🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Potential Scammer on UpWork?
Page options
prometheanpic
Community Member

Potential Scammer on UpWork?

Received an invite for an interview. The client asked that the interview be held over google hangouts by another individual. They stated they were working on behalf of a technology company however there was no reference to them in the company directory. The proposed chat was no video as suspected but simply, text chat. 

When I went back into upwork to review the job posting as this seemed odd, UpWork had removed it and the clients account had be shut down. 

How often are people scammed through the site? 

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Keith B wrote:

How often are people scammed through the site? 

That rather depends on how careful they are and how clearly they understand how not to violate Upwork's terms of Service. It is not impossible to be scammed if you keep your wits about you and don't do anything incredibly stupid like accept to be sent a check or some such utter nonsense, but very rare.

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How often are people scammed through the site?"

A LOT of people are scammed through the site.

Because Upwork is THE top freelance work platform in the world. There are millions of users. There are real jobs here. A lot of freelancers earning a lot of money.

That is why the scammers come here to try to trick newbies... because this is where the money is.

Would you rather use website that had no scammers because the scamers no there is little real activity or money being earned? Or would you like to use a website that is the #1 target of scammers?

I believe Upwork is the #1 target of scammers. But the scammers never contact me, because they don't waste their time contacting experienced Upwork users. They know that experienced Upwork users won't fall for their scam.

I don't think you'll fall for their scams, either. I think you just need to gain some more experience, and then they will completely ignore you, too.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members