🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Not showing up in first 100 or so results in ...
Page options
agrawala
Community Member

Not showing up in first 100 or so results in search for freelancers

I wonder what the algorithm for searching for freelancers looks for. I tried a narrow search specifying exact keywords for freelancers who have worked for over 1000 hours, with earnings of over $10K, job success of 90% plus, with native English capability. I could not find my name in top 100 results. I even looked for the names of a couple of colleagues who meet the criteria and found their name also absent. This is also reflected in the drop off in the number of invitations to interview that we have been seeing over the past few months. Does being a premium member have anything to do with it? 

7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aditya,

Freelancers in search results are showed on a rotating basis so that everyone gets a fair chance to be discovered. I was able to locate your account by searching your name.

~ Bojan
Upwork
agrawala
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Thanks - I can also find my profile by searching for my name. But the question I had in mind was related to the appearance based on skills, profile title, projects, portfolio, etc. Moreover, this is co-related with the drop off in invitations to interview for jobs as well. Has anyone else noticed this? Especially those who are not premium members?

Aditya

petra_r
Community Member

Aditya A wrote:

Thanks - I can also find my profile by searching for my name. But the question I had in mind was related to the appearance based on skills, profile title, projects, portfolio, etc.

Considering how many thousands and thousands and thousands of freelancers do Wordpress and Shopify, you expect to consistently appear in the first 100 results..... why exactly?

Aditya A wrote:

Moreover, this is co-related with the drop off in invitations to interview for jobs as well. Has anyone else noticed this?

There is a global pandemic going on, which has driven a huge flood of people to try and find work online. Competition has never been this fierce...

That said, your profile can be found-

search results.png

Aditya A wrote:

Especially those who are not premium members?

Being on the Premium plan (or not) has no effect on your search placing.

agrawala
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Aditya A wrote:

Thanks - I can also find my profile by searching for my name. But the question I had in mind was related to the appearance based on skills, profile title, projects, portfolio, etc.

Considering how many thousands and thousands and thousands of freelancers do Wordpress and Shopify, you expect to consistently appear in the first 100 results..... why exactly?

Precisely because of the criteria I listed in my original question. With these narrow search criteria (specifically including high number of hours, high level of earnings, job success ratio, etc) I used to find my profile in the top 30-40 consistently earlier. I don't see that now. Which is why I posed the question to try and understand the factors and logic used to present the order of results - much like we do for SEO. I am also not underestimating the increased level of competition and the increase in the number of people who may be meeting this criteria. That is why I extended my search from top 20-30 to top 100. But the results IMHO, do not seem to be in line with the trend and time elapsed since my last such successful test.

I have also reviewed many profiles which show up in the Top 100 results, who do not even have Wordpress listed in their profile title, and a couple of jobs related to Wordpress and an item or two in their portfolio. This seems counter-intuitive even from clients' perspective who may be searching for freelancers with these criteria and would likely want to find people with more experience, credibility, track record, specialization, etc. (as might be reflected by number of projects, portfolio items, profile headline, skills, profile description) for the specific topics listed. Therefore, any information on understanding the logic behind the order of these results would be very helpful.

Aditya A wrote:

Moreover, this is co-related with the drop off in invitations to interview for jobs as well. Has anyone else noticed this?

There is a global pandemic going on, which has driven a huge flood of people to try and find work online. Competition has never been this fierce...

Yes there is a global pandemic going on and there are many people looking for work. However, Upwork has not opened its doors to just anyone looking for work, especially in this competitive field for Wordpress. It's been quite tough for any new and relatively inexperienced person with Wordpress , HTML , CSS, Javascript skills to join Upwork as a new freelancer for at least 1 or 2 years now. I know because more than a few friends, acquaintainces have tried and have not been approved. 

That said, your profile can be found-

search results.png

Great if you can see it with the criteria given above - that helps me.

Aditya A wrote:

Especially those who are not premium members?

Being on the Premium plan (or not) has no effect on your search placing.

Do you know this for a fact - as in can you point me to some Upwork communication (help article, community discussion thread, email, tweet, etc.) to this effect - or is this your assumption? Any pointers would again be very useful.

Thanks

Aditya

Hi Aditya,

I would also like to confirm that upgrading to our Plus plan will not affect how many times you will appear in search results.
All freelancers are shown on a rotating basis in order for everyone to have a fair chance to be discovered. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Thank you for your confirmation regarding Plus plan - it is very useful to know. 

You mention display of profiles on rotation - can you shed more light on this? How does this work? 

Aditya

Hi Aditya,

Unfortunately no, I can't share more details about our search results. However, rest assured your profile is showing in search results and clients are able to find you. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members