🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this a scam alert?
Page options
0c44d8f2
Community Member

Is this a scam alert?

I received a direct offer from a client without any prior discussion. He just attached what he wanted done with the offer. I have scheduled a meeting with him but we haven't had it yet.
I'm just being skeptical because I have received a direct message on Upwork but not a direct offer.

The client's job is on a website design. His domain name and business email match. Has anyone experienced this before, receiving a direct offer from a new client?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fcac4c1d
Community Member

Hi, Alice.

Clients can find you in the freelancer list as a suitable person for the job and invite you for the interview. They usually invite several freelancers if they liked their profiles. You may check the job posting and see how many freelancers the client invited in the 'Interviewing' column.

It doesn't mean you'll get an offer but it's not a sign of scam for sure. I've got 2 projects from these. You may accept the invitation and communicate to the client. Just be careful if the client has a clean account. By being careful I mean don't start until the funds are secured in Escrow or you're under the Hours Protection.

Once again, invitation doesn't mean an offer. It's just an interest to your profile. I had an invitation once and asked some questions. The client never responded.

Scam is usually if the "client" want you to buy something or pay for something. Or grants / promises you a huge pile of money. Which is usually followed by an offer to buy / pay for something or work for free / in advance.

Just keep in mind a free cheese is a sign of rat trap and even the best promises mean nothing.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
luqman_mak
Community Member

I have receieved similar offers twice now from the same client, about 8 months apart.
money was funded in escrow, instructions were adequate if you know how to get it done and client only came online on deadline date to give a revision.
It doesnt necessary mean its a scam but it could be a potential revision trap/ client disapproval if you are not careful so reaching out to discuss is a good call

Thanks for the assurance, Luqman.

The instructions were actually clear. I just need access to some stuffs from the client. He seems like the kinda person as described; just wanting the job sone. And because I've never received such direct offer before got me worried as I don't want my JSS affected for accepting such offer.

Hopefully, I get to discuss with the client tomorrow.

a4615f97
Community Member

Are you able to post some info for the person/Client reaching out? Curious about it because I also received offer in direct email for Web Development today

I responded to the client who returned back my message. The only confirmation I have is by going on a zoom call which we scheduled for today through his calendly but he had to reschedule for tomorrow. 

Hopefully, we get to discuss tomorrow. 

Hi, Nestor. 

Try going on a call with the client. The offer is actually legit at my end.

fcac4c1d
Community Member

Hi, Alice.

Clients can find you in the freelancer list as a suitable person for the job and invite you for the interview. They usually invite several freelancers if they liked their profiles. You may check the job posting and see how many freelancers the client invited in the 'Interviewing' column.

It doesn't mean you'll get an offer but it's not a sign of scam for sure. I've got 2 projects from these. You may accept the invitation and communicate to the client. Just be careful if the client has a clean account. By being careful I mean don't start until the funds are secured in Escrow or you're under the Hours Protection.

Once again, invitation doesn't mean an offer. It's just an interest to your profile. I had an invitation once and asked some questions. The client never responded.

Scam is usually if the "client" want you to buy something or pay for something. Or grants / promises you a huge pile of money. Which is usually followed by an offer to buy / pay for something or work for free / in advance.

Just keep in mind a free cheese is a sign of rat trap and even the best promises mean nothing.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot, Sergei. 

It wasn't an invitation at all. It was a direct message with an hourly rate offer. I haven't started any work though. 

Your response has given me an assurance. Thank you.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Well, if it was a direct message just suggest to hire you. Until you work through Escrow you're relatively safe. Scammers usually don't want to be bothered a lot by disputes and disappear to look for the other victim in this case. They need a mass.

If the client agrees to work via Upwork without any doubts it's usually a good sign.

Hi, Sergei. 

The client actually wants to work via Upwork. We've discussed and the offer is legit.

Great! It's nice the things worked out.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Direct offers are rare for me, and I do find them a bit unsettling. I think it's the idea that hiring is one-sided and the freelancer has nothing to say about whether they want to work with the client or not - it's presumptuous, though not necessarily a scam. But in my case, like you, I was like, "Not so fast - I'm going to need more details and a meeting first." Just don't accept the offer until you have a chance to talk to the client and you're comfortable with all of the requirements. 

Thank you, Christine. 

I've gone on a call with the client and the offer has been accepted. It's legit.

I'm glad that it's worked out for you. 🙂 It's better to be too cautious than not cautious enough. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members