🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Low Response Rate Despite Top Rated Badge...
Page options
94083b8f
Community Member

Low Response Rate Despite Top Rated Badge and 100% JSS

I am writing to express my concern regarding the low response rate I have been experiencing on the platform recently, despite having a Top Rated badge and maintaining a 100% Job Success Score (JSS). I would greatly appreciate your assistance in understanding and resolving this issue.

Firstly, I would like to emphasize that I have been an active and dedicated freelancer on Upwork for quite some time now. I have successfully completed numerous projects, received positive feedback from clients, and recently achieved the prestigious Top Rated badge. Additionally, I take great care to tailor my proposals to each job's specifications, ensuring that they are customized and relevant to the clients' needs.

Despite my efforts and impressive credentials, I've noticed a low response rates to my proposals. It's disheartening, as my skills align with job requirements. I've invested in more connects, but it hasn't helped.

Given the circumstances, I would greatly appreciate any insights, suggestions, or guidance you could provide to help me overcome this hurdle. Are there any specific recommendations you can offer to improve my response rate? Is there any additional information or optimization that I should focus on within my proposals?

17 REPLIES 17
kelly_e
Community Member
94083b8f
Community Member

Thank you but this isn't a solution I am looking for. In the last 4 days, I have submitted more than 50 proposals and each of them is highly customized based on the project requirements but no luck yet.

yofazza
Community Member

It's explanation. Solution isn't available right now 😁

94083b8f
Community Member

I am getting frustrated by the low response rate I am experiencing. I have invested over $100 in purchasing connects and have put effort into customizing my proposals, but I am unsure what is wrong with Upwork algorithm. I have not even received any invitations at all.

kelly_e
Community Member

My point was to tell you that there are no actions YOU can take here on UW (which was what you asked), because it isn't YOU. I spun my wheels for quite a while thinking it was me, when I've always had an upward trajectory here and suddenly everything fell off a cliff... what am I doing? what can I do? Lot of time and self-flagellation wasted. Empathy, and hoping to save you that pain, are all I've got... all any of us have got, since Upwork has nothing to say.

Since March I've put out 378 proposals. A gob-smacking number. Each of them, picked because the client would rock if I got the job, and each proposal, highly personalized, as my proposals always are. Better than ever, really... see wheel-spinning-flagellation above. (No new jobs = plenty of time to do this.) BUT NO ONE IS VIEWING THEM. If no one views them, no one knows they're wonderful and that I am the very best person for the job.

My response rate had been getting lower and lower since November, so I decided to start a database in March to see what's really going on numerically.

In December, I got two new jobs. (And I was putting out FAR fewer proposals in 2022). In February, one. Since March, I've had only four responses, and NO new jobs.

The last two weeks have been the worst ever—this week, in fact, I have a ZERO PERCENT, yes, 0%, view rate. NOT ONE PROPOSAL EVEN LOOKED AT. If no one looks...

I had already realized quite a while ago that Upwork had become nearly pointless, and now—THANK YOU HAYDEN BROWN AND UPWORK—Upwork has actually become literally pointless. Eighteen years' experience to offer and not a single VIEW of a carefully-crafted proposal, never mind a response or a job.

Of course you're frustrated. We all are, which was why I was trying to give you the only help there is—information that you're not alone.

What we each do with that information, is our own choice.

All of us who are in the same boat, used Upwork to pay at least some of our bills. For all those in the links I attached above, Upwork is not a hobby. It's a job. And the pain of not being able to pay the bills that Upwork used to cover is acute—whether all or some of our eggs were in this basket, the basket was important; for many of us TRs, it has been important for years.

Frustration is one word for it. Pain is another. And if you look at all those links, and the ones that have been coming in daily since about January, you'll find that Upwork is NOT ANSWERING. (Heck, they're probably not even reading.) Not a word on what has changed in the algo or ???—or on how their loyal, valuable, long-time users, Top-Rated and all, can crawl out of the hole that Upwork dug for us. They just letting every new question-writer keep thinking it's YOU.

Sorry if you didn't find my response helpful, Khozem—but knowing you're not alone is currently all the help there is.

Well said.

For me, its now a question of where I'm going next and when. I still have a bunch of connects from when Upwork used to give them out, and I thought I'd wait until they reached zero. But that really means not getting paid for a long time, I don't think I can afford to wait that long.

Upwork has been good but I don't owe them anything, I did the work, they made their comission. Clearly, no more work is appearing so I have no reason to stay.

I agree. Many experienced professionals who used to make this place different from... others... have had to jump ship. Ironically I'm noticing some of those other places swimming upstream because of this shift.

Until March, I still thought maybe the issues here were temporary and/or fixable, but Upwork has funding and I don't, so their timescale is probably different than mine.

And of course their goal is TO make money (for shareholders), not to make sure WE make money (for eating)—so they're apparently aiming someplace different than making sure we make a reliable living.

Chewing up hordes of brand-new freelancers' connects makes them $$$, at least in the here-and-now... not a long-term, category-defining, world-domination strategy...

... but what do I know. I'm just a marketing and branding expert for nearly 20 years.   😉

94083b8f
Community Member

Hello Kelly,

Thank you for explaining your situation, and I fully understand that we have all experienced similar challenges and continue to do so.

The number 378 represents more than just a numerical value. Your statement about each proposal being highly personalized highlights the tremendous effort you put into your proposal crafting.

In my experience, having a Rising Talent badge was expected to result in more responses and conversions compared to being Top Rated with a 100% JSS. haha

I have encountered difficulties with Upwork Premium Support as well. Unfortunately, there is currently no option to directly chat with customer support, and relying solely on the forum for finding solutions is not ideal. It would be beneficial to have a different algorithm or system in place specifically for Top Rated freelancers.

Despite the challenges, I will not give up because Upwork is my sole source of livelihood. I will continue to strive to submit highly personalized proposals to job posts that are relevant to my skills.

Khozem -

First of all, many people feel the US is in a recession along with the rest of the world. I sometimes wonder how Upwork gets any clients at all. But Upwork is also flooded with freelancers, many of whom are willing to work for very little money, and some clients are looking for that. Other clients are just looking around and maybe will never hire on Upwork. Upwork has always been very competitive and now it is  probably more so for just about any category. After working on Upwork for five years, I have always found I have to make a lot of proposals in order to get a good job, but I do not boost connects. I believe one has to be persistent and not give up. It is worrisome, however, that Upwork's share price has fallen so low because that is certainly a reflection of how they are running the business.

Such a disappointment. So I wonder if anyone really makes a living Upworking from home. I was so encouraged and excited in the beginning. Are there any other websites like upwork that are legit?

Some do make a f-t living with UW. From what I read here on the forums, nobody has been untouched by the recent changes, though.

Personally, until Nov/Dec 2022, I was on a very positive trajectory and I thought I'd be one of them in a couple of quarters. I came to UW precisely *to* have them be the middleman so I could continue working for myself, as I have for years, with less chasing of payments and vetting of clients etc. You'd think I'd be their ideal freelancer, happy to turn over 10% to a middleman.

If I knew an easy answer to "where else is better"... it's probably not what UW wants us using the forums for, but I'd give it a mention. Unfortunately I don't have that easy answer—but I have my ear to the ground all the time now, in case someone else does.

crart
Community Member

UW fails as middleman for long months now. In reality, if middleman is not doing their job, they're fired yet here we are, treated like UW's employees but without benefits. It's a downhill, the platform lost credibility long ago. Word of mouth has power yet UW still believe only money counts.

803e14a8
Community Member

Hello I am new here and don't know where what and how to start .I actually just had 3 proposals today and I don't know if it will work.I joined the group to get insights,help and suggestions from you guys.Hoping for your response.Thanks a lot!

Marsha Mae, you need to start at the beginning. Please read this post, and follow every link. Pay special attention to the Terms of Service and the Red Flags from Wes. There are numerous scammers in the platform, and you have to protect yourself. The biggest mistake freelancers make is going outside Upwork before a contract is in place.

Learn how to establish a profile, portfolio, and write proposals. Aside from the rules, look at all the advice, and decide what works best for you, your skills, and your business. Freelancing means self-employment, so don't expect Upwork to do anything like taxes or vetting clients. You have to protect yourself, because no one, including work, will do it for you.

It will probably take you some time to start getting jobs. Most have to put in dozens of proposals before finding a legitimate client.

Learn the rules, read the advice, and then if you have questions, come back to the forum. If any job sets off your intuition, stop immediately and look everything over and consider asking questions.

modernwriter2000
Community Member

I've noticed a steady decline and decided to look at my proposals for the past four months. My proposals have been viewed less than a quarter of the time—20%, to be exact. Considering that I have a Top Rated Plus badge and a 100% Success Rate (which should make me stand out), that seems very low. 

lysis10
Community Member

Top Rated 100% jss and not getting jobs. Name a more iconic duo.

abuoviee
Community Member

I understand your frustration. To improve your response rate, consider optimizing your proposals by highlighting your unique skills, relevant experience, and how you can add value to the client's project.

Additionally, ensure that your proposals are well-written, concise, and tailored to each job. You can also try reaching out to potential clients directly through Upwork messages or refining your job search filters to target more specific and relevant opportunities.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members