🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS dropped
Page options
ibangajnr
Community Member

JSS dropped

Hello.

This is my very first post here, though I have read a ton!

About a month ago, I woke up to find that my JSS had suddenly dropped from a perfect 100% to 89%, making me lose my Top-Rated badge. I was devastated as I couldn't just find out why. I had glowing reviews from all my clients and 100% said they would recommend me. The only thing I could point to was an offer I accepted from a client who became unreachable immediately after. He didn't respond to my 10s of messages. I had to end the contract since I didn't want another week to pass without any activity on the project.

I had thought that my JSS will show some signs of recovery, but no! It is still at 89% after two update cycles (last one today) and a few added jobs with pleased clients. What is going on? Is this some kind of bug?

I must add that just a few days ago, my client recommendation dropped to 75%, but that still doesn't explain why the JSS is fixed at 89% for 2 whole cycles.

It is frustrating for someone like me who strives to meet and, most times, exceed my clients' expectations. I had expected my JSS to reflect my efforts and my clients' rating of my work, as I have been rehired by a few of them.

Maybe someone with more experience can help me out. I am missing out on some jobs due to this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elmir,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,019 REPLIES 1,019

ChromeOS Chrome Extension development project

Feb 20, 2023 - Oct 24, 2023

No feedback given 

👆Your JSS dropped a bit due to this recent project ending without any public feedback and the possibility that the client left private feedback.

Agreed! I recently ended contract with a client and he gave me bad feedback while I gave him the 100% work as per his expectations and I was surprised to know about this feedback then I checked the client's previous history with other freelancers and he almost give every freelancer a bad feedback IDK why......Is there any possible way to request Upwork to verify all the details and remove this feedback.

3492f546
Community Member

Hello,

In August 2023 I joined Upwork and in that month I secured my first Job, I started giving my full time to Upwork and completed 6 jobs with 5 Star reviews while 4 are in progress with weekly time tracking on them.

I was meeting all the eligibility criteria including earnings above $1k etc to be Top Rated and there were only two weeks left for the last eligibility which is "First project on upwork must be 90 days old".
I was very excited and from nowhere, this Sunday when i took a look on my JSS, it was dropped directly from 100% to 89%.

All of my clients were really great and provided me 5-star reviews and I know in private feedback i must got great reviews but I am so heartbroken due to my JSS drop.
I think there are some other factors in JSS calculation which upwork is not showing because I read each and everything about this and I was well aware of all the factors that upwork mentioned to calculate JSS and I was working accordingly.

If anyone can help while taking a look on my profile and suggest me some good ideas that will be appreciated.

Thank You

5e04f6fd
Community Member

Hello Team,

I have nothing but 5-star reviews on my profile. I have had a Rising Talent badge for over a year now. The last job was done a week ago, and it ended in a 5-star review. But yesterday, all of a sudden, the JSS dropped from  100% to 86% overnight, and the Rising Talent Badge disappeared. There must be a glitch with my profile, and I need someone to straighten it out. Can someone help me with this?

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 6.21.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-10-30 at 6.23.44 PM.png

Waqas,

It means one or more clients gave a less than glowing Private Review back to Upwork.

ed87b11d
Community Member

Hi Community,
I want to know about that why my JSS is not increase as much as it should be.
My JSS is only increase from 75% to 80% whereas it should be move to 95% or something as per Upwork T&C.
This is written on Upwork support 

(successful contract outcomes - negative contract outcomes) / total outcomes

so, before my successful outcomes was 30USD -  negative outcomes was 10USD / total outcomes 40USD = 75%
then after my new review of (192USD)
it should be

successful outcomes  222USD -  negative outcomes  10USD / total outcomes 232USD = 95%+
So, my new JSS should be more than 95%,
I confirmed from my client that he give full star review on both private and public feedback.
If i am wrong then please explain me how?
Thanks 🙂

Hi Omar,

Please remember that your JSS reflects your overall contract history with your clients and is based on your (or your agency's) relationships and feedback. We're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.

~ Arjay
Upwork
e6cbddce
Community Member

Hi, How are you?

My Job success was 100%.

But while working for the project from UPWORK ENTERPRISE CLIENT, JSS set 87%.

So I thought maybe JSS will change while working because the job is the speical one from UPWORK ENTERPRISE CLIENT.

However, after I complete it, JSS changed 89%.

Totally, I have completed all job, but JSS is 89%.

e6cbddce_0-1698800962918.png

Before I work for last project, from UPWORK ENTERPRISE CLIENT, JSS was 100%.

What is the matter?
Please help me.

They did same with me, I have zero negative review from client and they dropped my account JSS from 100% to 81% even removed my top rated badge 

3bd11f87
Community Member

I was top-rated on Upwork with 100% JSS last month. Upwork had a checkup on 30th October, and suddenly, they dropped my JSS from 100 - 81%. When I contacted the support team, they said some of your clients submitted negative private feedback on your profile. 

I reached out to all of my recent clients and none of them submitted any public or private negative feedback. I have screenshots of their chats. 

Why did you guys ruin my profile? I did not violate any of your TOS. WHY?

Hi Atif,

I'm sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. As the support team has mentioned, we cannot disclose how your JSS is calculated and which client left negative feedback as this defeats the purpose of "private feedback." Please refer to your support ticket if you have additional questions or concerns so our team can assist.

~ AJ
Upwork

I have messaged all my clients who closed the contracts with me recently, but none have submitted any public or private feedback. How did my JSS drop, then? Check the attached screenshot of communication with my recent client

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Atif,

We do not encourage you to ask the clients about their feedback. As mentioned, private feedback is private. They were designed to get an honest, unbiased review from clients without the fear of retaliation from freelancers. We cannot tell you who left negative feedback and the clients may choose to not reveal that they did.

~ AJ
Upwork
crart
Community Member

Annie Jane B wrote:

as this defeats the purpose of "private feedback."

Can someone capable explain the purpose of private feedback then? In a world where 99% of people are liers, what is the purpose of giving them tools to lie more? We all know that humanity became a joke where most hide their lame personality behind the computer screen, why do you encourage this in a business? If private feedback doesn't match public one - as it is the case too often, seeing how private feedback affects JSS - can you justify existence of private feedback? Logically, ethically and from business side, if you please.

2191b58b
Community Member

My success rate was 100%, but now I can see it is 90%, I don't understand why it reduced

OK SIR

Hi Ashebir,

I’m sorry to hear about the change in your score.
Your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.
You can find more information under the "Why did my JSS change?" section in this article.
~ Joanne
Upwork
ahmadrizwan13
Community Member

have a total of 4 jobs on my Upwork profile: 1 is completed, 2 have been ongoing for the past 2 years, and we are still working on them. I also recently had 1 new job. The last job I was working on, but after a few days, the client informed me that they no longer wished to complete the job as they didn't need it anymore. I agreed, and the client canceled the job, requesting a refund. I promptly refunded the full amount. However, something strange happened to me: my Top Rated badge was revoked, and my Job Success Score (JSS) dropped from 100% to 89%. I am eager to regain my 100% JSS score and my Top Rated badge. Please help me rectify this situation.

Hi Rizwan,

I'm sorry to hear about your score decreasing. I can see that you opened a support ticket regarding this issue and are now being assisted by one of our agents. Please feel free to update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
anne-secor
Community Member

Hello Ibanga,

I've been a freelancer on Upwork for over 7 years and I have learned that some of this could be beyond our control. We could be doing what we believe is the best possible job, giving the client the most excellent service, and for any reason (could just be having a bad day) they might post a low review. My score luckily has not gone below 92 and now TRPlus/98% but today a client gave me 4 stars, and I believe that my JSS will take a big hit from that, possibly a couple of points, and it will take a very long time to recover. Also private feedback can have a big effect on the JSS, and that is a wild card. I'm afraid that clients may not understand or care how devastating their reviews can be to our futures. The client from today was a new Upwork user and now I have installed a new policy which is never to work with a client who has no experience with Upwork. I also believe that the back end calculating process may be a bit too rough. Just my two cents.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members