🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Inquires to Clients to Understand the Eng...
Page options
James B Community Member

Inquires to Clients to Understand the Engagement

I am interested in a project management engagement. Before I submit a proposal, I would like to know what industry and/or product this client is involved in. Can this be inquired with the client?

4 REPLIES 4
Petra R Community Member

James B wrote:

I am interested in a project management engagement. Before I submit a proposal, I would like to know what industry and/or product this client is involved in. Can this be inquired with the client?

No, that is what you will be asking in your actual proposal.

Tonya P Community Member

James B wrote:

James, 

Be sure to read through several forum posts. Pay particular attention to those that mention being new or not getting responses to proposals, scams, not getting paid by the client or account suspensions. 

There are many rules or intricacies of Upwork that aren't at all intuitive and sometimes people will use their knowledge of those factors to take advantage of new freelancer. You want to make sure you know exactly what you must do (and not do) to get paid before you invest time in a client's project. 

Preston H Community Member

James, you should understand that most proposals this client receives will probably not be from freelancers as well-spoken and qualified as yourself.

If you submit a proposal, and ask specific questions about industry, product, etc, you stand a very good chance of getting a response.

This client is likely less experienced as a client. If he was experienced in posting jobs, he probably would have known that he should provide additional details in order to better attract proposals from high-quality freelancers.

Martina P Community Member

James B wrote:

Since you are new to this, there will be a steep learning curve. Good that you came to the forum, read everything in the New to Upwork section. The most important thing to know is that you need to steer clear of scammers. Everybody who tries to take communication outside of upwork is a scammer. Don't do that. 

Aside from that, you need to know that a profile is not a CV. Talking about yourself in the third person is something you want to avoid at all costs, it's not personal and does't engage the reader. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members