🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » My first difficult client
Page options
astralnaut50
Community Member

My first difficult client

I'm a Voice Actor.  I have Top Rated status and a 100% JSS.  Landed a contract with a client for a short Voiceover project.  Sent two takes.  He came back with some critique and direction.  I sent two more takes.  He came back with some more critique that had some pretty snarky undertones.  I simply replied that I'd already sent him four different takes and his critique is beginning to "cross the line".  Stated there are other VO's to choose from out there and best of luck to him.  Can I end the contract without consequence to my profile?  He hasn't approved the request for payment, nor responded as of yet.

Christopher Nelson
Vocal Projections LLC
(281)789-2629
mriguyvoiceover.com
cnelson@vocalprojections.com
http://mriguyvoiceover.com

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

If this is a fixed-price job, you could wait and see if you get paid after 14 days, if the client doesn't ask for further takes or disputes  payment.

If you cancel the contract before you have been paid, then the funds automatically get returned to the client, and a job without payment will have an effect, and he could also leave private feedback that could ding your JSS further.  It's a bit of a rock and hard place situation, because if he doesn't respond and Upwork automatically releases the funds to you, he could still dispute and leave both private and public feedback. 

Perhaps just wait and see which way this falls.  If things really go pear-shaped, then you can always use your top-rated perk to have really bad feedback completely removed (private and public). You could also try meeting the client half way and suggest you go 50/50 on the payment, and that he close the contract, which would be better.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
colettelewis
Community Member

If this is a fixed-price job, you could wait and see if you get paid after 14 days, if the client doesn't ask for further takes or disputes  payment.

If you cancel the contract before you have been paid, then the funds automatically get returned to the client, and a job without payment will have an effect, and he could also leave private feedback that could ding your JSS further.  It's a bit of a rock and hard place situation, because if he doesn't respond and Upwork automatically releases the funds to you, he could still dispute and leave both private and public feedback. 

Perhaps just wait and see which way this falls.  If things really go pear-shaped, then you can always use your top-rated perk to have really bad feedback completely removed (private and public). You could also try meeting the client half way and suggest you go 50/50 on the payment, and that he close the contract, which would be better.  

Thank ya' kindly Nichola L!

Christopher Nelson
Vocal Projections LLC
(281)789-2629
mriguyvoiceover.com

cebe4768
Community Member

Hey Christopher, I have dealt with this situation before and I realized my mistake was that I did not vet my client before accepting the offer. 

You are in a tough situation now and you need to navigate this to not get affected negatively. 

Firstly, reach out to your client via video call - stay away from text as many clients hide behind that wall - and let the client clearly explain what they are looking for from you. Try and reach a consensus, but if the client has propostorous requirements, simply tell him that you are not interested in assisting him and end the contract. Do not worry about payment as that battle could be a long and damaging one. 

Rather, when you close out the contract, tell upwork what you experienced by giving a rating of 1 star and consider the case closed. 

I went as far as blocking the client I worked with because he was harrassing me. 

What counted in my favour is we did reach consensus and as soon as I got paid, I closed that contract. 

After that, I make sure before I accept any offer, I make sure the client is worth their salt. 

Good luck and sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Thanks very much Keenan L - your response definitely helped!

Christopher Nelson
Vocal Projections LLC
(281)789-2629
mriguyvoiceover.com

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members