» Forums » Freelancers » Portfolio cull at 100
Page options
samneedham
Community Member

Portfolio cull at 100

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

100? You can't expect a client to scroll through those anyway. 

That's not the point, they should've informed that they would do this. Many of us just add our most recent work to the portfolio, with not enough time to erase past ones anyway. Have them just erase the last year and a half worth of work with no warning is damaging and disrespectful. They could have at least asked us to trim it ourselves. This will be hours' worth of extra work now.

petra_r
Community Member

Sam N wrote:

This has affected my livelihood and income significantly

It hasn't! Come ON now, how would it have done that?

Sorry, but it is a massive mental leap to think that not having more than 100 portfolio pieces has anything whatsoever to do with your lack of success, how would that even work?

Because they cut off all my recent items back to Sep 2020. It looks like I've done no work since then. It's not a huge leap, before this happened I was getting at least one invite to interview a day, now there hasn't been any. And every time I place bids I scored contracts, even had to turn some down. This is no longer the case either. 

Before clients even scroll down to your portfolio, they can see your work history which makes it pretty clear when you worked last. Nobody looks at a portfolio for that information. 

That's a good point, however, don't you think it would've been more helpful to let us know they were going to do this first?

And I have experienced this drop in work which directly correlates to this. Maybe more clients judge from portfolios than work history, in the animation/illustration field anyway.

Correlation does not equal causation. 

Well, looks like Upwork Help have agreed that it negatively impacted my income, and modified the portfolio to not have that limit after all. Thanks for your help

samneedham
Community Member

The bottom line is though, they should've warned us, not just culled everything recent. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members