🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Question: How much to charge as a Freelancer ...
Page options
5ae932d8
Community Member

Question: How much to charge as a Freelancer for a 10000 word script on Upwork

I recently had a client ask for what he wanted me to charge for a basic script in the criminology genre. I sent him a cover letter and he responded, first asking for work done before and when I provided something related, then he inquired about my pricing.

He needed a script each of around 11000 words so I did some research and offered him the lowest rate I found online for new and beginner freelancers on Upwork (which is $.05 per word). It added up to $550 for 11000 words, but I was ready to give a solid discount too as I have yet to secure a job on Upwork.

But the client told me he was looking for $60 per script, instead.

So I would like to learn more about the pricing structure of Upwork. I want to ask:

1. What is the average price per word on Upwork?
  2. How to deal with this situation?- I really would like to score my first client by now.
  3. Am I charging too much or is it the client that wants to spend too little?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Dear Ata,

Please remember that it is still ok to take small jobs to build your resume on Upwork if the price fits the work. The main issue with this client is that it was a blatant ripoff. Personally, I didn't prefer beginning with smaller tasks because like other freelancers mentioned, it could keep you in a loop that won't allow you to grow. Also, clients willing to pay will likely pick freelancers with higher rates because it reflects their competency and quality. 

Further, from my research, clients who pay very little are likely to be more demanding, adding an extra layer of stress on top of the small amount of money they offer. Having high-quality clients is a game changer; they let you do your thing and aren't afraid about the money, but they expect something of high standards from you in return. I am also hungry to grow on this platform, but I have turned down several clients because of their attitude and approach. 

Again, there isn't a right or wrong approach here. Because people have different experiences, what works for some might not work for others and visa-versa. It's a journey and a learning process. Also, as you mentioned, we are lucky to have a great and supportive community here. 

Finally, you have the rising talent badge many crave here, haha. So, this should also give you the advantage. Check the courses and tutorials in the academy as I found them extremely helpful and answer most of the questions that some people here ask regularly.

You've got this Ata! We look forward to hearing from you when you land your first job.

😁👍    

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
bbdebb52
Community Member

Hi Ata,

And welcome to the community. This client is looking for something cheap, so I highly recommend avoiding such clients despite wanting to secure your first job here. The more you look, the more you will learn to distinguish between high-quality clients and those who are looking for cheap labour and taking advantage of others. Read some of the stories here, and you will see how many new Freelancers get scammed because of this. 

You did a good job by researching the market price and requesting a reasonable amount of money. Despite wanting to secure something quite fast, if you keep looking, it will come. I managed to secure £2.5k in weeks using this strategy. Otherwise, if I relied on low-quality clients, I would have waited for years to reach half this amount. Don't underestimate your worth, and find someone who would appreciate the quality you could bring to them.

Thanks for the prompt read and reply Bashar. I am from a third world country so even $60 in the current economic conditions here looks tantalizing, and can feed my family.

That being said I will be more careful with picking the right clients, next time. But there isn't a label on anyone's head that he is genuine and beginners already have it tough here.

As for scamming I nearly fell for a trap initially. I received a proposal response for a promenade theater group that wanted to link their work with gaming. They immediately asked for my discord, which was a red line and against the rules, but I did not know it by then. It cost me one strike on my reputation and reputation is your currency here. They also asked for work and I did some for them.

Needless to say, I was frustrated but things did not go ahead since in-between I read the rules and then recieved a message from upwork that some rules were broken.

yofazza
Community Member

I am from a third world country so even $60 in the current economic conditions here looks tantalizing, and can feed my family.

I'm from a similar country. It's great to get paid $60 to write 10k words (based on the average typing speed) but you're not just typing mindlessly, or copy-pasting from some AI, right?

I think you need to think about how much time will be needed to complete the project and see again if $60 is really "okay".

bobafett999
Community Member

In general if you go for dirt cheap jobs, you will always swim in that pond (you will never be able to receive high paying gigs)That pond is infested with cheapos and scamming buyers.

And they will told you..you are charging very high and don't have any idea how much work is there

one client offer me 10k stencils for $250 I give calculation and cost and how much it takes time...still they are like we need as soon as possible in this rate 😅 and they said my charge is too much high

Some would have a particular price they want to pay for a job, for example 500$ and put it in the posting at first, but instead of paying that, they will start searching through freelancer profiles and looking at what they have been earning, then if they find a "cheap" one, they jump into the inbox offering 300$ with hopes of cheating the freelancer, same work load and all but very low pricing, if the freelancer isn't smart to have spotted the price change, they might go ahead with the project when they should make much more and the cycle continues for that freelancer. Always refuse unreasonable prices no matter what.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Ata A.

Upwork is a difficult place to find reasonably priced projects if you don't already have experience providing the same services in the "real" world. There is no way of knowing what the pay rates of existing freelancers providing services like you are on Upwork. I doubt there's even a useful average because the numbers would be across a broad range.

If you are happy to receive $60 for this work just to get your foot in the door on Upwork, go for it. Your biggest risk is that this client is not only cheap (and doesn't know or isn't willing to pay a "reasonable" amount to you), but also will have high demands once the project starts and will even increase your workload without offering to pay you more. (Prepare yourself to stand your ground if this happens. Don't refund any earned money if the client threatens you in any way. And keep a record of your conversations in the job's Upwork message board. Some clients are dumb enough to include their threats and cajoling in writing. Do your best to make all your difficult clients do that.)

If this project goes well, don't be afraid to charge more on your next few projects and quickly increase your required pay rate to what you think it should be, telling future potential clients that you did your first project or two at a minimal rate just to get your initial jobs, considering that Upwork is so competitive in your area of specialty.

By the way, when I first started working on Upwork I charged about 80% less than I currently charge just to get my first wins with proposals. That didn't last long, but it got my foot in the door with client ratings that made a difference to potential new clients - success bred further success. It is probably even harder today thn when I started to win your first few projects.

If your current approach to proposals isn't winning you your first projects, you can keep soldiering on doing the same thing hoping for the best. Or you can test doing something new. Adjusting your pricing is an option. If others here can think of other useful changes you can test out, they should tell you what those changes are.

Good luck!

the-right-writer
Community Member

As you know, the fee is ridiculously low. I understand giving a discount when you are new and unproven on the site. It doesn't matter what you bring, clients want to see Upwork jobs. Most people will lower their fee initially until they have a few jobs. However, there is an enormous difference between a discount, and dirt cheap. 

I'm well aware that everything is relevant, including money. What $60 means in the U.S. is different in all other countries. Upwork is a worldwide platform, using the U.S. dollar. Freelancers need to charge for their skills and capabilities, regardless of their location.

No one should ever give away work, even if they are desperate. It never pays, literally or figuratively. If a client asks for free work, it is against the Terms of Service and should be reported to Upwork.

There aren't any figures on averages. There are jobs for less than a penny to twenty cents per word. The latter is extremely rare. Also, it depends on the type of writing. Academic writing is more expensive than copywriting. You need to set a fee that will not just give you some immediate money, but pay for all of your expenses. Most people have multiple bills for access, subscriptions, connects, etc. and it's important to look at all costs.

Prashant phrased it well. If you start with extremely low fees, you will end up locked into that range. Sometimes, people will receive such little money, they would be better off working locally. Also, charging less than average, says you are desperate. While you may indeed be desperate, you never want the client to know, because they tend to run away.

The client is offering far too little, and they know it. Another issue with dirt cheap clients is problems. The ones who are happy to pay dirt, are not going to turn into good clients after the contract. There are all sorts of variations on scammers, but they target the new and inexperienced. I believe you should not accept the job. By the way, was this an invitation? If so, then I definitely would not do it. It smells of scam.

Only you can decide what to do. People have posted great comments, and are trying to help, but it is your decision. Consider this: if you are desperate to the point of having to take any job available, freelancing is not going to work. You might make a little money, but if you want to support your family into the future, you must present a professional image from the beginning. The truth is, most people never make any money here - but they never make an effort. The ones who earn, usually make some extra money. There are freelancers who make their living here, but they are few and far between. I suggest thinking of typical discounts. 10% or 20% is a discount. If it's 50% or more, it's a definite desperate act, or such an untalented person they know they have to accept dirt cheap jobs.

Read this excellent post by Wes on the Red Flags on Scams. It will help you navigate through the scams on the platform. Good for you to bring your concerns to the community. If you have concerns or questions, please post again.

I love how you described the difference between a discount and dirt cheap, Jeanne. In this case, the rate went from $550, which is already a low rate, to $60, meaning a 90% decrease from the original price. I feel this is very disrespectful to a freelancer and also means that the client might take advantage by asking for more demands after he senses desperation. It's actually great the community here cares and supports one another 😊     

Exactly doing cheap work for clients never leads anywhere great, only cheaper work. So always good to set the tone of the cooperation from the beginning to be fair otherwise they begin to devalue you.

5ae932d8
Community Member

Wow. This is a wonderful community here at Upwork. When these types of situations arive, honest and genuine people like us start questioning ourselves rather than thinking critically of the client who is setting up a paltry price of $60 in this case. I was in that phase when I posted here, but thanks to the response I have gotten here I may be a better freelancer for it. And I know how to avoid scams and exploitation now.

I think it factors in that it is not easy to secure your first bid on Upwork and this contributes to freelancers accepting overly discriminatory/predatory pricing, just to start up their career. If we knew freelancing is so complex we would have given more attention to finding a proper job though, despite how ridiculously low salaries may be in our countries.

Thanks everyone.

You can get good work on Upwork too, just estimate how long a certain job would take you in comparison to what the client is offering, if it's un reasonable, there's no need doing that because you would run into losses, 60$ is good for your country, but remember you don't get 60$ exactly, Upwork fees, you need to still buy connects and then you'll spend loads of time on that single job for the client that doesn't value your time ...

Even 5000$ can be low pay, if the scope of the work is far beyond that, so it's not about the amount, the work being asked for is well above the price and the client knows this very well and would be approaching new freelancers who would be most desperate and gullible. All the best

Dear Ata,

Please remember that it is still ok to take small jobs to build your resume on Upwork if the price fits the work. The main issue with this client is that it was a blatant ripoff. Personally, I didn't prefer beginning with smaller tasks because like other freelancers mentioned, it could keep you in a loop that won't allow you to grow. Also, clients willing to pay will likely pick freelancers with higher rates because it reflects their competency and quality. 

Further, from my research, clients who pay very little are likely to be more demanding, adding an extra layer of stress on top of the small amount of money they offer. Having high-quality clients is a game changer; they let you do your thing and aren't afraid about the money, but they expect something of high standards from you in return. I am also hungry to grow on this platform, but I have turned down several clients because of their attitude and approach. 

Again, there isn't a right or wrong approach here. Because people have different experiences, what works for some might not work for others and visa-versa. It's a journey and a learning process. Also, as you mentioned, we are lucky to have a great and supportive community here. 

Finally, you have the rising talent badge many crave here, haha. So, this should also give you the advantage. Check the courses and tutorials in the academy as I found them extremely helpful and answer most of the questions that some people here ask regularly.

You've got this Ata! We look forward to hearing from you when you land your first job.

😁👍    

That's fine with that, will respond as soon as possible
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members