🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: New Feature - Proposals Submitted in Engl...
Page options
wlyonsatl
Community Member

New Feature - Proposals Submitted in English Auto-Changed to Spanish????

I just sent a message to a prospective client via his project's Upwork message board, written in English.

For some reason, when it was time to send the message Upwork translated both the message and the project page into Spanish.

I speak Spanish well enough to know that "Enviar" means "Send," so I clicked that button. Unfortunately, I doubt the prospective client in the United Arab Emirates speaks Spanish, so I'll be interested to hear whether the message he received was in English or Spanish.

When I closed and re-opened the page, all of the text on the page and in the message appeared in English. 

Of all the features I'd like Upwork to add, this is not one of them.

5 REPLIES 5
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Will,

I'm not aware of any Upwork feature or capability to auto-translate messages send through the platform. This sounds like something that's added by your browser settings, plug-ins or software on your computer. I could replicate a case before where a message would be translated. It happens when the language of the browser (Chrome in my case) is not English and the browser is also set to offer to translate a page. The message is then translated to the language of the browser.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi, Valeria.

Thank you for the prompt reply. I didn't really think it was a new feature, but I was hoping someone could tell me if they had ever had the same thing happen. I have sent proposals on thousands of projects over the years, but this was a first.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Once in an enormously great while, my browser (Chrome) decides to translate things. It always happens for no reason. Or possibly because I unwittingly trip a setting without realizing it.

That must have been the case for me, too, Phyllis.

I don't think I did anything new, and I didn't do anything in particular to have the change made back to English either, but it was a surprise.

Will L wrote:

That must have been the case for me, too, Phyllis.

I don't think I did anything new, and I didn't do anything in particular to have the change made back to English either, but it was a surprise.

Any recent computer updates? Whenever I accept updates I always end up with a few new unwanted plug ins and settings. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members