🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS dropped
Page options
ibangajnr
Community Member

JSS dropped

Hello.

This is my very first post here, though I have read a ton!

About a month ago, I woke up to find that my JSS had suddenly dropped from a perfect 100% to 89%, making me lose my Top-Rated badge. I was devastated as I couldn't just find out why. I had glowing reviews from all my clients and 100% said they would recommend me. The only thing I could point to was an offer I accepted from a client who became unreachable immediately after. He didn't respond to my 10s of messages. I had to end the contract since I didn't want another week to pass without any activity on the project.

I had thought that my JSS will show some signs of recovery, but no! It is still at 89% after two update cycles (last one today) and a few added jobs with pleased clients. What is going on? Is this some kind of bug?

I must add that just a few days ago, my client recommendation dropped to 75%, but that still doesn't explain why the JSS is fixed at 89% for 2 whole cycles.

It is frustrating for someone like me who strives to meet and, most times, exceed my clients' expectations. I had expected my JSS to reflect my efforts and my clients' rating of my work, as I have been rehired by a few of them.

Maybe someone with more experience can help me out. I am missing out on some jobs due to this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elmir,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,019 REPLIES 1,019

Hi Ravindra,

Thank you for your message. I checked your account and I would like to confirm that your JSS is correct. Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-, 12-, and 24 months windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score.

If you have not completed enough jobs in your 6 months to calculate 6 month score from, your JSS will be calculated from your 12- or 24-month score windows. Take note that contracts fall out of your calculation windows.

We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork

Hi Pradeep

Thank you for your confirming that there are other criteria, one being the number of jobs in a window.

I had raised these questions:

1) Is these any other criterion in the computation of the JSS?

2) Is there any stipulation on the number of jobs required to be completed in the last six months before the 6-month window can be used for the JSS computation?

I have had another quick look at the help article: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-My-Job-Success-Score.

I may have missed the number of jobs required in the 6-month window for it to become effective.

What is the number of jobs for the 6-month window to qualify?

Shouldn’t the number of jobs required be mentioned in the help article?

Best regards,

Ravindra

"Certa bonum certamen"

Hi Ravindra, 

I understand you'd like to know more, however we aren't able to share details about the calculation beyond what's already been shared here and in the public help articles.

Thanks,

~ Valeria
Upwork

Okay, Valeria.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Ravindra

"Certa bonum certamen"

I think they don't give exact number of jobs for the 6 months window to qualify to prevent manipulations. Which is good. Still, the way JSS is counted is hilarious. It should be noted that JSS shouldn't be counted at all if the freelancer takes several weeks (or months) off, for various reasons. Because this is irrelevant to count empty weeks without jobs towards "job" success score. No job, no score. Logic. Not giving ideas because they fall on deaf ears but... counting only completed jobs without any time frame would be more fair. In the end, it is about jobs completed and if they were succesful or not, why add time frame to the already messed up mix (hidden feedback, that is something that shouldn't ever exist). 

The JSS calculation will always remain mysterious.

It was never my intention to game the system.

I am so used to having a perfect score that when it came back and then vanished, I was at a complete loss.

"Certa bonum certamen"
jdvines
Community Member

I recently had a client who fraudulently complained about an editing job I did for him purely for the reason of getting me to agree to end the contract without him having to pay me anything. I did so just to be rid of this client and was willing to take the ($500) loss. I got the impression that he was mentally unstable and he actually frightened me a bit. I didn't realize that not challenging him on this would negatively impact my JSS rating. He only provided one example of how I did a poor job in editing, as follows:

(Original text that I did not change)

"Interestingly enough, in this connection, the Canopic Jars of the four sons of Horus have also been described as vessels of purification"

(Client's example of how I should have edited this sentence)

"Surprisingly, the Canopic Jars of the four sons of Horus have been described as vessels of purification"

This is obviously ludicrous. The client's justification for wanting to get out of the contract went like this:

"You left it without any correction. With due respect to you, I won't be able to approve this line edit. If you do not want to edit my work the way it should be, please let me go and thanks for your time.I am 58 years old and I do not want to argue with you; please let me go."

(me)

"It would be best for you to find another editor. You don't owe me anything. It was my privilege and honor to have been selected by you. Warm regards, JD"

(client)

How can I do that? What about my payment?

(me)

You can ask Upwork for a refund and as soon as they contact me I will approve it immediately.

(client)

Thank you so much for understanding. I am sorry. Please have a nice day

So, what did I do wrong? The Upwork JSS punished me for this, even though I thought I was being unselfish and gracious. I guess you just have to fight these people, is that right?

jdvines
Community Member

Hi, I have another JSS mystery. I just completed a $8250 book writing job for a client. He left a five star review and this comment:

"JD was responsive, punctual, diligent, and thorough in his performance on this project. He got to work quickly and proactively to complete the work within the timeline we intended, made mid-course corrections and adjustments seamlessly and demonstrated a strong degree of professionalism throughout. I never give people five stars, but I'll make an exception on this one."

As a result of this review, my JSS dropped by one point. Can anyone explain why this review would damage my JSS?  Is there someone at Upwork that I can speak to directly about my recent issues with my JSS?

arooj78
Community Member

No, you did nothing wrong by agreeing to the refund. 
BUT
A more mature way to handle the situation would be to charge lesser than the agreed amount & ask the client to end the contract. 
You don't know what reason he told Upwork to get the refund. 
Poor quality? bad communication? Bad skills? Or what. 

All types of feedback impact the JSS, public, private, disputes, refunds, and all. 

For the $8250 project you talked about, I don't belive your JSS falls down due to a 5* review. 
Rather it'd be coz of the overall activity of the last 12 months as it counts. You might remember your JSS decline over the last 12 months. That will remain the reason until you entered into a 12 month phase of 90% JSS. 

JD V wrote:

I recently had a client who fraudulently complained about an editing job I did for him purely for the reason of getting me to agree to end the contract without him having to pay me anything. 

Did the client ask for copy editing or line editing or just editing?

"Certa bonum certamen"

He asked for line editing.

Hi JD,

I have sent you a PM.

Best regards,

Ravi

"Certa bonum certamen"
jetpromaster
Community Member

First one was an unresponsive client who I only spoke once in a 3 weeks task who has never went online ever since and and just suddenly showed up and ended the contract. Now just today I just finished a job, all were smooth, until client realizes she bought the wrong template. We were screen sharing, I confirmed and ask if this is the template she wanted and she kept saying yes and she was very excited. But all of a suddent today, its not what she wanted anymore.. I'm confused now my JSS crashed ... I lack so much sleep just to have a good JSS. but yet this kind of incidents make it seems so unfair. Don't you think upwork should find solutions to this kind situations? is there anyway a client can edit their submitted feedback? Cuz what if they just made a mistake? Is there no way to undo that any longer?

Thank you.

Hi Tom,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, jobs falling out the calculation window, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Thank you sir.

osamahussain
Community Member

My JSS score keeps dropping by 10% every week a month ago it was at 87% now it is at 43%, I understand I wasn't active for a but now that it's at 43% & I can't get clients anymore and since I can't get any clients I can't raise my score last week it was 53 so I started bidding hoping to get more active and now it's 43%.

Hi Osama,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, jobs falling out the calculation window, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more. 

~ Arjay
Upwork
f89178d8
Community Member

I have the same problem, I have 5 finished jobs and gotten only 5 star reviews with good client communication, but somehow my JSS dropped from 100% to 75% in the blink of an eye. This is a big problem since it's already hard to find clients being new on UpWork, and even harder when the JSS dropped and does not reflect my client satisfaction. 

I left two proposals in which the clients contacted me and then went inactive (for about 10 days), before an offer even was on the table. I am suspecting that these encounters are counting as 0 star reviews or something like that in the JSS calculation. UpWork needs to do something about this!

albertwijaya168
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I recently noticed that my job success score has dropped to 92%, even though I can't remember having any incomplete jobs for my clients. I am a little confused about why this happened.

I always make sure to provide high-quality work and deliver it on time, and I am not sure why my score has decreased. I am concerned that this may affect my future job opportunities on the platform.

Can anyone offer some insight or suggestions on what may have caused this to happen and how I can improve my score?

Thank you for your help and advice.

Hi Albert,

Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-, 12-, and 24 months windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. It looks like you haven't been active on Upwork, and the gap between your first job and your next job had a 5-month interval. If you have not completed a job for months, it might mean that there are not enough jobs in your 12, or 24-month window to calculate a 12- or 24-month score from, so it has to calculate your JSS from your 6-month windows. Take note that contracts fall out of your calculation windows. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.

~ AJ
Upwork
collin-robert
Community Member

I'm a video editor with a 93% JSS score.  In the past 3 months I have not been able to land any jobs.  I'm just curious about why that is.  I wonder if there are less jobs, or more freelancers, and why that is.  Is it because of AI or Covid?  I'm surprised by the drastic drop in hires.

-C

Collin, 

I do understand how you feel. I am a Spanish translator and I am very surprise in the drop of hires. I used to have a lot of job opportunities every week and I was pretty content. Suddenly, all have changed. I am not sure what it can be.  I lost many clients and I am buying a lot of connects to apply for the job and it is hard to be awarded with a job. No too many invitations as I used to have.  I hope things get better for you.  

Maybe someone can tell us what is going on. 

zeri13
Community Member

I don't understand why a small contract worth $7 had a greater impact on my profile, causing my Job Success Score to increase from 84 to 90, compared to my biggest earning contract. Furthermore, I had another successful contract with the same client, yet my JSS only increased from 87 to 89%. I don't believe it's due to private feedback, as I'm confident everything went well. This calculation seems illogical to me.

zeri13
Community Member

Hi! 

I don't understand why a small contract worth $7 had a greater impact on my profile, causing my Job Success Score to increase from 84 to 90, compared to my biggest earning contract. Furthermore, I had another successful contract with the same client, yet my JSS only increased from 87 to 89%. I don't believe it's due to private feedback, as I'm confident everything went well. This calculation seems illogical to me.

acc7acb0
Community Member

Hi Zehrina,

I'm new to freelancing. Yesterday, I received my Job Success Score (JSS), which is 73%. I have completed 4 jobs and received 5-star ratings from 3 clients, and a 4.8-star rating from one client. I don't understand what the issue might be, as I completed the tasks as instructed by the clients and within the given deadlines. Do you have any suggestions on how I can improve my JSS?

Hi Zehrina,

Hi Zehrina,

Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-, 12-, and 24 months windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.

~ AJ
Upwork
zeri13
Community Member

And how about this? "A job with higher earnings will always impact your Job Success Score (JSS) more than a smaller job." So I finished my contract successfully, even got bonus from client+ made another contract with same client and it impacted my profile less than contract worth 7$. I just dont think this is fair. Additionaly I would like to get response that is not automaticly generated. Thanks!

4f39b91c
Community Member

Hello Upwork Community,

It's Sunday means - updating the JSS. It was 89% when I checked in the evening and when I checked it now it's - 82%. I have no idea what went wrong as I got positive feedback and ratings on my recent jobs - the only one that isn't 5 stars is 4.65 stars (there isn't much difference). 

Also - I asked a client to change their feedback as they only gave the rating but as it was a positive feedback could it affect the JSS?

Can anyone please explain this to me? I've been working very hard ever since I've received the JSS as it was 52% (3-4 months back) and now seeing it being dropped again lowers my confidence and demotivates me.

Thank You 

Tahmeeda W wrote:

Hello Upwork Community,

It's Sunday means - updating the JSS. It was 89% when I checked in the evening and when I checked it now it's - 82%. I have no idea what went wrong as I got positive feedback and ratings on my recent jobs - the only one that isn't 5 stars is 4.65 stars (there isn't much difference). 

Also - I asked a client to change their feedback as they only gave the rating but as it was a positive feedback could it affect the JSS?

Can anyone please explain this to me? I've been working very hard ever since I've received the JSS as it was 52% (3-4 months back) and now seeing it being dropped again lowers my confidence and demotivates me.

Thank You 

I guess the customer who left 4.65 must have left a not-so-good private comment.

And don't ask the client to change comments or rating, that can annoy them and it's unprofessional. Also, suppose you ask a not-too-happy client to change the comments and stars, clients tell you that they will do it and since they are angry or annoyed by your request, it changes both for the worse.

Public comments and stars don't really affect JSS much. It's more of an aesthetic issue at heart.

Keep working!

meteavc
Community Member

Dear Upwork,

The only thing I cared about in this GREATEST freelancing platform was keeping my JSS as 100%. What you have done to my JSS is so unfair that I might sue Upwork for this. You killed my brand identity, made me look like a careless person. As a linguist, I am really strict in terms of professionalism and I regret to inform you that the Upwork platform is no longer functional, at least for me.

As I said, I always cared about my score. It represents my brand identity. Suddenly it became 93% instead of 100%. I do not need an unfair platform.

It has been about 4 years here for me, I just want to be in Denmark but they do not give visa to Turks 😞

Start:

I tried contacting with you through every channel available but I see that you are not interested in taking further tickets. So, I had to let people know about this huge - well, I do not expect you to comprehend it but the bug is huge. Everyone needs to know about this. I fear that it will not only affect the JSS but do more critical on the rest of the system.

Why (estimated):

A client hired me on a 2hr/week task.

He suddenly ended the conract.

Upwork Support that the contract would not affect my score.

And guess what happened?

What:

I lost 7% out of my 100% JSS over 45 tasks.

I do not even know why. I always received 5.0 feedback.

I could not even send a ticket through the Upwork page. There is literally no option! No cash, and it is summer? You are dead in Eskişehir Road...

As a loyal user to your platform (actually, I brought many people), I just want to understand why. What do I need to do? I cannot even contact the support!

Results:

I will not be accepting tasks from trolls.
I lost my Trust in Upwork.

Comments:

If Upwork does not make my score 100% back again, as it has always been, I will quit using this platform; only because YOU DISABLE THE SUPPORT/CHAT/TICKET/DISPUTE options and PUT BOTS INSTEAD. There is NO WAY TO INTERACT WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE with such a platform, especially in the times we needed most. Overall, this is just a notification for what is going to happen. I do not believe that Upwork with so many users will assume it as a real threat.

I fear that that the result is that, as experienced Upwork users, we are not a threat to Upwork! Upwork has so many users that it does not have to care about those who have been using Upwork for 4+ years^^

Notes:

Fix my issue!!! Please!!! I want justice! I am not a fan of losing my brand identity to a bug in your platform.

You're wasting time contacting support. They will give you a template answer and a link as JSS calculated. The rules are a secret and no one will answer you why the rating has fallen realy.

But you can try if you want.

Hi Mete,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on 6-, 12-, and 24 months windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. If you do not have enough jobs in your 12, or 24-month window to calculate a 12- or 24-month score, we have to calculate your JSS from your 6-month windows. Take note that contracts fall out of your calculation windows. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here

I will also share your concern with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you using a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your support tickets here .

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
meteavc
Community Member

Dear Pradeep H,

Firstly, I thank you for consideration.

However, I already know how all the system works and who is responsible for the minus 7% on my score. I already reported it.

The issue is with Upwork and nothing else.

Upwork simply does not care enough about how users behave.

One user intentionally reduced my score, on an hourly contract, WITHOUT GIVING ME THE CHANCE TO WORK. Then he reduced my score. This is a purely immoral and evil-intended action. Is there no working system to punish him? I AM the one PUNISHED right now, and FOR NOTHING.

meteavc_1-1684625852381.png

I am sorry for the aggressive tone of my language but there is no other way of telling this.

meteavc_2-1684625882232.png

I am 100% sure that this affected my score because Upwork allows secret feedback even when the client suddenly ends the contract for no reason. If there is anybody who thinks that this is fair, I am done here.

Also, on an hourly contract, am I not granted the chance to start working when I am AVAILABLE?

Upwork must immediately regulate its rules as follows:
If you start a contract and suddenly end it, you WILL NOT HAVE the option to RATE the freelancer. Because you do not have the information on how the freelancer works, since you ended the contract before letting him/her begin.

Freelancers MUST HAVE the ability to observe any feedback including ALL NEGATIVES; otherwise, how will they DEVELOP THEMSELVES? If I do not know what is missing, how can I ever find it?

The topic is marked as SOLVED, how? What does the common sense say?

I demand immediate action on Re: JSS from 100 to 93 for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING by Upwork Developers, not moderators or customer service representatives.

Thank you.

n_pudikova
Community Member

Can please someone explain how come all 5 stars reviews and 100% of recommendations resulted in drop of JSS by 5%?

Thank you. 

abuoviee
Community Member

I understand your frustration. JSS can be affected by various factors, including private feedback, long-term contracts, and job success trends. It's best to reach out to Upwork support for a detailed explanation of your specific case and to see if there are any issues or bugs causing the JSS to remain at 89%.

They will be able to provide you with more insight and guidance to help resolve this situation.

robelencallanta
Community Member

Hi, Upwork and freelancers. I am really struggling with Upwork that I plan to abandon this platform altogether. A past client caused my JSS to drop from 100 percent to 89 percent for some reason. Now, I have really tried my best to do well in my new client and while our contract is still in force and I get good feedback from my present client, my JSS drop again to 79 percent for no reason. This is annoying and no reason was stated at all for me to know what is the parameter that caused my JSS to drop even further.

And it dropped to 76 percent. why? This is not fair that I just have to accept this change in JSS when I am doing my best.

Hi Robelen-Ann,

I’m sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
robelencallanta
Community Member

What do you mean by jobs completed in the past? I have a client that paused the contract because of a miscommunication since july of last year but we just terminated our contract last february 2023. And I have an unresponsive client since last year that I just ended. How do these affect my JSS?

3595b5bb
Community Member

Hi Upwork, I have completed 3 jobs by gaining 5-star public and private feedback from the clients. There is one job that has not had any feedback and according to Upwork no feedback given does not affect JSS. I have asked clients and they have said that we have given you 5-star private feedback. After gaining positive public and private feedback then why my JSS is 21%? This is very low. And that's why I am not getting any further job. Please take a look at my JSS. And calculate it in a perfect way. 

Thanks!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members