🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Project Budget and milestone
Page options
03aeb2b3
Community Member

Project Budget and milestone

The client's posting had $150 as the budget for content writing in which I applied for. She sent a contract to me and funded only $50 for a milestone for the first draft. I provided the first draft and she said she loved it. She approved the milestone and closed the contract right away. I'm confused. Was her intention to only pay $50 for the project? 

I'm learning from my mistakes on Upwork. I now know that if I see a smaller amount than what the approved budget states, I need to ask for the amount discussed to be funded in the milestone.

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

The budget doesn't count.

The budget means nothing. Ignore it.

re: "The client's posting had $150 as the budget for content writing in which I applied for. She sent a contract to me and funded only $50 for a milestone for the first draft. I provided the first draft and she said she loved it. She approved the milestone and closed the contract right away. I'm confused. Was her intention to only pay $50 for the project?"

This client has done nothing wrong.

She funded a task for $50.

You did the task.

She paid you $50.

Perfect.

Screen Shot 2023-01-06 at 11.25.15 PM.png

 The attached shows Project Price has $150. Is that the same as the budget?

The "Project Price" means nothing.

The "Budget" means nothing.

I pay no attention to things that mean nothing on Upwork.

tlsanders
Community Member

Yes, it sounds like the client scammed you. Unfortunately, this particular scam isn't uncommon. This type of client banks on you not understanding how Upwork works. 

There is never a reason to have a milestone with partial payment for a first draft, because Upwork is set up to allow the client 14 days to review the first draft and request revisions. If they do request revisions, they can stop the clock on auto-approval and make it necessary to re-submit for payment before it starts running again. 

Thanks Tiffany, I'll keep that in mind for all future projects. She's a psychologist which boggles my mind. 

As a client, I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork.

I don't know if this client "scammed" the freelancer or not.

I don't know of the client intentionally misled the freelancer or not.

Not every client has flawless knowledge about how Upwork works.

It is the freelancer's responsibility to know how the Upwork platform works when it comes to getting paid.

I am sorry if this freelancer experienced disappointment. She won't have an opportunity to earn an additional $100 from this particular contract. That is a relatively small price to pay for important new knowledge and understanding.

Community Member

You agreed to write a draft for $50. End of story. Just remember Tiffany's advice regarding revisions.

sajal36
Community Member

Actually it is the contract which she set as milestone was the work to be paid. If she required more work than she can add another milestone to the contract. If you are looking for the advise - 

1. You do not know client side constraint or issue. May be she wanted POC sort of work and come back later

2. Request for feedback from her on the work delivered by you

3. You have gain intangible good will by showcasing your work. Preserve the contact and message her that you are looking forward to complete the remaining milestone

Upwork does not stop you from messaging to client. At the same time, you can try to send the request for another milesotne addition to her. Just try to understand & do not assume that's what going to benefit you in long run.

Community Member

OP said the contract was closed, so any further work will require a new contract, not new milestones on the same contract.

sajal36
Community Member

Just observed that in the screenshot. Probably it will be proposing a new contract.

df602768
Community Member

Yeah, what the others said. You were probably scammed. Well, it could have been worse, though. Another lesson learned at the end of the day.

03aeb2b3
Community Member

Forget everything I said. I contacted the client and asked what her budget was for the project to see if I misunderstood and she apologized and opened up a new contract to send me payment. Grateful and yes lesson learned.

All's well that ends well. Although, opening a new contract wasn't necessary - she could have paid you via a bonus on the closed job. https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000980407-Pay-a-Bonus 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members