🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Maternity leave for 135 days
Page options
fanika
Community Member

Maternity leave for 135 days

Hello,

Next month I will have to take the mandatory minimum of 135 days maternity leave, during which period I am not legally allowed to work. Therefore I need to hold and come back here after it.

I was pretty surprised that Upwork doesn't respect this special condition and I was adviced to ask for temporary closure of my profile as a safest option. But my JSS will continue to recalcuate as usual during this time as per algorythm. So now I wonder how much will it fall from 96% for these 4 months?

What are the best and worst perspectives?

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Stefanka L wrote:

Next month I will have to take the mandatory minimum of 135 days maternity leave, during which period I am not legally allowed to work.

You are not "allowed" to work as a self-employed person?

Stefanka L wrote:

I was pretty surprised that Upwork doesn't respect this special condition and I was adviced to ask for temporary closure of my profile as a safest option

No need, just make sure all your contracts are ended, your profile is set to private and you set an auto-responder in case former clients contact you.

Depending on whether more "poor"  or more "good" outcomes fall out of your calculation window, your JSS could even go up.

And congratulations 🙂

fanika
Community Member

"You are not "allowed" to work as a self-employed person?"

Yes, exactly, I am a self-employed person and during the maternity leave I have no right to recive any other payments exept the social motherhood and the worst is that this period can not be less than 135 days. Otherwise I get fined and lose any money that I received from the social securities. And because my name is written on the invoices, it is obviously a violance of the law, unfortunately. So I have no choice in this situation.

"No need, just make sure all your contracts are ended, your profile is set to private and you set an auto-responder in case former clients contact you."

I am afraid that this is too much time for "private" state of profile. I just read that upwork can suspend me for being private for too long

petra_r
Community Member

Stefanka L wrote:

I just read that upwork can suspend me for being private for too long

Nooooooooo! Absolutely not. Please don't worry and just concentrate on baby 👶

fanika
Community Member

Thanks for the good thoughts, Petra!

I still don't get the difference between temporary closed account and being private. Can I read more details somewhere?

Thank you again!

petra_r
Community Member

Stefanka L wrote:

Thanks for the good thoughts, Petra!

I still don't get the difference between temporary closed account and being private. Can I read more details somewhere?

If you set your availability to not available and your profile to private, you can simply set it back to active when you get back. "Closing" your account is a LOT more serious and you'd have to get support to bring your account back to life.

You might lose your top rated status, but as soon as you become active again, that will come back.

Petra R wrote:

Stefanka L wrote:

Next month I will have to take the mandatory minimum of 135 days maternity leave, during which period I am not legally allowed to work.

In countries where the social security covers the maternity leave and substitutes itself to the loss of income due to the leave, you are only entitled to claim payment if there is an actual loss of income.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Stefanka L wrote:

In countries where the social security covers the maternity leave and substitutes itself to the loss of income due to the leave, you are only entitled to claim payment if there is an actual loss of income.

When I started of I received unemployment benefits for a few months. During this time I was allowed to work and earn money but I was not allowed to use any of it. This might be a workaround.

Jennifer R wrote:

Rene K wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Stefanka L wrote:

When I started of I received unemployment benefits for a few months. During this time I was allowed to work and earn money but I was not allowed to use any of it. This might be a workaround.

there's no workaround for this one--one of my law firm clients has an employee in Israel who is in the same situation, and the law is very strict (intended to protect the worker, I suspect, but it's an all or nothing thing...you're either working or you're on paid maternity leave--no blending)

jr-translation
Community Member

Stefanka L wrote:

Hello,

Next month I will have to take the mandatory minimum of 135 days maternity leave, during which period I am not legally allowed to work. Therefore I need to hold and come back here after it.

I was pretty surprised that Upwork doesn't respect this special condition and I was adviced to ask for temporary closure of my profile as a safest option. But my JSS will continue to recalcuate as usual during this time as per algorythm. So now I wonder how much will it fall from 96% for these 4 months?

What are the best and worst perspectives?

Since the JSS is calculated over 6, 12, and 24 months, so there is nothing to worry about. If you want to keep your top rated status you have to apply for jobs during your maternity leave:
Activity on the platform (proposal, accepted invitation, or earnings) in the past 90 days

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members