🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is Upwork a fraud if they request your Skype?
Page options
0665f6c4
Community Member

Is Upwork a fraud if they request your Skype?

I recently joined Upwork and believed I had found an excellent job proofreading for a business. Multiple responsibilities would have been required for a temporary post.

They requested my full name, phone number, email address, a link to my Skype profile after our chat interview.

It's 2022, thus I no longer have a Skype. I thought this was suspicious because I seldom know any individuals who still use Skype.

Did I fall for a scam or did I pass up a genuine opportunity?

**edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
penngrp
Community Member

I suggest you read the Upwork Terms of Service (TOS), before they give you your walking papers and kick you off the site.  

759e32fa
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Yadav,

Thank you for reaching out to us. As a gentle reminder, please know that communicating outside Upwork prior to a contract starting is a violation of our Terms of Service

I would also suggest that you don't start working for a client unless a contract is already in place. Also, you can always send us a flag if you find anything suspicious so our team can investigate.

~ AJ
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I still use Skype, and I'm not a fraud, so that alone isn't suspicious. But for somebody to offer a great job to a new freelancer whose profile isn't filled out at all? Definite scam.

Well Christine why would anyone not hire him?  He only charges $0.0 per hour!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Upwork is not a fraud, but the client is. 

jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Maybe, maybe not.  Just remember that communicating off of the website before a contract is in place is against terms of service.  With that in mind, it is more probable than not, that something is not right...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members