🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I need advice from a senior!
Page options
3e6225a4
Community Member

I need advice from a senior!

I have been bidding a lot of for quite a few days, but I am not getting any response even though I am boosting my proposals. I need advice from a senior on whether I am making any mistakes in my proposals or if there are any suggestions. Below, I have provided an example of a job and a proposal. Please let me know if I am writing the proposal correctly or if there are any mistakes.

Job:

Hello Freelancers,I hope this message finds you well. I am currently in search of a web developer for my portfolio website. I am eager to explore your creative ideas and pricing, and I'd appreciate it if you could share how you plan to create an engaging and creative portfolio website for a game developer.Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

Cover letter:

Greetings, John! Could you please provide some examples of game developer portfolio websites that you find engaging and creative? I would love to incorporate similar elements into your own portfolio website. Additionally, could you share any specific features or functionalities that you would like to see on your website?

I have experience in creating visually appealing and user-friendly portfolio websites for various industries, and I would be thrilled to collaborate with you on this project.

Here is my portfolio: .............

Let’s discuss your requirements further and create a stunning showcase for your game development work.

Best Regards,
Arslan

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

I agree with Jeanne, and I want to build on what she said.

Like the first two sentences of your profile summary being shown in searches, only the first two sentences of your cover letters are shown in a client’s Review Proposals screen.

I would never start a cover letter with a question. Why? Because you immediately place demands on the client, which—I believe—causes discomfort. The intent of the client’s job description is for you to fully understand the requirements and tell them how you can meet those requirements.

Keep in mind that clients receive tons of proposals, and I think many clients will avoid cover letters that immediately request their support.

When I read this:

“Could you please provide some examples of game developer portfolio websites that you find engaging and creative?”

It sounds like:

“I’m not creative or original enough to formulate any ideas on my own, so please show me something you like and I will build it.”

I understand why you ask the question, but here is what I believe most clients would rather hear:

“I looked through your requirements and I’m extremely familiar with the work. I’m an expert in designing portfolio sites and I have a few great ideas for your site. My portfolio sites typically cost less to produce, and will help you promote a consistent and professional brand image for your business.”

You even mention this in your sample job post: "I am eager to explore your creative ideas..."  so it's up to you to show creativity.

When I read this:

“Additionally, could you share any specific features or functionalities that you would like to see on your website?”

It sounds like:

“I’m not sure which features or functionalities you might like, so I won’t guess. Tell me what I should add to your site.”

I understand the reason for this question too, but here is what I think most clients would rather hear:

“When developing portfolio sites like yours, I often integrate features and functions that enhance the user experience and improve functionality. I can even incorporate any features you see on other sites, or any functional ideas you might have.”

As the freelancer (the expert) you must take ownership of the process and the project. You have to show clients you fully understand their requirements, you have ideas, and you have an approach.

When I was heavy into web development, I often worked with clients using a similar approach.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
spectralua
Community Member

All good with you. Profile filled, great feedbacks, cover is ok.

Many fake jobs posted last time. Not your fault.

Thank You Mykola.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Don't waste the only lines the client sees in the proposal with greetings, names, or skills titles. You have to use something that will tell the client why you can do the job better than anyone. Don't ask the client for help, it looks like they will have to help you do the job. The last sentence is good.

For the first sentence, tell the client, for example,  "I am an expert in designing and marketing purple widgets. I will design a new purple widget, which will cost less to produce, reduce shipping costs, and increase your sales."

Thank you, Jeanne

celgins
Community Member

I agree with Jeanne, and I want to build on what she said.

Like the first two sentences of your profile summary being shown in searches, only the first two sentences of your cover letters are shown in a client’s Review Proposals screen.

I would never start a cover letter with a question. Why? Because you immediately place demands on the client, which—I believe—causes discomfort. The intent of the client’s job description is for you to fully understand the requirements and tell them how you can meet those requirements.

Keep in mind that clients receive tons of proposals, and I think many clients will avoid cover letters that immediately request their support.

When I read this:

“Could you please provide some examples of game developer portfolio websites that you find engaging and creative?”

It sounds like:

“I’m not creative or original enough to formulate any ideas on my own, so please show me something you like and I will build it.”

I understand why you ask the question, but here is what I believe most clients would rather hear:

“I looked through your requirements and I’m extremely familiar with the work. I’m an expert in designing portfolio sites and I have a few great ideas for your site. My portfolio sites typically cost less to produce, and will help you promote a consistent and professional brand image for your business.”

You even mention this in your sample job post: "I am eager to explore your creative ideas..."  so it's up to you to show creativity.

When I read this:

“Additionally, could you share any specific features or functionalities that you would like to see on your website?”

It sounds like:

“I’m not sure which features or functionalities you might like, so I won’t guess. Tell me what I should add to your site.”

I understand the reason for this question too, but here is what I think most clients would rather hear:

“When developing portfolio sites like yours, I often integrate features and functions that enhance the user experience and improve functionality. I can even incorporate any features you see on other sites, or any functional ideas you might have.”

As the freelancer (the expert) you must take ownership of the process and the project. You have to show clients you fully understand their requirements, you have ideas, and you have an approach.

When I was heavy into web development, I often worked with clients using a similar approach.

3e6225a4
Community Member

Thank you very much Clark, for your suggestion and for pointing out my mistake. I have definitely identified my mistake now.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members