🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Order of Operations for Onboarding
Page options
d539d7d5
Community Member

Order of Operations for Onboarding

Hello Upwork Community,

I have recently been interviewed and entered the process of onboarding, due to the holidays the client who is responsible for moving forward with the activation seems to be indisposed. I had met with another member of the client's team and discussed details pertaining to the project. No offer has been sent, but I had received written and verbal confirmation that I was to be accepted. Subsequently, I was sent credentials to services, provided access to the codebase, and given sensitive documentation about the project.

Today I had prepared a firm message to provide the project manager describing that I had discovered there are glaring contradictions in the technologies used in the project, and the ones described in the job posting. Furthermore, I no longer believe that my skillset in the great alignment with the project description that led me to submit a proposal.

I had only discovered this contradiction after discussing that I have now "worked" 1 hour, and had reaffirmed that I am still awaiting the activation on Upwork and had been reassured it was arriving.

Here are the actions I am thinking of taking:
Meeting with the project manager, describing that there are concrete reasons why I am in everyway capable of satisfying the details of the job description, but the actual job discussed is not the same. Offering a consultation, with a seperate proposal/offer to address these inconsistencies so that they may find an engineer with the skillset for the actual tasks.

I understand that since I "worked" prior to the activation that I am offered no protections, but I want to make sure that I will not face consequences as well. I am asking for constructive criticism by the community to best address how to protect themselves from misleading job postings when the person who writes the post and who facilitates the onboarding may have different understandings of what the actual tasks are.

Best,
Daniel

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Communicating outside of upwork before hire can get you suspended. Don't do it again. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Communicating outside of upwork before hire can get you suspended. Don't do it again. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members