🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not getting hired, please help!
Page options
fogbe
Community Member

Not getting hired, please help!

Hello UpWork community,

Hope everyone is doing their best to stay positive in these times of global uncertainty?

Please I need your assistance on how to win jobs on this platform.

I signed up as a freelancer in just under a year ago but despite having a fully completed profile and submitting proposals regularly, I’ve not been picked for jobs.

I suspect it’s because I’m not from a “native” English speaking country, even though the English language is Nigeria’s official language.

I hope I’m wrong in this regard and it’s other issues I have overlooked.

I look forward to the guidance of the community on how to proceed.

Thank you
1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Fredrick N. O wrote:
I hope I’m wrong in this regard and it’s other issues I have overlooked.

What you're missing is the fact that your profile is carelessly thrown together at best.

You are trying to compete in an incredibly competitive niche and your profile doesn't sell you at all. The overview is generic and has English errors on it- Unacceptable for someone who wants to be hired as a writer. Clients see mistakes on a profile and think "If he can't even write his own profile in acceptable English, why would he write my article in English that is any better?"

There is also no portfolio. Clients will look at your profile, doubt your ability to write in mistake-free, eloquent English because your profile is written in neither, and look for portfolio items that could possibly back up your claims and show your skills, and find that there are none...

Why don't you have a portfolio that showcases at least 5 of your best writing examples?

Fredrick N. O wrote:
I suspect it’s because I’m not from a “native” English speaking country, even though the English language is Nigeria’s official language.

Just because it is the official language does not mean that everyone there is able to write in the style of English that is expected for the US, UK or global market...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members