🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not showing up in Talent searches?
Page options
don-clermont
Community Member

Not showing up in Talent searches?

Could someone please help me understand how the results list in talent searches works?

I searched "talent" for a "data analysis" and then "statistician" and I couldn't see my profile on the first ten pages. Despite this, there were loads of other profiles that seemed to have worse stats than I do (Job success score, earnings, etc.) and some that were totally unrelated, like a translator who appeared on page 6. 

I would just love to know what I can do to bump up my profile's position in the search for "data analyst" and "statistician" despite my profile having these tags and my having worked on recent projects related to this. 

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can provide! 

Don C. 

14 REPLIES 14
martina_plaschka
Community Member

A client searching gets different results than yourself searching. Don't worry about it. It's the algorithm, not you. 

Martina P wrote:

Don't worry about it. It's the algorithm, not you. 

His profile does not appear at all... Nowhere. Never mind the first 10 pages. Edited... See below

I've set appropriate filters, which cut the search results down to 5 pages. He's not there (searching from a client account).

Interestingly, when I removed the filter for $60 an hour or higher and added French as a language, he appeared in first place. So the "$60 an hour or higher" filter was what kept him out of the search. Strange. His hourly rate is $60

So now I added the hourly rate back in, but did so using $30 to $60, and here he is again, in first place (out of 2 lol).

So, when Upwork say "Hourly rate $60 and higher" they mean "$60.01 and higher" and people who have an hourly rate of $60 are excluded from searches that filter for "Hourly rate $60 and higher".

In other words: The OP does appear in search results, there are just so many people in that category that his profile (currently) doesn't appear extremely high unless filters are used, which is likely due to the normal profile rotation. (Profiles are rotated in search results to make it a little more fair, but the better the profile, the higher the profile is likely to show more often).

I believe it is a waste of my time to search for myself.

I searched for myself during the first week thst I had a freelancer account. Then realized it didn't benefit me to do so.

By working hard for clients and establishing a successful job history, I eventually began to receive job invites regularly. I no longer need to send proposals. So I assume clients are not having trouble finding me when they search using pertinent search terms.

Thanks for this Preston. I think you're right: with more hard work and good reviews, my profile will reach the top pages more consistently (even if there's a rotation). That said, I have a 100% JSS, $8K+ earned, and all five-star reviews, so I was thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong (not using the right keywords in my bio, not selecting the right "top ten skills", etc.).

Just wondering if you have any thoughts. Thanks again! 

Don C. 

I support the idea that our best promoters are the solutions we generate.  Thanks for this success story!

I just did a search for myself from my client account.  Nothing.  NADA.  Could someone else please try?  I haven't had an invite for weeks...

Mary W wrote:

I just did a search for myself from my client account.  Nothing.  NADA.  Could someone else please try?  I haven't had an invite for weeks...

I find you easily with the keyword Paralegal and a few filters such as in this search.

Interestingly, when I added a category filter for "Legal", which I would do if I was looking for a paralegal, you do NOT appear in the search.

Thanks so much for this Petra. It's just frustrating that one would have to filter for "French language" in order for my profile to show up. As you can imagine, I've never gotten a data analysis job because I speak French.

I have a 100% JSS and over $8K earned and all five-star reviews. Any recommendation on how to get my profile to play along better with the algorithm? Thanks again! 

Don C. 

Donald C wrote:

I have a 100% JSS and over $8K earned and all five-star reviews. 

Do do thousands of others, that's why you don't always appear in the first few pages of unfiltered search results.

Donald C wrote:

I have a 100% JSS and over $8K earned and all five-star reviews. Any recommendation on how to get my profile to play along better with the algorithm? 

Just wait until you have more work under your belt ($8k is nothing to be honest).

I would also suggest you stop hiding your earnings. This certainly results in less invites.

Until you have built up a solid histor, relying on invites is not realistic. Keep applying.

Fair points all around. Thanks again for your tips! 

Don C. 

686b2ba1
Community Member

I am having the same exact issue.  I even created a Client account and searched for my Freelance account using all kinds of different filters and I never show up in any Talent searches. I have wasted so much time creating my profile and projects to not even be able to be discovered in Talent searches. This website has been such a huge waste of my time. NOTE: this is not my Freelance profile.

Most of the freelancers on this thread have quit Upwork. 

I get you. There are 10 times more freelancers since 2023 than in 2021 when this post was made. The algo keeps shuffling profiles and gives preference to newbies. 

I appear on 4th page in one week and for the next 3 weeks, I don't even appear on the 12th page on search.

Don't depend on invites, but apply to relevant jobs. Don't depend only on Upwork, but check out other marketplaces and contact clients directly through cold mail or LinkedIn.

Thank you for your response. I went through the entire process of uploading ID and verifying myself, setting up a Project and creating my profile, and the basic functions of a search for a freelancer don't even appear to work on this web site. Why would Upwork make it so difficult for a person to be discovered?

Earlier, you never paid to play, and the search position was based on your ratings, money and more.

Now, you pay for everything from applying to jobs and profile and project boosts. This requires then to keep shuffling profiles around so everyone who pays gets a chance to be visible.

Whether it translates to invites remains to be seen.

As I said , the platform is saturated with skilled and unskilled profiles, but has fewer quality clients left, and the algo simply keeps people rotating around.

It depends on the category as well. Certain job categories have a lot of client actively creating offers. If you happen to work in those niches, you may still get invites down the line.  

If your profile is new, try boosting it, and you may get invites. No guarantees though that the money is well spent.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members