🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My Experience with Upwork recruiter on Linked...
Page options
b9a5f49e
Community Member

My Experience with Upwork recruiter on LinkedIn

I've been contacted by Upwork Talent recruiters on LinkedIn multiple times.

Initially, I passed the Pre-Qualifying Question.

Following that, I had a successful interview with an Upwork Recruiter.

Subsequently, I had a successful interview with the Client Team lead.

Despite progressing through these steps, I've consistently faced job denials, often with no explanation.

There were instances where I was asked to wait for the onboarding process, only to be ultimately denied the job.

This recurring issue has prompted me to voice my concerns within the Upwork community in an effort to combat and prevent such fraudulent practices

4 REPLIES 4
n_pudikova
Community Member

Hi there!

I do not work for Upwork, but I am a global recruiter with almost 20 years of experience, Top Rated in Europe. I can provide some insight into your question.

Recruiters at Upwork, like most others (perhaps except ES), work on behalf of clients. They conduct initial pre-screening and screening processes and then recommend candidates to the client.

However, the final hiring decision rests with the client. If you were not offered the job after your interview with the client, it likely means that something didn't go as well as it could have during that stage, not necessarily with Upwork.

It's important to remember that competition is fierce, and even if an Upwork recruiter has recommended you, there could be another ten candidates who may have made a stronger impression on the client at that stage.

So, don't be discouraged, and don't give up. Polish your interview skills, and you will eventually succeed.

Wishing you all the best, Natasha

Dear Natasha,

I wanted to express my gratitude for your feedback. The situation I'd like to discuss doesn't pertain to the client. I received positive feedback from the client, and even the Upwork recruiter congratulated me, indicating that I should expect the onboarding process.

I had direct communication with the client, who confirmed the approval of my interview for the job position. However, to my surprise, someone else was ultimately selected for the role.

I believe this is a significant concern that Upwork should thoroughly investigate. I suspect there might be undisclosed factors at play behind the scenes.

Williams

There are no guarantees in freelancing. Just because you have an interview, and even if the client says, "Yes, you are wonderful, I should hire you." that doesn't mean you will get the job. Freelancers typically will apply for many more jobs than they will ever secure.

I do not see any reason to believe Upwork is engaging in some scheme to deny you a job. The client hired someone else. It happens, and it will happen again.

Exactly why do you think you were not hired? What "undisclosed factors" do you think were at play. And if they are unknown, why do you know about this, and none of millions of freelancers do?

If you want good clients and not scammers, you need to use the Academy and improve your profile. The client's only see the top line and you are wasting it. No greetings - they know your name. Learn about vetting clients and jobs. Recognize that freelancing takes marketable skills, money to run the business and buy things like job access, time, patience, and again, marketable skills.

And be prepared to not be hired for a lot of jobs. That's freelancing on Upwork.

Dear Williams,

Thank you for getting back to me. But trust me, your perception is not exactly correct, just as Jeanne mentioned - there are no guarantees, and people fail to get an offer after five rounds of successful interviews. Don't look for biases, in this case, if someone is selected - good for them, your opportunity is still ahead. And no, no Upwork or any other recruiter will investigate this further, trust me because there is nothing suspicious in your case, let's say 99% of candidates fail and only 1% receive an offer, this is normal. 

Just do a good job and another great Client will come your way soon.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members