Most commons is "We need these informations for company´s invoice." "We needs to send you the NDA" or "We needs to send you the equipment you will use."

6 - NEVER click suspicious links from clients.

7 - NEVER download any "client´s app" to your phone. "You must work logged in our app" they will say.

8 - NEVER fills any form requested by clients. "My company needs you fills this form to invoices, contracts and all burocracy" and bla bla bla.... Doesn´t matter! Don´t fill it. Doing it you may be giving private information to a scammer.

9 - If a client is asking you to do anything above, don´t trust client even if he have good reviews and payment´s verified in Upwork. Maybe is a scammer using a hacked account.

colettelewis
Community Member

The well-known publishing house scam is well -known, and it is not the company at fault. The scammers assume the role of many different companies. It is also a violation of Upwork's ToS to communicate with clients off site before you have an official Upwork contract in place. 

Provided you haven't tried to cash the check (your bank will really have something to say if you have!), you'll be OK. 

You can report this person, but I expect the job has already been taken down by Upwork. To protect yourself you should read all the help pages you can for newcomers to the site, as well as reading Upwork's ToS.  If you violate them again (even unwittingly), you are likely to have your account suspended. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members