🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Invoices sent to client recently started show...
Page options
jarrodldavis
Community Member

Invoices sent to client recently started showing full address

I noticed that the invoices sent to clients (as downloaded from Reports > Transaction history) now include my full street address. From what I can gather, this change was made around the beginning of July with no warning, and there's no way to reduce the invoice address (in Settings > Tax Information) to only the city and state, even though Settings > Contact Info states "We take your privacy seriously. Only your city, state and country will be shared with clients.".

This change feels like a signifcant privacy concern, especially with no notice. Why am I being forced to give out my full personal address to clients?

15 REPLIES 15
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jarrod,

I`m sorry about the delay.
I would like to clarify that your address is listed on the invoice because you have added your full address under the Tax Residence section. Could you please try to edit it from your end?
If you continue to experience the same problem after this, let me know here so that our team can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran - I have the same problem.

I went to Tax Residence to change the address but the program would not allow me to do that. It is stuck on my address and I really would prefer that my street address does not show.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joan,

One of our team members reached out to you already via a support ticket to assist you with this request.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

But I didn’t add my address to the Tax Residence section in settings – Upwork did automatically and won’t let me remove it. If this was for some tax compliance or other legal reason, the change should have been communicated to me beforehand, especially since Upwork states in other Settings screens that personal addresses won’t be shown to clients.

Hi Jarrod,

I understand your frustration with this, and would like to confirm that our team has reached out to you via ticket with additional information. Please refer to your ticket with number 29492653. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

The “additional information” was not helpful and didn’t really address the issue – I was just told there was nothing I could do other than change (not remove) the address. Since I’m being told that, then can I use Upwork’s HQ as the invoice address?
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I'm puzzled about why this is a concern. How does anyone expect to conduct business without revealing where they are located? All my vendors know where I live/work, as do all my bankers and credit card companies and doctors and ride-hailing companies and Amazon and Netflix and my airline & hotel & car rental reward programs. Why would I want to conceal my address from clients who are paying me money?

Phyllis G wrote:

I'm puzzled about why this is a concern. How does anyone expect to conduct business without revealing where they are located? All my vendors know where I live/work, as do all my bankers and credit card companies and doctors and ride-hailing companies and Amazon and Netflix and my airline & hotel & car rental reward programs. Why would I want to conceal my address from clients who are paying me money?

Indeed, I've always thought it was necessary to have my full address on invoices; isn't this required for clients' tax purposes?

Phyllis - Ordinarily I would not mind if my street address shows on an invoice. However, I recently had a very unpleasant experience with a client who I think is psycho and I would prefer that he had not gotten my street address. And it's interesting that a client's address is not on an invoice.

I've solved this by using a small mailbox at a nearby UPS store as my business mailing address. That's what appears on my Upwork invoices.

Joan S wrote:

Phyllis - Ordinarily I would not mind if my street address shows on an invoice. However, I recently had a very unpleasant experience with a client who I think is psycho and I would prefer that he had not gotten my street address. And it's interesting that a client's address is not on an invoice.

A psycho bent on mayhem can find an address without too terribly much trouble. I would prefer that our admin systems not default to accommodate the odd client-vetting misstep or anybody's extreme need for privacy. As Wes noted, there are mailboxes available.

Yes, Phyllis, a psycho could find an address without too much trouble but I still would prefer that mine had not been on his invoice. And I don't want a mailbox. In my mind, there is no reason for saying that an individual freelancer could not choose not to have their address on an invoice - that would not affect anyone else - especially since Upwork says that is a possibility. In other words, you do what you want and I would like to do what I want.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Joan, 

I took some interest in your concern and reviewed your ticket. I wanted to check if you have tried editing your Tax Information address by clicking on the pencil icon, and typing a new (valid) address in the "Start typing your address" field? Your address should auto-populate as you type along the field, and you can select it from the drop-down options that will pop-up as you type along. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 11.16.27 AM.png

~ Avery
Upwork
joansands
Community Member

Avery - What other "valid" address can I use? The tax information address apparently - must - use the address given in the profile address. I work from home and I have no other address. Why does my home address have to show up on an invoice - BUT - there is no address shown for a client!

2fc9c9fd
Community Member

@gilbert-phyllis: because we're not talking about banks or companies. We're talking about every random individual who uses our services. We're also talking about our home address most of the time. Most of us are not doing Upwork jobs from a corporate building, but from our own homes. There is NO reason we should be required to give our HOME address to every client. I'm confused as to how you don't understand why that is a problem. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members