🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My client asking my email address
Page options
s_shishido
Community Member

My client asking my email address

My client ask me to give them my email address because they will use it for signing the agreement(copyright things) in the next contract. This can't be done on Upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
samrat3
Community Member

Hi Shun, 

According to Upwork's ToS- You are not allowed to share any contact information before an official contract starts on Upwork. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.  Please refer to the links below :

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Contact-Information-Sharing
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
samrat3
Community Member

Hi Shun, 

According to Upwork's ToS- You are not allowed to share any contact information before an official contract starts on Upwork. However, there are some exceptions to this rule.  Please refer to the links below :

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051749534-Contact-Information-Sharing
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049608113-Sharing-Information-on-Upwork

s_shishido
Community Member

Thank you! It says "Online e-signature programs" is an exception. So, it's allowed I think.

The client can attach the NDA to the message board; my clients do it all the time. There's no need to give them your email address.

Thank you for the advice. I'll tell them about that.

I never give out my email address to clients.  I usually handle it like this:

"I'm sorry, but could you please send the document/file/image/etc to me via Upwork messenger?  I prefer to keep my freelance and personal items seperate.  It is also helpful to us both if we can keep all items associated with the contract here on Upwork.  This gives us an archive that we can both refer to in the event there is a misunderstanding.  I appreciate your understanding with this".

Thank you. It might be better to tell them as you say. Then I'll see what happens.

You can communicate with a client however you wish AFTER the contract has started.  I only offer my suggestion because it helps minimize potential disputes about the work performed.

For example, let's say you start a contract and meet with the client over Zoom (app is also on Upwork).  You both agree to several changes to the contract scope of work.  You submit the final deliverable and find that the client is requesting a refund for work that they claim was never authorized when it was (via Zoom).

How would you prove what was said?  What if that agreement was done over your personal email?  It would be easier to prove with screenshots, but why not make it easy on yourself and just use the Upwork messenger?  

Everything you need for that contract (dialog, NDA, changes, requests, etc) is archived, linked directly to the client, and retained in the event of a dispute months after the contract has been forgotten.  No searching your personal emails, no trying to remember how many accounts you have, all of it located in a single central location.  

Clients may periodically require you to access external links and that's fine, but I highly recommend just keeping your communications in one central place as much as possible.  Any changes or discussions not on Upwork should be immediately restated on Upwork to establish mutual agreement of those terms and create a written record of them.

You're right. It's safest to do so. Thank you for all your kindness.

a77045c6
Community Member

One of my clients asked for my email address as well because they wanted to update new projects (long list/table/yellow highlight) for all freelancers from many countries at the same time. They announced hiring 20 freelancers, but the actual hires were 34 including me. And this client is very professional and trustable. I don't know about you or others, but I accepted the case-by-case. 

I share this information from the screenshot. 

hired.png

You were lucky! I don't know whether I can trust them or not for now. Thank you for sharing your experience.

My big concern is the payment method. If it is made on Upwork, so......

There's nothing wrong with sharing your email address AFTER a client has properly hired you via Upwork.

Thank you. I've already told them that I prefer to sign the agreement via Upwork. I'll wait their response.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Shun S.

A "client" on Upwork is someone you currently have or have previously had a contract in place with. You can communicate with a client in any way you and they prefer. There are no restrictions.

If this person you are asking about is not yet your client, Upwork's TOS specifically allows you to provide your email address if it is needed for a non-disclosure agreement (NDA).

Thank you for the information. I didn't have enough knowledge of that. I'll look into that more by myself.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members