🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Job Spamming Posts
Page options
brycejungquist
Community Member

Job Spamming Posts

I have been seeing so many jobs on Upwork from potential clients who make the same job posting every 6-7 hours. These are people who will change their budget a ton of times, trying to get new leads and everytime I refresh the feed I see the same posts. And it seems like it's been getting worse reccently. 

Here's a proposal Upwork.
I think you should really consider limiting how often clients can post jobs to only 3 times a week. 
Now, I know what your thinking.

What if they have multiple openings? So what if they want more leads? 
I think three times a week isn't going to be bad and if they really need someone, they can wait till next week. 
But let's face it. It's spam and this makes me want to use the same cover letter again and again which is also spam and I think against TOS and I don't do. 

There really needs to be some quality control here on our side because I can't imagine how many freelancers waste connects applying to something that is just constantly removed and added again and again. 

And these clients have like 20k spent so they look legit?

And before someone's like oh well you know if you don't like it you could ignore it.
Well, that's all good but if it's happening again and again. And it makes it a poor experience on a freelancer side too which I would say you should care about as we pay 10% of our contract fees on this platform. And optional of course but you could also be paying or freelancer plus and buying connects just to bid on jobs that are spammed. 

And I've also seen more spam job posts in general here with the same job postings just changed a little with non verfied clients so we waste money on connects and there isn't even a job. 

And we're not making anything for you seeing the same terrible job again and again. As a top rated plus freelancer who has made you a ton of money via Upwork fees, this is an awful experinece.

I'm starting to wonder if this platform is even worth it and I've made a lot of money here. But you can't quality control freelancers and raise prices and than give us terrible experinces too. 

Anyway, that's my rant. 

1 REPLY 1
debi-f
Community Member

Upwork has changed, there are fewer invitations and fewer jobs, a lot of new freelancers, more connects required to apply, a lot of SCAMMERS, and even when you flag them, Upwork is not helping.

It seems that Upwork is doing its business selling connects, that's why there are jobs that require 16 connects and they allow people to boost their bids with 50 connects or more (especially the new freelancers). And they keep the scam and spam jobs until people post their bids…using connects, of course.

Some suggestions to find real jobs and avoid scammers:

• Don't search jobs only directly at “Find Work”. Go to the “Search for job” space to apply “Filters”.
  • One of them is “Payment verified” (although today there are scammers with payment verified and Upwork is not checking it, it could help).
  • Other Filter is “Client history”. Check if he posted other jobs, if he hired other freelancers, feedbacks, etc.   
  • Check the Date since the client is a member. Usually the scammers are members from the same day they post their jobs, and they didn't hire anyone. 
  • DON'T BID for jobs that ask for +20, +40 languages translation, or they publish a list of 15 languages, or invitations too good to be true, even when they have their payment verified. They verify their payment from different countries every day. 
  • APPLY TO JOBS THAT FIT YOUR SKILLS. Don't apply to 100 jobs, wasting connects and money.
  • ALWAYS CHECK THE CLIENT'S PROFILE before sending a proposal, even when it fits my skills.  
  • DON'T APPLY and don't contact if they publish a link (telegram, mail, skype, etc.) outside Upwork.  
  • DON'T start working or deliver any work if the contract didn't start for Upwork, and until the client has his payment verified and/or the money funded (specially if it's your first work with this client). 
  • DON'T BOOST YOUR BIDS. If you do it, you are paying to Upwork for finding a job instead of earning money from your work. Serious clients will find the best options according to your skills and not according to the amount of bids you use.  
  • I suggest not paying for a membership. Just use the 10 connects they give you for free and buy 10 more ($1.5) ONLY when you find a good job for you. 
  • I suggest your Profile to be visible to Upwork members and not Public outside Upwork. This way you avoid people outside Upwork (for example, scammers) to find you and enter for posting a job or inviting you. 

Maybe if Upwork will not earn extra-money from us (from the connects), they will decide to control the platform and check the clients before they post jobs. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members