🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Percentage of Sucess not increasing
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Percentage of Sucess not increasing

Hello Upwork Team,

My success percentage is not moving, I have completed 4 successful projects in the last week all with a 5-star rating and one with a bonus from the client too. but my percentage is not moving up. it is 96% since then.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,125 REPLIES 1,125
fkupwork
Community Member

I consider myself a veteran in the Inbound Marketing field. I have $60K worth of work history, 22 projects, and 2343 hours. 

I was in a Top Rated Plus position. But my significantly successful contracts are not counting towards my job success score now. 

And a couple of short unsuccessful projects and a couple of successful projects where the client just opted to leave no feedback has caused my job success score to drop to 47%.

As a result, I'm finding it very hard to get an interview. I was getting a lot of invites last year. As a result, I had to decline opportunities. I used to get 7 Interviews out of 10 applications on average and I converted 5 out of those 7 interviews into a contract.

But now, in spite of a track record that I'm proud of, I feel I am being victimized by the current Job Success Score algorithm.

Did any other fellow freelancers face this kind of situation?

If yes, how did you bounce back?

What can I do to land a job? What measures is UpWork taking to empower long-term users who might be facing situations like mine?

Feeling a bit sad. 

Best Regards,
Sahan (Unofficial Nickname)

petra_r
Community Member

I S M H wrote:

And a couple of short unsuccessful projects and a couple of successful projects where the client just opted to leave no feedback has caused my job success score to drop to 47%.

Contracts with no feedback do not affect the JSS at all, so that is not true.

Your JSS is what it is because you have had a significant number of unhappy clients, even after using the perk to remove at least one of them. Also remember that your JSS is THE BEST of the different calculation windows....

I S M H wrote:

But now, in spite of a track record that I'm proud of, I feel I am being victimized by the current Job Success Score algorithm.

How are you "victimized"? The JSS bends over backwards to show off a freelancer in the best possible light considering that it is the BEST of 4 calculation windows... That means that your others are even worse!

Maybe you need to try a bit less of "being proud" and a bit more of "How in the world did it go that badly wrong and what do I need to do to make sure my clients have a better experience working with me in the future?"

I S M H wrote:

What measures is UpWork taking to empower long-term users who might be facing situations like mine?

This may be hard to hear, but if you take a step back and look at this realistically,,,

It's not actually in Upwork's interest to somehow promote freelancers who have a track record of poor client experiences. Unhappy clients spend less money and may leave the platform altogether. Such experiences can also cost Upwork additional money in form of disputes and customer service time.

All you can do is plough on sending excellent proposals and making sure that any future contracts consistently go a lot better than those in the last 2 years have. There is no shortcut.

fkupwork
Community Member

I welcome this much-needed feedback. Can you view my UpWork profile?

If yes, could you leave me with more feedback via DM or publicly?

If you can check my work history, I request you to check them as well and I'm open to any guidelines and suggestions that you might have for me.

1c3bf944
Community Member

Dear Experts,

I am new on upwork.. I started working on upwork since December and got good clients and work and earned a decent amount within 2 or 3 months..

My all customers rated me 5 star publicly, but my first JSS score is quite low 58 %...

Now one of the reasons I guess due to not having enough knowledge of upwork policies I ended 1 contract without getting any money due to unexpected behaviour of client while I could have logged 1 hour manual time for my work, but due to my work ethics I chose to not put any time entry and closed the contract, also my 2 clients ended the contract before start due to different reasons..

Also 1 of the contracts is paused , and he may come back later. So these are few which are not my mistake, as whatever contract was provided to me I delivered it with good standards and I also have 5 star review from high paying client...

Whatever the reason is I am worried if my low JSS of 58 % will harm me on upwork and I will not get any more project and I may also be banned from upwork..

Your kind advice will be highly appreciated and also what should be my next action plan..

Regards

You only have 3 ended contracts with feedback. Private feedback is the main factor in the JSS calculation, so even on contracts with no money paid, the clients might have been unhappy about how things ended, or it could have been one of the other clients, or a combination of those factors. You can never know who left bad private feedback. 

Make sure to accept only jobs that you will actually do and perform well and do your best to deliver excellent results. 

1c3bf944
Community Member

Hi @Martina,

Can upwork ban for low JSS? If yes how much  score is considered lower? 

Also on 58 % JSS Can I still be hired by clients?

Regards,

Chandan

Chandan S wrote:

Hi @Martina,

Can upwork ban for low JSS? If yes how much  score is considered lower? 

Also on 58 % JSS Can I still be hired by clients?

Regards,

Chandan

I don't know if they close profiles with a very low JSS, they might, since it demonstrates that the freelancer will not be successful on the platform, but probably not at 58%. 

You should get your clients to end ongoing contracts, if that makes sense for them too, but only when you expect very good feedback. You should not be telling clients with ongoing contracts: let's end this one and start a new one since my JSS is in the toilet, that is not the way to go. I would not send proposals before your JSS is much improved, you are just wasting connects. 

Edit: what are you doing??? Your profile rate is 40, yet you work for anything between 3 and 80. This demonstrates unprofessionalism and is a huge problem if you want to present in a professional manner. 

I would not send proposals before your JSS is much improved, you are just wasting connect

Hi @Martina P, Your this statement really confuses me, Are you saying currently all proposal I send after low JSS is of no use  and only option I have, to close ongoing contracts with good feedback? 

I am also not sure if any client will  accept my proposal due to low JSS even if I send him a better  proposal?? 

Someone please help me as I really need help..

1c3bf944
Community Member

The 3 $ contract is just for some adjustment client wanted in previous contract and it is  for short time., later he said he will change it to 40 $, So you mean I should not send proposals before my JSS is improved? 

If you see most of the projects I have got between 30 to 40 USD, just as per my profile rate... I got 80 $/per hour due to a niche skill required by client...

Kindly let me know if I should still send proposals or wait for my JSS get improved? Or is their probablity of getting hired on this score? 

1c3bf944
Community Member

Dear Experts,

I am new on upwork.. I started working on upwork since December and got good clients and work and earned a decent amount within 2 or 3 months..

My all customers rated me 5 star publicly, but my first JSS score is quite low 58 %...

Now one of the reasons I guess due to not having enough knowledge of upwork policies I ended 1 contract without getting any money due to unexpected behaviour of client while I could have logged 1 hour manual time for my work, but due to my work ethics I chose to not put any time entry and closed the contract, also my 2 clients ended the contract before start due to different reasons..

Also 1 of the contracts is paused , and he may come back later. So these are few which are not my mistake, as whatever contract was provided to me I delivered it with good standards and I also have 5 star review from high paying client...

Whatever the reason is I am worried if my low JSS of 58 % will harm me on upwork and I will not get any more project and I may also be banned from upwork..

Your kind advice will be highly appreciated and also what should be my next action plan..

Regards

wer666
Community Member

Have JSS 65 with all feedbacks 5.0. How do I know why?

tagrendy
Community Member

Likely there was a bad private feedback.

petra_r
Community Member

Chyngyz D wrote:

Have JSS 65 with all feedbacks 5.0. 

The stars are irrelevant. You had poor private feedback on roughly a third of the closed contracts.

dd5a5708
Community Member

Hello! I was assigned JSS when I received enough feedback from clients. However, 88% is not enough for me. All feedback is positive. What affects JSS? Tell me, how can I increase JSS?

petra_r
Community Member

Polina G wrote:

What affects JSS?

(Private) feedback. On all completed contracts, but also on any possible canceled or refunded ones,

Polina G wrote: All feedback is positive. 

The public feedback maybe...

Polina G wrote: Tell me, how can I increase JSS?

Complete more contracts with great outcomes.

Private feedback effects JSS the most. You can increase it by ensuring the client really is happy with everything before closing the project. So good private feedback, especially from bigger projects, will increase the JSS. Also being rehired by the same client has a positive effect on JSS. Here you can read more about it.

johnomi
Community Member

Client even give me bouns and 3 star that's can effect my job success score?

fatima-zahir
Community Member

Hi, I just want to know about my JSS. As I completed 5-6 jobs in the last few weeks, my JSS is not increasing. I want to know the reason. As I am doing hard work, but not paying for this as my JSS remains the same.

I had 100% JSS and after that, I also got three 5-star feedback on different projects & earned an amount total of more than 2000$ but my profile changed to 85% JSS in fact of "Top-Rated". How?

Why not 100% job success score & Top Rated?

alaadel
Community Member

Hello,

I noticed I have a low success score, even though I didn't upset any of my clients 🙂 !

- I finished 2 projects, one of them has 5-stars, and the other one the client didn't give feedback.

- I have 3 projects in progress, no feedback yet.

- I worked on 2 other projects before, and the clients decided (in the middle of the project) that they don't want to continue. One of them changed requirements after I delivered the work, and the other had issue with his/her company and postponed the project. I gave them refunds (the amount was small anyway). Their decision was not based on my work, they simply changed their minds.

So, 1x 5-stars + 1x no feedback + 2x refunds (decided by the client, not based on my work) = 76% success score !?

I tried contacting support, but it seems it is no longer available? I always get redirected to the help center and chatbot.

It is really fraustrating to work hard on every project, and after all that, the system gives my profile 76% based on something that was not my fault 😕

Thank you.

mohzys23
Community Member

Hello everyone, my JSS refuses to update while other values like clients who recommend you got the update. Please is there an issue with my profile or my profile is yet to receive JSS update?

Hii Moses,

I would like to confirm that your JSS calculation is correct and everything is working as designed. To learn more about JSS and how it's calculated, check out this guide. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

3 weeks ago I had a 98% JSS I had 2 ratings that were not so good then I dropped down to 85%, I recently completed 3 successful jobs, and it is still 85% and I am 100% certain the clients didn't leave bad private feedback.

abeshi_webfly
Community Member

Hello, I have read many posts before posting this but I don't quite see any post yet that fits mine.
I got my first JSS of 89%, and although I know I had one client that might have given bad private feedback, changed it afterward, I have 5 more positive feedbacks so it doesn't seem fair why I get 8
9%, I think because of the jobs I had with the "scammer" that got suspended? this client's job got removed from public view by Upwork but I still see it in "my jobs" so I guess it affects my JSS?
but that isn't my fault. So why does it affect my JSS? All my active jobs are going well so it seems rather unfair to have this score.

I need help understanding why I got this score.

Emmanuel A wrote:

Hello, I have read many posts before posting this but I don't quite see any post yet that fits mine.
I got my first JSS of 89%, and although I know I had one client that might have given bad private feedback, changed it afterward, I have 5 more positive feedbacks so it doesn't seem fair why I get 8
9%, I think because of the jobs I had with the "scammer" that got suspended? this client's job got removed from public view by Upwork but I still see it in "my jobs" so I guess it affects my JSS?
but that isn't my fault. So why does it affect my JSS? All my active jobs are going well so it seems rather unfair to have this score.

I need help understanding why I got this score.

Because the client that gave you bad feedback but changed it only changed the public feedback. Private feedback can never be changed. The main factor in the JSS is private feedback. 

Emmanuel A wrote:

I got my first JSS of 89%, and although I know I had one client that might have given bad private feedback, changed it afterward, .

Private feedback can't be changed at all.

Emmanuel A wrote: I think because of the jobs I had with the "scammer" that got suspended? this client's job got removed from public view by Upwork but I still see it in "my jobs" so I guess it affects my JSS?

No, contracts with clients who were suspended are excluded.

You had not-so-great private feedback on at least one of your contracts. But because you have completed so few so far, even one great outcome will likely push you over the 90% line which is the main thing.

98fd6664
Community Member

Hi there , 

I am kausar Hasan . My JSS was 97% , today since morning i can see my JSS 86% . My last 3-5 jobs was positive feedback i can't get any negative feedback from my client. So, i think it's mistake .please help me. Thanks 

-kausar Hasan

kausar H wrote:

Hi there , 

I am kausar Hasan . My JSS was 97% , today since morning i can see my JSS 86% . My last 3-5 jobs was positive feedback i can't get any negative feedback from my client. So, i think it's mistake .please help me. Thanks 

-kausar Hasan

Hi Kausar,

The JSS depends upon the private feedback given by the clients. They may give 5 star publicly but the private feedback isn;t visible and weighs more, 

Well yikes! Thank you, Petra.

I guess this only will get updated in 14 days right?

mohzys23
Community Member

3 weeks ago I had a 98% JSS I had 2 ratings that were not so good then my score dropped down to 85% instantly, I recently completed 3 successful jobs and the client showed their 100% satisfaction, and still, my score is 85% and I am 100% certain the clients won't lie.

mohzys23
Community Member

3 weeks ago I had a 98% JSS I had 2 ratings that were not so good then my score dropped down to 85% in a few hours. So I recently completed 3 successful jobs after that and the client showed 100% satisfaction, and still, my JSS score remains 85% while the client recommended score increased by about 9% and I am very certain the clients won't lie.

Please is this an issue or do I have to wait a while for changes to take effect?

lucianabass
Community Member

Last Sunday My Raising Talent badge was replaced by a horrendous JSS (57%). I understand that JSS is calculated using private feedback as well as Public feedback, or mostly private feedback. I only have 4 closed contracts on my profile, two are 5 stars, one 4.8 and one 4. According to what I've been reading in this forum stars are irrelevant. I would like to know:  Is the effect proportionate to the value of the project? I know the largest contract I have (in terms of $) had left negative public feedback, which he later changed, but as private feedback can't be changed I believe this is what is affecting the rest. However, I have a contract that is slightly smaller, 70$, and that I believe should have left positive private feedback, but that does not seem to be having any effect on my overall JSS, or else it wouldn't be so low.  I am seeking help and trying to understand why it's so low. It will be so hard for me to revert this and get a contract ever again with such a low score, which is caused by just one client, who has even regretted and reverted his public feedback. 

Thanks in advance for your help 🙂

The $70 contract probably didn't leave great feedback either, since they have not given 5 public stars. The contracts are somewhat $ weighed, but it's not exactly proportional. 

It's always private feedback, there's not much you can do now except have more contracts with better outcomes. 

The 70$ client said she was very pleased with the result, it's true that she didn't give 5 stars, but 4.8 isn't too far from that. This will make getting new contracts almost impossible. The public feedback is so different that I thought there may be a mistake. It's so discouraging. 

mstasiv
Community Member

Hello,

Hope you are doing well.

I am so curious why my JSS did not change at this time.

It would be great if you could clarify this.

Thanks,

Mykola

It looks like your last rated job was on Feb. 20, which was the previous 2-week period when the JSS was calculated. Since you didn't have any new jobs close since that time, your rating wouldn't have changed (provided no old jobs fell out of the time window, I just glanced quickly and didn't check to see how long you've been on Upwork).

dd63c576
Community Member

Hello Everyone,

My JSS dropped to 87% and was stripped off the Top Rated Badge directly. Now, I completed 3 jobs with heavy weightage and the clients left feedbacks since last four weeks. But my JSS is the same. I'm much worried about this. Nobody solved this issue even before two weeks and my topic was merged into a same old topic which dumped somewhere. (Although one member answered which was strictly wrong.)

I appeal officials to see this matter. 

Hopefully you can get a direct answer to this, but it's possible the clients' private feedback wasn't as high as their public feedback.

cd20c95d
Community Member

Greetings,

I completed my 8th project on Upwork yesterday with full 5 stars and a great review. However, the JSS score that I received is 45%. I don't understand why I didn't get a JSS score of 90% as all of my reviews are positive and 5-stars. Moreover, I even have an RT badge on my profile. 

It would be great if someone could elaborate on this issue.

Regards,

Hi Salman,

Thank you for your message. Job Success Scores reflect a wide range of factors such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Please see the following link for more info about what affects your score.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members