🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » I never Get a Response from Any Job I apply
Page options
930b37cf
Community Member

I never Get a Response from Any Job I apply

Hey there I never get a reply from the clients no matter how many jobs I apply to or how many connects I waste for bidding. No one ever seems to reply me. I'd love hear negative feedback too but no, nah, nothing. Please Help Anyone. I've even bought Premium Subscription.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ericaandrews
Community Member

Honest feedback:

If you truly have an MS in engineering and experience working with computers, I would consider creating profiles that focus on engineering and tech and try offering those services.  I think when a client sees your degree + a job as a computer operator, it doesn't make much sense to them that you are trying to do 'data entry' and writing.   Also, in your employment history, it doesn't really look great to go from a 'computer operator' to an 'office assistant', as that's basically a demotion. I would consider taking that office assistant thing off of there and add a description for the 'computer operator' job explaining what you did and what technologies you used.

The data entry, video editing, and writer fields on Upwork are EXTREMELY competitive, and most clients are unlikely to be interested if your background doesn't suggest expertise in those areas. Your intro says "I've been doing this for a while now. " but there is nothing on your profile to support this claim. There are items in the portfolio, but no information on WHEN and where you did these projects. Clients don't like vague stuff like "for a while now" or "an offline client": You should be able to say specifically how many years and be able to PROVE it with listings of past projects/jobs related to the areas where you are claiming to have experience in those areas.  After all, if you have a degree in an unrelated field like Electrical Engineering, it is up to you to PROVE to the client you really have expertise in writing, video editing, etc.  If I were a client viewing that profile, I would not be convinced in the least with vague claims like "doing this for a while now" and no supporting employment history or project listings to prove it.

More honest feedback: You might have better luck offering IT services or engineering expertise on Upwork, which is less competitive and usually pays much more.  To most clients, it's simply not going to make sense that somebody went through the trouble to earn an electrical engineering degree, and then just randomly decided to go into video editing and doing data entry stuff instead.

You also don't need to 'thank' people for 'visiting' your profile: It's a profile, not an ecommerce checkout page, so there is no need to 'thank' people for 'stopping by'.  It also suggests that you don't get many 'visitors' when you include a statement like that.

Lastly: I'd recommend REMOVING all that "***" stuff and emojis from the intros on your specialized profiles. They look unprofessional and 'spam'-like to many clients.  Just keep the intro clean and professional and state what you can offer and leave it at that.  There's no need for all the "*******" and :white_heavy_check_mark: stuff all over the place.   You can use regularly 'bullets' to make itemized 'points' instead of big green check marks etc.

I would recommend really cleaning up the profile before submitting anymore proposals and spending any more connects.  The 'new to upwork' section has plenty of information on what a professional profile SHOULD look like. I'd recommend spending some time reading it and fixing the profile first.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
df602768
Community Member

Then, apply some more. 🙂 

The fact that you bought Premium Subscription doesn't mean anything or that you'll get more jobs. 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Bilal, are you applying for the right type of Jobs and at the proper pricing. Your Profile states you have a Masters in Engineering yet are asking $3 per hour for non engineering work. My guess is that is a disconnect for most Clients. Thanks!

c1c9191c
Community Member

Hello,

I would also suggest increasing your hourly rate, it is going to look more professional!

Thanks a lot 

the-right-writer
Community Member

I would change your introduction. You need to tell people what you are going to do for them. Telling a client to calm down, they will love you, is not going to win over many clients. I understand what you mean, but it won't sit well with clients.

A subscription has nothing to do with being hired. Because you are new, it is not an easy road for most. You will have to put in a lot of proposals and connects before landing a job. Target your proposals for jobs you are well qualified for, and sometimes it helps to put something a little different on the top of proposals. Nothing weird, perhaps changing the phrasing or wording of the first couple of sentences. The competition is fierce due to the massive number of freelancers. While many fail, obviously many succeed and do well on Upwork.

ericaandrews
Community Member

Honest feedback:

If you truly have an MS in engineering and experience working with computers, I would consider creating profiles that focus on engineering and tech and try offering those services.  I think when a client sees your degree + a job as a computer operator, it doesn't make much sense to them that you are trying to do 'data entry' and writing.   Also, in your employment history, it doesn't really look great to go from a 'computer operator' to an 'office assistant', as that's basically a demotion. I would consider taking that office assistant thing off of there and add a description for the 'computer operator' job explaining what you did and what technologies you used.

The data entry, video editing, and writer fields on Upwork are EXTREMELY competitive, and most clients are unlikely to be interested if your background doesn't suggest expertise in those areas. Your intro says "I've been doing this for a while now. " but there is nothing on your profile to support this claim. There are items in the portfolio, but no information on WHEN and where you did these projects. Clients don't like vague stuff like "for a while now" or "an offline client": You should be able to say specifically how many years and be able to PROVE it with listings of past projects/jobs related to the areas where you are claiming to have experience in those areas.  After all, if you have a degree in an unrelated field like Electrical Engineering, it is up to you to PROVE to the client you really have expertise in writing, video editing, etc.  If I were a client viewing that profile, I would not be convinced in the least with vague claims like "doing this for a while now" and no supporting employment history or project listings to prove it.

More honest feedback: You might have better luck offering IT services or engineering expertise on Upwork, which is less competitive and usually pays much more.  To most clients, it's simply not going to make sense that somebody went through the trouble to earn an electrical engineering degree, and then just randomly decided to go into video editing and doing data entry stuff instead.

You also don't need to 'thank' people for 'visiting' your profile: It's a profile, not an ecommerce checkout page, so there is no need to 'thank' people for 'stopping by'.  It also suggests that you don't get many 'visitors' when you include a statement like that.

Lastly: I'd recommend REMOVING all that "***" stuff and emojis from the intros on your specialized profiles. They look unprofessional and 'spam'-like to many clients.  Just keep the intro clean and professional and state what you can offer and leave it at that.  There's no need for all the "*******" and :white_heavy_check_mark: stuff all over the place.   You can use regularly 'bullets' to make itemized 'points' instead of big green check marks etc.

I would recommend really cleaning up the profile before submitting anymore proposals and spending any more connects.  The 'new to upwork' section has plenty of information on what a professional profile SHOULD look like. I'd recommend spending some time reading it and fixing the profile first.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I have carefully considered them and made some changes to my profile. I will continue to improve and update my profile as necessary.

Regarding my educational background, I did indeed earn my Masters in Electrical Engineering. However, due to certain circumstances, I was not able to gain practical experience in the field, and instead found myself in the world of freelancing. Despite this, I am determined to make the most of my skills and knowledge, and I am constantly seeking new opportunities and learning new skills to further my professional development.

I understand that this may make me less experienced than others in the field, but I am eager to learn and grow and I am confident that my skills, dedication, and commitment will make up for any lack of practical experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read my profile and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Best regards,

Bilal Shafique

He is a fantastic video editor, though, and is top rated elsewhere doing it. There are different samples in his portfolio there, interestingly.

It was a culture shock coming here, honestly. If I didn't have a template from the academy I went to for voice overs to work with and tweak per proposal, I would've been lost.

The hourly thing was VERY confusing. Our industries don't really work like that. Even considering the above, and knowing that declared amount at the top of profiles does color the perception of people who do come across the profile even if they aren't paying hourly, how much do you think he should put there? I was thinking $20, maybe? Or, is that still too low?

I can also see how someone new here and used to another platform would focus a great deal on these relatively new project catalogs, because they resemble the other platform. They haven't worked for me or anyone else I know doing what I do so far as getting orders are concerened. Are they working for what you do?

And for me, I was really thrown off as to why I had to fill out employment history to even create a profile, selling services that have little to do with what I want to offer, then realized that most voice talent go ahead and delete all of that once they settle in. I've been able to tweak it to be more like a resume, as there are aspects of the work performed in the past that apply to what I do now, but I strongly suspect that it throws my job feed off for the work that I came here to get. It's a theory.

Thankyou so much as it means the world to me right now. Hence I'm totally fed up of applying jobs. I'm doing some local projects and learning new skills as well as working on my freelancing communications. You guys are great..😍

Wow I love this honest feedback

Thanks!

930b37cf
Community Member

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. I have carefully considered them and made some changes to my profile. I will continue to improve and update my profile as necessary.

Regarding my educational background, I did indeed earn my Masters in Electrical Engineering. However, due to certain circumstances, I was not able to gain practical experience in the field, and instead found myself in the world of freelancing. Despite this, I am determined to make the most of my skills and knowledge, and I am constantly seeking new opportunities and learning new skills to further my professional development.

I understand that this may make me less experienced than others in the field, but I am eager to learn and grow and I am confident that my skills, dedication, and commitment will make up for any lack of practical experience.

Thank you for taking the time to read my profile and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Best regards,

Bilal Shafique

Bilal : The US has a huge shortage of STEM employees, including all types of engineering, and often US clients/employers are willing to pay TOP dollar to get that expertise from wherever in the world they can find it. I have often seen jobs specifically looking for that skill set. So, I'd definitely recommend you periodically search Upwork for jobs related to the degree you have and do not "shy" away if the client is in the US because the US, like I said, has a SHORTAGE of people with that skill set and often come to Upwork because they cannot find people with YOUR skills here locally in the US.  You'd be surprised what types of jobs get posted to Upwork. Good luck my friend. 

Yeah, I've thought about that too hence I've no practical experience in my relative field of studies so I feel like I shouldn't apply for the job it doesn’t feel right. But I’m also keeping in touch with my studies so that when right time comes I’ll try to avail the opportunity. Right now my main focus is to move forward with whatever comes at me. You know you got to earn if you want to live. 

And mostly no one hires a person who is inexperienced or immature in the field. Everyone expects a mega professional for their projects.

I've did some changes in my profile and you won't believe I've got a reply from a person. so big thanks to all of you guys.

930b37cf
Community Member

Thankyou so much guys😍 I just completed my first milestone.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members