🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » ** RECRUIT
Page options
elodiedlx
Community Member

** RECRUIT

Hi everyone,

I have applied to an offer that is no longer available on the platform.
I have been contacted through whatsapp.
the offer is to translate from english to my mother language.

the thing is, I need to pay insurance fee before the beginning of the contract.
do you think this is reliable? does anyone has been contacted by the same company?  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

thank you for your answers

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
2a05aa63
Community Member

Don't pay anything. It's scam.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
2a05aa63
Community Member

Don't pay anything. It's scam.

thank you. that's what I was thinking.

jr-translation
Community Member

Elodie D wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have applied to an offer that is no longer available on the platform.
I have been contacted through whatsapp.
the offer is to translate from english to my mother language.

the thing is, I need to pay insurance fee before the beginning of the contract.
do you think this is reliable? does anyone has been contacted by the same company?  **Edited for Community Guidelines**

thank you for your answers

How could they message you through Whatsapp?

Hi,
He sent me an email and asked me to contact him on WhatsApp

re: "He sent me an email and asked me to contact him on WhatsApp"

You aren't allowed to do that.

I'm pretty sure nothing will happen to you this time, because you are new.

But for future reference:

That is a violation of Upwork TOS. Upwork users can be suspended or otherwise sanctioned for that.

Okay, sorry I didn’t know.
I’ll know and don’t do again in the future

Elodie D wrote:
Okay, sorry I didn’t know.
I’ll know and don’t do again in the future

That will keep you safe from scammers. That's what the regulation is for. 

The same thing is happening to me. Contacted me via whatsapp and asked me to pay 100$ insurance fee before starting the job.

Maria Carolina P wrote:
The same thing is happening to me. Contacted me via whatsapp and asked me to pay 100$ insurance fee before starting the job.

Part of the reason why you are strictly forbidden to communicate with Upwork clients outside the platform before a contract is in place is so you can be protected from scams like that (and don't get suspended for violating the terms of service....)

Hi Maria,

Could you please click on my name and send me a PM with more information about the client you are referring to? I will be sure to look into your report and escalate it accordingly.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Can you help with purchasing? Affordable price

3a64fbb7
Community Member

Hi! I've been contacted by them on Whatsapp 🙂

Hi Ha,

I checked the job you are referring to and it looks like it's already been canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the client has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Also, please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi! Alek

Thank you so much for your reply, Cause I'm actually new to Upwork so I didn't know much about tips and inappropriate content.

Thank you!

Hello Ha,

You're quite welcome! As you're new to Upwork, I can suggest checking out this thread to help you get started. You can also visit our Resource Center and sign up for upcoming events and webinars to learn more about how you can boost your success on Upwork.

I hope this helps and good luck!

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi,

i think you can delete this one too !

regards 

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Your going to have to flag the job so it will be taken down.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Elodie, 

I have reported this job post to the team. In the future, please don't hesitate to report suspicious user activity by following the steps here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
_mayank_mishra_
Community Member

Same, I got a message from them and now they are asking for insurance fee. I think this is scam!

Also, I have a question. Sometimes some of the clients ask for my personal mail id. Should I give them my mail id or not?

Mayank M wrote:

Also, I have a question. Sometimes some of the clients ask for my personal mail id. Should I give them my mail id or not?

If you are already officially hired with a contract on Upwork, you are allowed communicatee with clients any way you like.

If you are NOT yet officially hired with a contract on Upwork, you violate Upwork's terms of service if you do so and could get banned.

Mayank M wrote:

Same, I got a message from them and now they are asking for insurance fee. I think this is scam!

Yes, of course it's a scam

Got it. Thanks for the prompt reply!

205cb8e9
Community Member

Can you help with purchasing? Affordable price

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members