cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Connect System is not fair at all.

Kevin N Member Since: Oct 21, 2019
11 of 16

Yeah, I'm Top-rated, have a 100% job success score, have earned more than $10K(close to $15k), pretty much have 5-star ratings across the board, and can't get a reply to a single proposal. 

Whatever they changed, for whatever reason, it is no longer working for me. I think it's probably time to move on to another platform or two or start to try to market myself through other channels. 

It's a shame, really. I liked this platform a lot. In the past, I knew that landing jobs was just a numbers game. I'd put out a bunch of proposals and although I wouldn't get close to all the jobs I bid for, I landed enough to make the time and effort more than worth it. Even when I had very little feedback and almost no portfolio. 

Now, I can't get a response on $50 graphic design jobs. And when I do finally land a job, I'm probably only going to clear enough to barely cover the money I've spent on connects. 

Community Guru
Robin H Member Since: May 28, 2019
12 of 16

Kevin N wrote:

Yeah, I'm Top-rated, have a 100% job success score, have earned more than $10K(close to $15k), pretty much have 5-star ratings across the board, and can't get a reply to a single proposal. 

Whatever they changed, for whatever reason, it is no longer working for me. I think it's probably time to move on to another platform or two or start to try to market myself through other channels. 

It's a shame, really. I liked this platform a lot. In the past, I knew that landing jobs was just a numbers game. I'd put out a bunch of proposals and although I wouldn't get close to all the jobs I bid for, I landed enough to make the time and effort more than worth it. Even when I had very little feedback and almost no portfolio. 

Now, I can't get a response on $50 graphic design jobs. And when I do finally land a job, I'm probably only going to clear enough to barely cover the money I've spent on connects. 

Kevin,

Graphic design is one of the most competitive jobs here.  Your profile is private so I cannot provide commentary.  You're competing with freelancers offering $10 to create a logo.  Make your profile stand-out.  Your proposals should be customized and unique.  

I agree this should not be the only platform you're on.  Explore additional channels.  

Good luck!

Kevin N Member Since: Oct 21, 2019
13 of 16

Thank you. I definitely don't go for the low-hanging fruit. I choose USA freelancers only and typically only bid for jobs that are at least $150-200+. They have always been competitive. But I have had success in the past by using my knowledge of sales to draft compelling personalized proposals. But recently it has just dried right up. Not long after the time that we went to pay-per-connect. Very frustrating. 

Jamie S Member Since: May 4, 2016
14 of 16

I also feel like the connects system needs to be looked at. You have to buy connects, then Upwork wants 20% of your initial earnings as well? Getting greedy imo. 

I like Upwork as I appreciate the protection from bad clients, but it seems a lot harder to make a good living here than it was the last time I was using the platform a lot, a few years ago. 

I'm also having similar issues with potential clients not responding to carefully drafted proposals at fair rates. These clients don't seem to be hiring at all as the jobs remain listed. If that's the case, why have I paid to be connected to a client who isn't hiring on the platform? That can't be right.

If clients don't hire within a certain amount of time, bidding freelancers should have connects returned.

Dave S Member Since: Nov 1, 2019
15 of 16

I agree. We should only be required to pay conects if we get the job. I may have to use my money more wisely with another service. Very bad business model.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 16

Dave S wrote:

I agree. We should only be required to pay conects if we get the job. I may have to use my money more wisely with another service. Very bad business model.

Returning connects to people who don't get hired would entirely defeat the purpose of paid connects. Upwork wants freelancers to bid on fewer jobs, not more, and to do so with more discrimination. And, of course, if Upwork wanted to reward any freelancers with extra or refunded connects, it would be the freelancers who DO win jobs, and thus are paying Upwork fees instead of just a few bucks for connects. 

It's only a bad business model if you believe that Upwork wants to do business with freelancers who don't land enough jobs to make the investment in connects worthwhile. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS