🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposal finalization issue
Page options
c771aa88
Community Member

Proposal finalization issue

One of my recent prospective clients ask for sample voice for their upcoming projects as their selection criteria. He send two sample passages in Bengali and shared no voice recording instruction and deadline as well. But suddenly he forced me to submit the task within the same day. I submitted it and shared two raw physical files. He told me to share google link as he would share this to HR. I did that. Then he told me that it will not be accepted as some portion of the script should not be uttered and voice quality is not good then and there. This is for the first time I faced it as I delivered good amount of work as sample (as a free service) and rejected. Please advise what to do? I feel cheated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
celgins
Community Member

Debarati,

I get the feeling you were cheated. Many scammer clients request a voice recording and use the recording without paying you. This is why they send "sample" passages for you to read; they want your voice reading their specific passage so they can use it--not just to hear your voice.

If a client really wants a glimpse of your voice, they would simply listen to the audio provided in your profile or ask  you to send a sample reading of random text. And, speaking of audio in your profile, the Sandhya Mukherjee sounds great, but I recommend adding an actual voice-over reading to your portfolio.

I don't really believe in providing samples, but going forward, you should consider adding an audio watermark to your voice-overs--especially if you wish to continue providing samples. A true audio watermark is a unique electronic identifier embedded in the audio, but you don't have to get too complicated. You could simply pause every five seconds and say something like: "This is Debarati Ghatak Lahiri 2023" or any random words that are totally unrelated to the actual voice-over material.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I would move on and mark it as a tough learning experience. There are cheaters and scammers here, and you must do what it takes to protect yourself. For you, I think that means either no samples or watermarked samples, but definitely not providing a reading of a client's provided sample.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
celgins
Community Member

Debarati,

I get the feeling you were cheated. Many scammer clients request a voice recording and use the recording without paying you. This is why they send "sample" passages for you to read; they want your voice reading their specific passage so they can use it--not just to hear your voice.

If a client really wants a glimpse of your voice, they would simply listen to the audio provided in your profile or ask  you to send a sample reading of random text. And, speaking of audio in your profile, the Sandhya Mukherjee sounds great, but I recommend adding an actual voice-over reading to your portfolio.

I don't really believe in providing samples, but going forward, you should consider adding an audio watermark to your voice-overs--especially if you wish to continue providing samples. A true audio watermark is a unique electronic identifier embedded in the audio, but you don't have to get too complicated. You could simply pause every five seconds and say something like: "This is Debarati Ghatak Lahiri 2023" or any random words that are totally unrelated to the actual voice-over material.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I would move on and mark it as a tough learning experience. There are cheaters and scammers here, and you must do what it takes to protect yourself. For you, I think that means either no samples or watermarked samples, but definitely not providing a reading of a client's provided sample.

c771aa88
Community Member

Hi Clark S,

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. That will really help me a lot in future. Thanks again.

Regards,

Debarati Lahiri

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members