🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Is this a scam?
Page options
907da17e
Community Member

Is this a scam?

Hello!

I was contacted for a job thru UPWORK, however he sent me a link to Skype...The job was for proofreading. He "hired" me thru Skype....I received an email from UPWORK the following day saying they removed his post because it was in violation of their TOS. .....

So when I Skyped, he gave me a link to my "supervisor" in Skype....she seemed off...the whole situation seemed off...it was like pulling teeth to try and get information from her.  She was very vague. She told me they'd send me a check for a laptop, printer , software and I would need to take it "somewhere" to get their software intstalled.  Today I received a check in the mail for $6200 with three pages of strict instructions on what to do with it. It said to email him when I received the check...the email address is a hotmail address and not a company address. Also, the address on the check is listed as a husband and wife in CT.

I have not heard anything for two days from my "supervisor" and I actually lost my message thread from her.

Any thoughts???? 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, this is a scam.

You are not ready to work on Upwork yet.

You violated many Upwork rules.

These rules are in place to protect you.

Freelancers can be suspended for these violations.

Continue studying.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

907da17e
Community Member

I certainly did NOT mean to violate the rules. But thanks for the link.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members