🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Loom link in Job Application. Safe or no?
Page options
kaplar
Community Member

Loom link in Job Application. Safe or no?

Hello, 

I recently started exploring the Loom that Upwork integrated. Seems like a usefull tool. Instead of "record with loom" from upwork, I installed chrome extension that is doing the same job,  plis notifies you when somebody watches your video. 

So far I have used it to apply to jobs, where I capture screen, read the job posting out loud and talk about possible solutions. Then I copy video link into the job application. Link from chrome extension is the same as link from integrated UW version. 
Here is feedback from clients who watched my video application: 
"Hi Marko, loved your attention to detail and your personalised video looking into my job requirements. Really appreciate it."

and one more "Hi Marko, Lets do it! Really like your video of this Loom personalised video : )"

I landed both jobs. That was on day one.

Day two, I got green notification that I should always keep communication within Upwork. So I got a little concerned that maybe with links from loom, I am perhaps breaking some TOS? Altough I only discuss the job posting with possible client and never offer any way of outside contact. After that I got maybe 3-5 video views (job application viewed at all) from ~40 jobs applied. 

My question is: 
Are my application hidden in some way from clients because I included a link to loom video?
Am I breaking any TOS in this way, altough the loom is integrated with Upwork?

Is it safe to continue using Loom for job applications, since clients seem to like the personalized touch it brings?

Thanks. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
NikolaS

Hi Marko,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that you are allowed to share the Loom video in your proposal as long as you do not share any contact information or commit any violation on the video. You may want to check Upwork's Terms of Service for more information. 

~ Nikola
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pgiambalvo
Community Member

You have to use Upwork to communicate before a contract is in place. After a contract is in place, you can go off platform to communicate, but I prefer to use Upwork if possible even after that so that everything is documented here.

Loom is integrated within Upwork. 

NikolaS

Hi Marko,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I would like to clarify that you are allowed to share the Loom video in your proposal as long as you do not share any contact information or commit any violation on the video. You may want to check Upwork's Terms of Service for more information. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
kaplar
Community Member

Great news! Thanks for clarifying! No, I dont have any contact info or anything similar, I simply discuss the job and possible solutions to it. 

Thanks again Nikola! 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members