🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Quality Upwork jobs getting out of hand?
Page options
f6ed061c
Community Member

Quality Upwork jobs getting out of hand?

The amount of jobs posted on Upwork are absurd these days - so are the applications. Most of these jobs are from new clients on the platform with no reviews and unverified payment methods. 
I think Upwork should funnel down the amounts of these job postings to maintain Upwork's quality of clients and freelancers. I guess this is good for them because I see jobs with 50+ proposals - I assume they're probably trying to make more money from these connects that the jobs itself right now!

Taken in account that we freelancers need to pay for connects to apply for a job, shouldn't these clients do the same? I see a lot of clients with like 10% hire rate it's ridiculous. 

I'm dissappointed and frustrated because although I'm relatively new to Upwork, I've heard many good things about this platform from long time freelancers but I guess these days it has just changed. 

12 REPLIES 12
k_kriikku
Community Member

You said it: it is absurd nowadays! Trying to find jobs and getting recruited is way more expensive now, it takes even 12 or 16 connects to even apply. Today I noticed that it costs connects to have the availability badge on, it's ridiculous! 

And Upwork does nothing about the fact that 90% of the jpb posts are scams. I am very very disappointed. This used to be a great platform, now I just doubt that the reason is just to make money on people who are looking for jobs. 

It is absolutely ridiculous. I see jobs that are paying $10-50 that requires 12-16 connects - how does this even make sense? I used to view Upwork as a platform for viable clients and freelancers to connect but it is now looking like a bargain marketplace. 

When I started here, over 10 years ago on eLance. That platform was very good. After struggling to get a few jobs I managed a couple that were ongoing for years - one to this day! [This client referred me to others!]

Then it became Upwork. For a time it was dreadful, especially with its 20% fee, ELance was about 8 or 9% if my memory is correct.

It took some time, Upwork made adjustments and did something I thought was swell: Freelancers with fewer than three, four or so jobs in a certain length of time were removed. Sure, that seemed "cruel" but that is how life is.

For us in the creative areas, there are so many who think they can suddenly work exclusively as a freelancer. I work in video post-production.

In my family I have three nephews who want to do the video work I do. This reminds me of my younger days in the late 1970s where so many thought buying a 35mm camera, a flash unit and an extra lens or two would make them professional photographers.

As the mentioned family creative "wannabes," this is so common today. The creative market is flooded with these, and will note they do their bidding at the low end, just to get "experience."

Shall we be reminded of the ol' adage: "You get what you pay for."?

In conclusion: I used to get responses at least once in seven or eight proposals. I have not had one in the most-recent 31 submissions. I re-started looking here as two of my current jobs went on hiatus.

That platform was good for you, but floundering so badly that it had to merge to be financially viable.

fred-derf
Community Member

Absurd for certain. 

I will go through the job posts and within I will see the exact same proposal, five, six times a day. Not just one repeated proposal but several different "proposals" that are repeated. I look into these at times only to see a 12% hiring score. Oh, and the previous jobs awarded are mostly in the $20-30 range [not hour, but total for the job].

Also, the scam-type proposals offer "pay raises" based on future YouTube gains, or other criteria, which should be against the rules.

Heh. Gotta laugh at the top line: "Expert" is what is sought then the miniscule offer within the proposal.

Too bad Upwork does not require a fee to post jobs.

That would discourage scammers but at this time I do not see anywhere attempts of the part of Upwork to clean up this nonsense.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Don't you understand that Upwork is the one that puts out these fake job offers? Who else would want to waste their time on something like this, and what would be the benefit? That's why these "offers" are not closed by Upwork for years and keep freelance connections

• Don't you understand that Upwork is the one that puts out these fake job offers? 

This is an idea that has been bantered about for some time. The problem is: can you prove it?

I feel the same frustration so many here have shared.

For Upwork it would be good to start charging those who post job offers. We, the freelancers should not have to waste our time, energy and money. Even with the multitudes of posts checked, and rejected, it's still time taken for which there is no financial compensation.

Yes, I do agree Upwork is benefiting by allowing those repetitive "offers" to permeate this site. I have flagged them as others have. 

It might be a good thing to have on the job posting window a little red flag to let all of us know about it being flagged and why.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

The problem is: can you prove it?

Who else would want to waste their time on something like this, and what would be the benefit?

If you truly believe that you should definitely immediately stop doing business with them and report their criminal activity.

Exactly. I see these $20-30 jobs that requires 12-16 connects - I just cant comprehend this concept. 
I used to view Upwork as a platform for viable clients and freelancers to connect but it is now looking like a bargain marketplace. I hope they recognise this issue and will choose to do something about this. 
There are a bunch of new freelancer platforms - might be a good idea. 

Us Freelancers are now the customers with this business model, Soon it would not surprise me if we have to pay connects just to log in, LOL.

We've always been the customers. Upwork pays a huge amount of money to pull customers into one place for us to connect with. They offer freelancer payment protection. They offer nothing to clients except a place to post a job.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members