🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is there a way to hide my ongoing jobs on...
Page options
duoweb_pro
Community Member

Is there a way to hide my ongoing jobs on Upwork and only show when it's complete?

16 REPLIES 16
colettelewis
Community Member

No. But why would you want to hide them?

Your photo is sideways - you should fix it.

Because if I get a job that takes a few hours to complete and I have a longer ongoing job the client will think I'm doing other jobs when I can be working on his alone to meet the deadline faster.

I think you're overconcerned about clients monitoring your profile, OP. A lot of us have multiple jobs in progress. I usually have 8-12 at any given time. It doesn't stop new clients from signing on or cause any other type of problems for me and I've never heard anyone report any kind of problems.

Transparency is a good thing.

I don't think that tansparency is a good thing.

Why is anyone supposed to know what I'm doing if it has nothing to do with their project? A lot of freelancers work part time and have a non-freelance job as well, yet they don't have that annoying "job in progress" status.

A lot of clients see that you are currently working on something else and they continue searching for another freelancer thinking you are too busy and won't be fully dedicated to their project. Its a first thing that comes to mind and its normal. Only few of those clients will stay a bit longer to check the job details and understand that its some small ongoing job that only takes 1-2 hours of your time per week. Other clients are already gone searching...because you are busy.

@Elena K wrote:

A lot of clients see that you are currently working on something else and they continue searching for another freelancer thinking you are too busy and won't be fully dedicated to their project. Its a first thing that comes to mind and its normal.

I assume you have data / proof to back this claim up?

Edited to add: Elena - Oh my gosh ... How absolutely charming are your illustrations. I am about to go and waste half an hour to smile at your portfolio Heart

I can actually understand why an Illustrator would have this concern, as the clients in that sector really are going to be looking at the number of open contracts. 

One of the first questions I receive when I bother to take on custom requests for my own art is in regards to how many (if any) orders I currently have in the queue, because every client wants to be sure I will have the time to complete their project not only within their deadline but also with the same quality standards I show in my own art.

For myself, that question is easy to field, as I rarely take orders, only take 1 at a time, and do not offer that service through UpWork.  Ever.  For an artist on UW it could become more complicated, as you are stuck explaining open contracts that may simply require one illustration here and there throughout the month.  To the client it still looks like a job taking up your time.

And I second what Petra said, those illustrations are absolutely lovely!  (and I fully blame her for the time I just spent looking through every single one).  I'm quite enamored with the Thunder in Heaven illustrations.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

Kathryn, not being contrary--this is a serious question. How do you see that as being different from other fields?

For example, as a writer, I usually have about ten open projects on Upwork (though I do more than half of my freelancing work outside of Upwork). A client who hires me to write a white paper or e-book or whatever has a deadline in mind...would that not raise the same issues? Isn't the same true for a programmer or a web designer, or anyone whose work requires personal attention to complete?

You're correct in seeing them in the same light.  For myself, I see the same issue across the board overall.  However, having dealt with graphics-based clients before, I have noticed there is a serious stigma towards ongoing contracts in progress, even outside of UpWork. 

I think the issue really boils down to client perspective.  While you and I realize that not all jobs are full schedule projects, others may not see it that way, or even bother to look.  This becomes even more of a hassle with clients that disappear, as we are stuck holding the ball on closing those contracts down the line.  Do we leave them open and risk a future client thinking we have too many jobs open (and risk our JSS due to inactive jobs), or do we risk our JSS with a "No feedback given" review that does not accurately tell the client anything at all?

By simply making it an option to have our Jobs in Progress kept private we bring in an easy filter that levels the board.  That way clients focus on job history, rather than Jobs in Progress that might be misleading.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

And yet the number of jobs in progress is not always misleading and can deliver valuable information.

Somebody with 60+ jobs would not get hired by me. That screams farmer.

I recently saw a profile with 40+ jobs in progress. I have to say - unless you a subcontracting half if it I cannot see anyone juggling such a workload properly (=making clients happy). And no, those are not old jobs. And the provider seems already busy with adding to their extensive academic curriculum at the same time.

That would make me ask a lot of questions as well.

Like with everything, there are two sides to it.

@Elena K wrote:

A lot of clients see that you are currently working on something else and they continue searching for another freelancer thinking you are too busy and won't be fully dedicated to their project. Its a first thing that comes to mind and its normal. Only few of those clients will stay a bit longer to check the job details and understand that its some small ongoing job that only takes 1-2 hours of your time per week. Other clients are already gone searching...because you are busy.

They do?

That's interesting and surprising information that is contrary to my experience and the experience of many successful freelancers who have discussed this issue in the past. It sounds like you have some important data that isn't available to us -- looking forward to a link or citation that will allow the rest of us to benefit from that information.

Hello Tiffany,

I have seen this to be a big problem and not once, multiple times- where, even 4 open jobs were a big problem for my active client and they ended the contract stating that specific thing and created big issues.

Also, there is not one case, I have multiple cases for it.

melaniemaghanoy
Community Member

Hi Ronnie,

Currently, we do not have feature to hide ongoing job on profile. Should we have it in the future updates, we will let you know.

As what Nichola mentioned on her response, your Profile photo is showing sideways, we strongly suggest that you fix that as well.

pearlkrishn
Community Member

Hi Lanie M,

Any update on this feature? 

Hi Muthukrishnan,

Thank you for your message. This feature is not available yet. We will post new feature updates in the Community.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
abatyuk
Community Member

It’s been the sixth year since you’ve been implementing this feature. During these 6 years Upwork has implemented features to make money on connects, but when will you think about freelancers? When is this feature scheduled to be implemented? Please answer community.

PLEASE REPORT THIS ISSUE TO THE TEAM WE NEED THIS FEATURE REMOVED FROM THE APP ASAP , IT IS ACTUALLY AN ISSUE NOT EVEN A FEATURE , BECAUSE CLIENTS LIKE TO LEAVE CONTRACTS OPEN IN CASE THEY WOULD LIKE TO DO MORE WORK IN THE SOON FUTURE REGARDING THE SAME PROJECT WHICH MAKES OTHER CLIENTS THINK THAT I AM BUSY ON OTHER PROJECTS SO I SHOULD EITHER CLOSE THE CONTRACT AND LOSE ANY CHANCE IN THE FUTURE WITH THIS CLIENT AND I LOSE MONEY OR I KEEP IT AND I LOSE OTHER FUTURE CLIENTS WHICH WILL MAKE ME LOSE MONEY TOO. 

HOPEFULLY THE TEAM WOULD UNDERSTAND HOW BAD THIS FEATURE IS!! 

NOT ONLY THAT BUT THEY UPDATED IT TO SHOW ALLL OF THE ON GOING JOBS EVEN THE ONES THAT DOES NOT YET HAVE PAID MILESTONES LIKE WHAT ???? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members