Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Job description changed

a_golubovic
Ace Contributor
Aleksandar G Member Since: Oct 25, 2019
1 of 14
Job description changed after my proposal. Client reformulated description and added some new terms which not match my skillset anymore. How is this possible?
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 14

Clients can edit job descriptions.

 

Don't worry about this.

 

If the client contacts you, it is still up to you what you will and will not do. Job postings and proposals are not contracts. They are the beginning of a conversation.

a_golubovic
Ace Contributor
Aleksandar G Member Since: Oct 25, 2019
3 of 14
Of course it's up to me - I don't have to accept the job. But problem here is that I spent Connects I paid for applying for a job I could finish, and suddenly I'm not competent for the job, which means that I just throw away my Connects. That's not ok at all, from my point of view.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 14

Aleksandar G wrote:
Of course it's up to me - I don't have to accept the job. But problem here is that I spent Connects I paid for applying for a job I could finish, and suddenly I'm not competent for the job, which means that I just throw away my Connects. That's not ok at all, from my point of view.

Were you actually contacted by the client?

 

a_golubovic
Ace Contributor
Aleksandar G Member Since: Oct 25, 2019
5 of 14
No. In the case that client not contact me at all, that's ok. But if he does, job description changed and I can not accept job, which means my Connects goes away, because Upwork won't refund it in that case.
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 14

Aleksandar G wrote:
No. In the case that client not contact me at all, that's ok.

So, in other words, as of now you're neither in the running for the job you could do, or the job you can't, so the connects are gone and you're not hired either way.

 

Would that be a fair summary?

 


Aleksandar G wrote:
 But if he does, job description changed and I can not accept job, which means my Connects goes away.

The connects have already gone away.

 

I don't ever look at job posts I have submitted a proposal to again, unless and until a client contacts me.

Send a proposal, forget about it.

a_golubovic
Ace Contributor
Aleksandar G Member Since: Oct 25, 2019
7 of 14
If job description were as it is now, I wouldn't apply at all and save my Connects which are not free anymore. It's not ok that client can change the job description in the way of asking for some additional job or additional skillset. It would be fair that client can cancel the job, Upwork refund connects to freelancers who sent proposal and client can set a new job with new description, so people with different skilleset could apply. So, Upwork allow clients to change description and doesn't allow freelancer to cancel the proposal and get Connects back. Why?
richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
8 of 14

Aleksandar G wrote:
If job description were as it is now, I wouldn't apply at all and save my Connects which are not free anymore. It's not ok that client can change the job description in the way of asking for some additional job or additional skillset. It would be fair that client can cancel the job, Upwork refund connects to freelancers who sent proposal and client can set a new job with new description, so people with different skilleset could apply. So, Upwork allow clients to change description and doesn't allow freelancer to cancel the proposal and get Connects back. Why?

It's best to think of connects as the price to submit a proposal, and don't expect to get them back. If you made a job application by post, you wouldn't expect to get the price of the stamp back if the employer doesn't hire. (And here in the UK a first class stamp costs more than 4 connects.)

a_golubovic
Ace Contributor
Aleksandar G Member Since: Oct 25, 2019
9 of 14
It's ok not to get connects back when client do not respond or for some smiliar reason. In this situation I'm applying for one job and spending my Connects and after 2hrs client change job description and I'm not relevant for that job, so my applying doesn't make sense and I'm practically throwing away Connects for nothing. Even in the case client respond, that's not the same iob I wanted to do and same job I spend my Connects for. Somewhere in the world $0.15 have much bigger value than in UK or US, but this is not about money value. I think it's kind of unfair from Upwork to freelancers. I paid for it, I risked it, and it's not my fault if someone change job description I initially applied and suddenly I am not relevant for that job, but my Connects not get refunded.
g_vasilevski
Moderator
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
10 of 14

Hi Aleksandar,

 

I understand your frustration with this and thank you for your feedback, I will share it with our team. 

~ Goran
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS