🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Problems with the "bidding system" - NO MORE ...
Page options
Community Member

Problems with the "bidding system" - NO MORE JOBS !!

Hi Upworkers,

I'm asking this question here to see if anyone else is having the same issue.
I am a Pattern Surface Designer, and this is the only platform that publishes freelance opportunities in my region. As a result, Upwork is vital for me.
Prior to the "bidding system," I was able to apply for and win some of the jobs advised here, and I was extremely excited about the prospects.
However, with the implementation of the new system, I received no job offers or even an invitation to an interview.
According to my understanding, if you do not bid with a large number of coins, your proposal will not be revealed to the client. It's just another tactic to get us, the freelancers, to purchase coins from Upwork.

This is not what I expected from this site, and I am now extremely hesitant to apply for employment on it.

Do you have the same issue? Do you have any suggestions for better choices for freelance Surface Designers?

Please I would love to hear your opinion here.

Thanks all. 

6 REPLIES 6
christopherbudde
Community Member

I believe Upwork is in trouble. Their stock price was $7.99 today. That's down from $25 just a year ago. The CEO sold 30k shares in March. Not very reassuring numbers. It seems too me they have embraced selling connects over a percentage of user earnings. Agencys now mass bid almost all the projects. I personally don't cold apply anymore. I wait for mostly direct contacts. About 80% of my work is ongoing with my established clients. I'm also part time around here. Will Upwork last another year? Not sure I will...

Yep, they're laying off people there was an article about their troubles I read today. Probably why they raised the connects from 6 to 8 on a lot of jobs.

137 employees or 15% of the workforce.

Well they reduced their commission so they had to make up for that shortfall. 

If they were smart they would weed out these $100.00 job listings for 2 days work in the USA. If clients had to pay more they'd make more. Their business model is to let clients have the run of the place and freelancers pick up the tab.

Increased. From 5 to 10%.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members