🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Quick Help
Page options
edesignmk
Community Member

Quick Help

A client is requesting to sign a NDA pdf document, but he is asking for these details:
Street City/State Country Zip/Postal Code
Does this sound weird? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

I don’t think it sounds very weird.

I have signed a LOT of NDAs while working as a freelancer on Upwork.

It is very rare that I have ever been asked to provide address.

Don’t worry so much about this.

If you don’t want to provide the physical address of the place where you sleep each night, you don’t need to do so. You can provide a PO box. You can provide an office address. You can provide a commercial address service. There are many ways that you can still provide a physical address - street address, city, state, postal code. Or provide the address for the local post office. This is still a legitimate street address, city, state, and postal code. And in the unlikely event that somebody mails you something using that address, the mail will still reach you.

But as a practical matter… the person asking you to sign this NDA is not going to visit you in person at your house, and he is not going to mail you anything. He was simply told by somebody in the legal dept. to ask freelancers to sign NDAs, or he read somewhere that he should do so. He probably didn’t write the NDA. He probably hasn’t read it. It is simply a hoop to jump through.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
pgiambalvo
Community Member

Not really. Bu make sure the NDA goes back and forth through UW and not outside of it. It's not unusual for NDAs to include that kind of info. Still be careful and trust your gut. If something smells fishy, it probably is. Always best to err on the side of caution lest you get scammed, because boy, the scammers are here in force lately. And if you haven't already, please read the ToS and strictly adhere to it for your own and everyone else's protection.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I don’t think it sounds very weird.

I have signed a LOT of NDAs while working as a freelancer on Upwork.

It is very rare that I have ever been asked to provide address.

Don’t worry so much about this.

If you don’t want to provide the physical address of the place where you sleep each night, you don’t need to do so. You can provide a PO box. You can provide an office address. You can provide a commercial address service. There are many ways that you can still provide a physical address - street address, city, state, postal code. Or provide the address for the local post office. This is still a legitimate street address, city, state, and postal code. And in the unlikely event that somebody mails you something using that address, the mail will still reach you.

But as a practical matter… the person asking you to sign this NDA is not going to visit you in person at your house, and he is not going to mail you anything. He was simply told by somebody in the legal dept. to ask freelancers to sign NDAs, or he read somewhere that he should do so. He probably didn’t write the NDA. He probably hasn’t read it. It is simply a hoop to jump through.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members