🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: NFT assets
Page options
dotticolvin
Community Member

NFT assets

I see so many adverts for NFT assets at the moment on here. Freelancers please, respect yourselves. Don't make these assets for such pathetic sums of money like $20! These clients make a fortune off these things. Get paid what you deserve, live well, live better, or you are damaging the whole industry.

29 REPLIES 29
m_terrazas
Community Member

Dotti C wrote:

I see so many adverts for NFT assets at the moment on here. Freelancers please, respect yourselves. Don't make these assets for such pathetic sums of money like $20! These clients make a fortune off these things. Get paid what you deserve, live well, live better, or you are damaging the whole industry.

I am seeing a lot of NFT work on my feed.
And you're right, the payments are ridiculous for what they ask.
I must admit that I don't have much idea what this NFT topic is about, but I don't even open them anymore.
Every time I see the job specs and what they want you to do for pennies, I get sick.

roberty1y
Community Member

What's NFT?

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert, 

I've been reading about this a lot because of my family's interest in crypto in general. I pulled up some articles I found in Google that may be of interest to you. Robot Happy

~ Avery
Upwork
roberty1y
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Robert, 

I've been reading about this a lot because of my family's interest in crypto in general. I pulled up some articles I found in Google that may be of interest to you. Robot Happy

Hi Avery, thank you for your reply, I'll check out these links. 

Hi Avery,

I have a question

can I provide Crypto NFTs, influencers list?

I want to create a project with Crypto NFT influencers list

Hi Md, 

Could you please share more details? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you wish to create a project where you will provide a list of NFT influencers? Or do you intend to share this with a client who will hire you for a project related to NFTs? 

~ Avery
Upwork

An NFT is a Non-Fungible Token, which is bought and sold with
cryptocurrency. It's becoming pretty hot stuff in the art world right
now as it's giving people a way to make digital art truly unique, by
encrypting in the same way bitcoin or Eutheryum coins work. ( Superbad
for the environment by the way) In this way, a digital asset can have
one true owner and be bought and sold online just like anything else.
They have even made it as far as Sotheby's auction house. It's been
around for years, since 2017 in fact, but these things take time to leak
out of silicon valley and come to our ears 😄 One of the original
success stories was Cryptokittems, which buys and sells cute pictures of
cartoon kittens, just like trading cards. No big deal huh? One of them
just sold for 69 million dollars. Yep, that's right, you heard! It's
insane. So charge more than $20 dollars to make a set, otherwise, Upwork
will have a new reputation of the place where fools dwell.

Here's a site, Opensea, where you can sell these things. Anyone can sell
them, so if you are capable of creating a set of cute characters I
suggest you sell them yourselves. This little critter, if you do the
conversion is not cheap, around $878, and rising. And they have hundreds
of them, as these are generated using an algorithm that mixes the assets
to make tons of unique characters.

https://opensea.io/assets/0x52607cb9c342821ea41ad265b9bb6a23bea49468/7580

I hope that helped! Be smart, people.
Live well.

Robert Y wrote:

What's NFT?

This is the best explanation I've seen of them: https://twitter.com/aire_draws/status/1387496164124073988

Wes C wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

What's NFT?

This is the best explanation I've seen of them: https://twitter.com/aire_draws/status/1387496164124073988

Thanks Wes!

Well, I still don't understand anything at all Smiley LOL

It's essentially Bitcoin for digital artwork.

Hi Maria,

An NFT is a Non-Fungible Token, which is bought and sold with
cryptocurrency. It's becoming pretty hot stuff in the art world right
now as it's giving people a way to make digital art truly unique, by
encrypting in the same way bitcoin or Eutheryum coins work. ( Superbad
for the environment by the way) In this way, a digital asset can have
one true owner and be bought and sold online just like anything else.
They have even made it as far as Sotheby's auction house. It's been
around for years, since 2017 in fact, but these things take time to leak
out of silicon valley and come to our ears Smiley Very Happy One of the original
success stories was Cryptokittems, which buys and sells cute pictures of
cartoon kittens, just like trading cards. No big deal huh? One of them
just sold for 69 million dollars. Yep, that's right, you heard! It's
insane. So charge more than $20 dollars to make a set, otherwise, Upwork
will have a new reputation of the place where fools dwell.

Here's a site, Opensea, where you can sell these things. Anyone can sell
them, so if you are capable of creating a set of cute characters I
suggest you sell them yourselves. This little critter, if you do the
conversion is not cheap, around $878, and rising. And they have hundreds
of them, as these are generated using an algorithm that mixes the assets
to make tons of unique characters.

https://opensea.io/assets/0x52607cb9c342821ea41ad265b9bb6a23bea49468/7580

I hope that helped! Be smart, people.
Live well.

Wes C wrote:

Robert Y wrote:

What's NFT?

The worst part is that the NFT doesn't even include the image, just a link which can stop working or be replaced by something else.

Clients who purchase NFTs on Upwork for $20 probably aren't getting original work, so they're more likely to get sued than get rich. Anyone who's thinking of paying an artist to create an NFT for them should read this article first: https://fortune.com/2021/08/04/nfts-copyright-violations-penalties-non-fungible-tokens-collectibles-...

Nice article. Absolutely. Most of the cheap artwork on here breaches copyright law.  Upwork should add that to the Client introduction pack... if that is even a thing. 😄 

I think I'll send it instead of a job application next time I see a cheap NFT proposal .Haha 😄 

Actually, that's quite a good idea. Maybe we can all do that?

re: "Nice article. Absolutely. Most of the cheap artwork on here breaches copyright law. Upwork should add that to the Client introduction pack... if that is even a thing."

Why would Upwork add comments about NFT to its client introduction information, when most clients do not hire freelancers to do NFT work?

Preston H wrote:

re: "Nice article. Absolutely. Most of the cheap artwork on here breaches copyright law. Upwork should add that to the Client introduction pack... if that is even a thing."

Why would Upwork add comments about NFT to its client introduction information, when most clients do not hire freelancers to do NFT work?

They don't have to warn clients about NFTs specifically, but they shouldn't tell clients that they will own work after it's been paid for either, since that's not necessarily the case. 

Do they add anything about copyright law in the introduction pack? 

Dotti C wrote:

Do they add anything about copyright law in the introduction pack? 

There is no such thing, and even if there was, nobody would read it.

What's NFT?

Stupid ugly art for neckbeards to claim on blockchain that you can't steal at all not at all because it's blockchain, but you can just right-click and copy. My profile (not Upwork..somewhere else) is using the reddit $25k NFT as my background just to get the angry neckbeard messages.

NFT's in full means non fungiable tokens, it's a cryptocurrencies terminology. 

3e467189
Community Member

I now offer such clients to work for a fixed payment and a percentage of sales. So far no one has agreed)

re: “Upwork should add that to the Client introduction pack.”

You don’t need to wait.

You may write your own NFT-centric Client Introduction Pack and post it in your portfolio.

You may also send it to clients during the interview phase.

Preston H wrote:

re: “Upwork should add that to the Client introduction pack.”

You don’t need to wait.

You may write your own NFT-centric Client Introduction Pack and post it in your portfolio.

You misunderstand... Please look at what was said again: "Most of the cheap artwork on here breaches copyright law. Upwork should add that to the Client introduction pack."

You do understand that a) she has no intention of writing a Client Introduction Pack and b) didn't mean that NFT stuff should be added to the Client Introduction Pack? You keep looking at posts, turning what was clearly meant on its head and then responding to something that was never said and is simply fabricated.

Yes, Petra. Thank you! Preston always seems to misunderstand the main point of the posts, and it's more than annoying. 😄

990064aa
Community Member

So I'm a new artist here on Upwork.   I just finished mt first job for someone who said they were using my designs for their company's merchandise, but after the job was finished, they informed me they were also going to use it for NFTs.  This was not outlined in the job and I would not have done the work if I had known about the NFT use...is there even anything I can do about this? 

re: "is there even anything I can do about this?"

No.

There is nothing you can do about how someone uses the designs that belong to them.

If you wish to create an alternative contract and ask future clients to agree to that contract, you may do so, and in that contract you may stipulate restrictions. But you didn't do that this time. Therefore Upwork's default contract language governs this contract.

I kind of figured that was the case. *sigh* Looks like I'll be working on a contract for future jobs.  Lesson learned.   Thank you.

upwork_design
Community Member

Hi Avery,

I have a question

can I provide NFTs, Crypto influencers list?

fd83abd6
Community Member

👍

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members