🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Is there something wrong with the algorit...
Page options
valeriechu
Community Member

Is there something wrong with the algorithm on "Best Matches" and "Most Recent" features?

Hi Upwork,

I noticed that around a week or so ago the jobs displayed on my job feed respectively on "Best Matches" and "Most Recent" changed drastically. What happened is that the skills required for these jobs displayed do not match my skills, such as:

- A Korean translation job is displayed on my job feed while I don't have any keywords associated with "Korean"; 

- A job related with tags of "cryptocurrency" and "blockchain" showed up while again it's not my specialty listed on my profile;

- A job looking for a secret shopper in a location where I'm not linked. 

I'm not so sure if this only happens to me or to others as well. But this change actually didn't help me find suitable jobs as easily as before. Could you please help take a look? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
virtualbrix
Community Member

I am sure that the Upwork team is constantly tweaking the Algorithm, As does Google and others.

Hi Sam, are you encountering the same issue? 

BTW, I just read your thread on offering help to fellow freelancers on UW. Kudos to you!

Yes, for me, it changes every few days. I feel at times, they are testing, sometimes the recommendations look perfect and at others, not so much. I appreciate the kind words, just doing my best to help others.

I log in to UW via my phone App every day to see what's new in the job market. And the change mentioned in my first post was never that obvious, at least I didn't notice. But the recent change in my job feeds somewhat caught my attention, unfortunately, not in a good way. 

That makes sense, I usually like to look at the feed every couple days but when I want to get new clients, I will do my searches, I have a list of keywords I search for such as "ppc", "pay per click", "google ads", "google adwords" and so on. I can better control what I see. Since you are in a very specific niche, it makes sense to look at the job feed where Upwork should show you what is relevant for your skill set. I am sure they are trying all kinds of things in the background and as you can see, at times, does not work very well : )

virtualbrix
Community Member

I will keep a close eye on my feed here in the next few days and let you know : )

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members