๐Ÿˆ
ยป Forums ยป Freelancers ยป Latest version of desktop app (5.6.9.3) for ...
Page options
ross_solar
Community Member

Latest version of desktop app (5.6.9.3) for Mac OS IS A DISASTER

Since last update about month ago it is simply unusable!

Issue reported/ticket opened 3+ weeks ago and NOTHING done to fix it, no followups from devs. OMG, if you can't troubleshoot it in 3 weeks time (did you even tried to do that actually?!), then just roll back to the previous version and publish it. 
List of issues:
- App consuming 100% CPU all the time
- It gets stuck on "Stop time tracking" dialog every time I switch between contracts, totally unresponsive for 10-15 minutes.
- It skips making screenshots, it doesn't update the activity counters... Only in last 3 hours it skipped 4 screenshots for me ( who is going to compensate me this time been lost?)
-----------
6-8 missed screenshots in a day that's about USD100 at my rate LOST DAILY. I tolerated that for 3 weeks since issue reported. And there is no light @ end of a tunnel... no one knows how long it is going to continue.

To be honest, I don't see much sense to keep tolerating this... If issue is not fixed by end of the week, I will start migrating off the Upwork

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alright. I managed to resolve it, after tracing the app.

There is a folder

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Upwork/Upwork

For some reason during the uninstall it remains there, makes reinstall useless.... so it has to be wiped out manually. After doing that on both laptops -> no issues with the app anymore.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ross_solar
Community Member

Oh, forgot to mention, cleaning cache, reinstalling etc didn't work

And tried installing on another macbook air with same OS X version - same issue.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vladislav,

I understand your frustration with this and I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Just to confirm, I will escalate your concern to our team as well. 
One of our team members will also update your ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further directly there. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks, Goran

I really hope to see some progress with this. Whole October it's been more "fighting the app" rather than working properly. Have to 'Force Quit' app every time i switch between contracts, tracking missed screenshots, etc. Have to carry extra power bank now, cause app drains battery like crazy, 4hrs on battery instead of 9hrs i used to have before ๐Ÿ˜• 

On 23rd day since issue reported and tons of msgs back n forth (mostly my messages, reminding that issue is CRITICAL and makes me loose 70-120 USD daily)... The brightest ever advice came from your "developers" or "engineers". They propose me to reinstall the app, and give me the link to windows ver of it.

OMFG, can they read - MacOS X is mentioned in the ticket subject and messages? Didn't they see the screenshots i've attached multiple times to the ticket? What were they "troubleshooting" for 23 days?! 
To be honest, i think they didn't try to do anything. NOT A SINGLE THING. They have been screwing me all the time.  I don't really want to keep working with company with such an attitude (i've been doing it for almost 14 years)

I'm sorry for the trouble, Vladislav.

I'll follow up with the team about this so that they can look into this further. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Alright. I managed to resolve it, after tracing the app.

There is a folder

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Upwork/Upwork

For some reason during the uninstall it remains there, makes reinstall useless.... so it has to be wiped out manually. After doing that on both laptops -> no issues with the app anymore.

Thank you so much! I am also completely tired of 100%CPU usage and your fix worked for me. And yes,  it is completely unacceptable of how "support" communicates with you.

Welcome, mate!

I am quite happy I didn't give up and decided to do some tracing myself. To be honest, I've not done much of debugging with strace/dtruss since early 2000s, so it took me about 1 hour to figure the issue (compare vs 23 days devs spent with no result ๐Ÿ˜„

I think it makes sense to add this solution to some sort of FAQ section re: MacOS desktop app. I can bet we ain't first or last ones who have been affected by that issue.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you, Vladislav. 

I'm sorry to know that you didn't see the troubleshooting steps in this article on how to completely delete the Upwork Desktop App's cache on your computer.

Just the same, I'm glad the issue has been resolved. I've shared this post with the team to see how to improve this experience, or at least surface the troubleshooting steps somewhere in the experience when deleting the Desktop App. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members