🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Ongoing job with simple tasks, but I'd like a...
Page options
brookegoodwin
Community Member

Ongoing job with simple tasks, but I'd like an adjustment... Should I ask?

Hello, all!

I've been doing simple tasks consistently for a client for the past few months. We've established a bit of a system between her creating milestones, sending me content for the tasks, and me submitting those completed tasks. They're usually in batches of anywhere from 10-20, but I've discovered that I like working with smaller batches. (This wasn't mentioned in the initial job posting, it's just what we set up.)

Additionally, I've picked up more clients - some of which pay better - as well as other things I would like to dedicate my time to. I think my client and I have a solid, professional relationship so I was wondering: Should I ask if it's possible to decrease the size of the batches of tasks I receive per milestone?

I haven't asked the client what she uses the content for because I'm only doing what I'm paid to do. However, I don't want to come off as rude, inconsiderate, or overstep any boundaries. Since this is my first time in a situation like this, I thought I would see what other people thought!

EDIT: I am referring to writing articles - those are the tasks.

4 REPLIES 4
jr-translation
Community Member

Brooke G wrote:

Hello, all!

I've been doing simple tasks consistently for a client for the past few months. We've established a bit of a system between her creating milestones, sending me content for the tasks, and me submitting those completed tasks. They're usually in batches of anywhere from 10-20, but I've discovered that I like working with smaller batches. (This wasn't mentioned in the initial job posting, it's just what we set up.)

Additionally, I've picked up more clients - some of which pay better - as well as other things I would like to dedicate my time to. I think my client and I have a solid, professional relationship so I was wondering: Should I ask if it's possible to decrease the size of the batches of tasks I receive per milestone?

I haven't asked the client what she uses the content for because I'm only doing what I'm paid to do. However, I don't want to come off as rude, inconsiderate, or overstep any boundaries. Since this is my first time in a situation like this, I thought I would see what other people thought!

You should always make sure you get paid for the time you need for a job. $5 for beta reading a 30k book does not even cover the coffee you drink while reading. You are either good in what you are doing and charge accordingly or you are forever stuck with clients that have you working at $5/day.

You should also spend some time reading the ToS. Paid reviews on Amazon are a ToS violation.

Thank you for the advice!

Also, what exactly do you mean by the last part: "You should also spend some time reading the ToS. Paid reviews on Amazon are a ToS violation"? (Not asking because I'm clueless on the ToS, but more in case you think I'm doing that.)

Brooke G wrote:

Thank you for the advice!

Also, what exactly do you mean by the last part: "You should also spend some time reading the ToS. Paid reviews on Amazon are a ToS violation"? (Not asking because I'm clueless on the ToS, but more in case you think I'm doing that.)

I don't know, maybe because of jobs like Honest Amazon Reviews Needed for Books in your job history? 

Brooke G wrote:

Because receiving money for leaving (even an honest) review on Amazon, or even a free product, is a serious violation of Amazon's terms of service and Upwork's terms of service. Amazon have absolutely no sense of humour when it comes to that and have already sued over 1000 freelancers over this (from another platform).

Many clients know this and have had their job posts taken down so many times that they now word their job posts in such a way that it is no longer obvious and don't start to mention Amazon until a later point, but those of us who have been around a while know how they are disguised. And some even actually say it outright.

Others even go as far as falsely claiming that the job is compliant with Amazon terms.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members