🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Proposed budgets too low
Page options
mariagracia307
Community Member

Proposed budgets too low

Haven’t you feel recently that all the projects are being posted have a ridiculous budget?

I mean I’ve been reviewing my invitations for interviews and there are projects that require at least 40 hours of work and they are will to pay like 80$/100$. What’s going on with the platform?

Even though is cheaper than design firms and stuff, Is not a slave market!!!
2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Mariagracia R wrote:

I mean I’ve been reviewing my invitations for interviews and there are projects that require at least 40 hours of work and they are will to pay like 80$/100$. What’s going on with the platform?

I completely ignore the budget. 

When I am invited, I simply bid what makes it worth my while to accept the job should it be offered.

Recent example: Budget: $ 200

After negotiations: $ 1900

Yes, exactly the same job and scope.

budget.png

offer.png

robin_hyman
Community Member

Mariagracia R wrote:
Haven’t you feel recently that all the projects are being posted have a ridiculous budget?

Even though is cheaper than design firms and stuff, Is not a slave market!!!

Some clients put in an arbitrary budget.  Others don't know how to write a job post and put their hourly budget as the fixed budget.  And yes, there are clients who are low-balling.  

One way to see the client's tolerance for a higher budget is by reviewing previous projects.  If they typically pay $5 per project or $5 per hour, they are looking for freelancers willing to take a low amount.  

Similar to Petra, I recently applied to a job with a total budget of $200 and the description requested 15 pages of landing page content.  In my proposal I indicated my price is $200 PER PAGE.  Now I have an ongoing contract for $200 per page.  

If the project is right for you, apply with your price.  You may be surprised.  Good luck!

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths