🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » It is really hard to get a good job on Upwork
Page options
4302ae5a
Community Member

It is really hard to get a good job on Upwork

Well, I have joined Upwork. I know it from my friends and I think this is a great way for me to get a remote job with high salary which will deserve to my skills and experience. I do not know just newbie can get 60 connects, then  after that I just have 10 ones. lol, I applied a lot but some days later, I have no more connect. Everything is very competitive.  No mess at all which I think I was confident when I applied relying on description. I bought 7 $ for more connects. It still doesnt make sense. I just hope to receive just an interview to get more belief and hope. 

Now,  I am still waiting for the miracle. It is so tough for me.

Does anyone have the situation like me?

Thanks for reading!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
elisa_b
Community Member

Your profile is set to private. 

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
iqbalaqaba
Community Member

First of all, welcome! I hope you'll land more job in this platform anytime soon and yes, it happened to everyone, even me, a top rated plus talent didn't get as much invitation as 3 months ago, i dont know what happened, never had this issues before 😅

Yep, it means that we have to invest in connects and make sure the Jobs fit us. I check mes and pray for it day by day 

Best of luck man!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

You are doing things in the wrong order. You should not apply to any jobs before your profile is optimized. You lack a portfolio, your overview is sparse. 7+ year exp on working in the international environment  What does this tell me as a client? That you can't be bothered to spell out experience. Plus your text lacks any kind of client focus, so I suspect you have not gone through the Academy courses or the help section and learned how to write a convincing client centered overview. 

And no, you are not the only person in this situation. Millions of people are. I still believe newbies can be successful on upwork, but only if they do everything right. Or at least try. 

What valuable advice! I admit that my profile and portfolio is not good at all.  Could you please show me how to learn about what you mention above. I just focus on my IT skills, therefore, it is quite hard for me. I agree.

------- >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

look to the right, there is the Academy. 

How to know my profile optimized?

Come back in a week after you have implemented what you learned. Now there's not much there to improve upon. 

I really liked it that you looked into it and told him what needs to be done without any kind of relation or without any kind of profit in it, would you please look at my profile once and would tell me, what are the things I need to change, meanwhile I'll have a look at the Academy.

esehous
Community Member

I have the same situation. Or am I impatient?
?

elisa_b
Community Member

Your profile is set to private. 

4302ae5a
Community Member

Can you help me to check again. Have it been privated yet? Many thanks !

Your profile is not set to private. The message was not directed to you. 

Yepp, I am so silly about this. Could you please look back again. I am trying to adjust every thing better?

I checked your badges and you didn't take even one Academy course. Again, I encourage you to do them. There is really no short-cut to invest a little time and study upwork, it is the better strategy than waiting for a miracle. There are no miracles, only hard work and persistence, and a good strategy. 

If you really don't feel you want to do that, at least check out other freelancers offering the same skill-set. 

Where is  Academy course? I cant find it.

Hi BaoAnh,

You can access Upwork Academy courses using this link. Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
elisa_b
Community Member

Please remember that you have to make an excellent impression with the first 2-3 lines of your bio.

You are currently "wasting" them with two sentences conveying little to no importance to clients (e.g. "Vietnam- a developing country of South East Asia" - you are not here to teach geography. Or "FPT university- a famous university in Vietnam about technological applications" - clients wouldn't care about this). 

Focus more on what you can DO for the clients; avoid listing your skills repetitively. The profile description is not a curriculum vitae - consider it more like a marketing pitch.

Try to put yourself in a client's shoes having a request or a problem: what would you look for in a freelancer? Somebody taking care of your exact needs, who is able to communicate that clearly and convincingly, or somebody just listing their skills?

Best of luck.

4302ae5a
Community Member

I am so graceful to hear what you show me. I am trying to change it. Many thanks

a16eabc1
Community Member

Elisa B, It's good advice by the way I like it.

Thanks.

02dc2b7c
Community Member

Hi Upwork support team and community,

I am new to Upwork. I have also identity verification badge on my profile.

Upwork is asking me to upload my utility bill. I have uploaded my identity card.

I have not any bill or bank account on my name, so I am using my husband's utility bill and upload it on Upwork.

Upwork is asking same thing " please upload your own utility bill" but I have no on my name.

I'm now worry about this issue. My client was waiting to hire me because account is on hold and he can't hire me.

I'm requesting you to approve my husband utility or electricity bill. Please resolve this issue as soon as possible. Because I can't afford to lose my client.

Waiting for your response. Thanks in advance

@upwork

Kind regards,
Khursheed khatoon

elisa_b
Community Member

Khursheed K wrote:

I have not any bill or bank account on my name, so I am using my husband's utility bill and upload it on Upwork.

Then you will probably not be able to withdraw any money, too. You need to have also a payment method featuring your name.

59a0e1cd
Community Member

I feel it the same way, I'm still waiting for a blessing to come. 

cfa8534f
Community Member

I'm think you should get some certification to show of your skill to the client.

You can get free 80 connects when completed upwork Readiness Test. Hope these connects can make you find firts job. Fightingg !!

hey, can you show me where on the page, that's so valuable ^^

Sadly, I just do some google search and this test has closed. Upwork Readiness Test - Upwork Community

milisav_r
Community Member

I do not agree with you and no it is not hard to get a good job at all. I rather pick the job and the client I want to work with but road to success is not easy in order to get 10-15 direct offers per week from clients every week, no matter if you are busy or not they just keep sending you an offers and you keep declining them until you see something that you think is the right job for you and the hourly that you deserve.

In order to get there you just need to stop using proposal templates from all over the internet and stop listening to YouTube tards that just ned your click for successfull video and money making on their end.

So try catching the right offer in first 5min. of publishing by client and try to write a 2-3 sentences honest proposal with a bid that is not the lowest but fair and they will appreciate you more and your winning chances increase. On the other hand if you bid low and trying to win by being the cheapest one - as a client I would never hire you because I need it to be done fast, quality and fair price work so I don't need to rehire anyone else to improve the work after you.

So in my personal opinion the most important thing is to be very very concise in cover letter 2-3 sentences about how you understood the work-demand perfectly, you are the right person for this because... and your experience talks for yourself.

Try that strategy and let us know how it goes, I was bidding last time last year if I remember correctly and from 2 proposals I Sent 1 client was mine. In the past when I did nmot have many hours as I do now, usually sent 3 proposals and 1 is accepted by clients and that was my ratio since I started working via UpWork platform so do not tell me if it's hard or easy, just stop llistening to multiple YouTube gurus and guys on Forum that has low or non-experience in working this way. Try to listen people who has success working this way and check what they have on their profiles, try to learn something from ythat and use it on your profile but your way.

PS. Stop crying like a baby, working online is not for weak and people with no patience, if you are good - the work will come, you just need to believe in yourself and if you crave for a miracle the job will bever show up trust me, you need to take initiative and put some effort in order to accomplish good things while working online.

I think I helped enough, the rest is on you.

Best regards,
Mickey

ksmnerva
Community Member

I'm experiencing the same thing, especially my profile got set to private. Now, I'm just trying to do things differently. Still no projects but we'll see. Best of luck

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members