🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Rating scales that clients use
Page options
miketlk
Community Member

Rating scales that clients use

On a recent contract, I got all 4-star ratings from a client, which was a complete surprise to me, as everything was going well. I understand that the quality of work can have a subjective judgment. But I couldn’t understand why my availability was rated weak, given that I always responded to messages immediately, including weekends and even in the middle of the night when I saw a new message on my smartphone.

I asked the client what I could fix or add or otherwise rectify the situation, as it is my top priority to provide the best quality service possible. I received the response that he was completely satisfied, and 4 is just his baseline rating, which he always uses. The evidence that the client is satisfied could be that we have started a new contract, this time with the agency I manage.

Of course, clients should be completely free to rate a freelancer’s work and express their experience in feedback. But perhaps Upwork could let them know the importance of a rating affecting freelancer’s ability to be hired, as well as respecting Upwork’s rating scale. After all, rating professional services is not the same as rating a restaurant. It would be great if, for everyone, five stars were a sign of fully meeting reasonable expectations and an entirely successful project, rather than something exclusive or luxurious.

Because of this recent rating, my JSS dropped from 100% to 89%, I lost my hard-earned Top Rated status, and my agency lost Rising Talent status too (which then regained). I don’t expect anything to change in my situation. But I believe a better understanding of the raring system by the clients, especially inexperienced ones, would help making Upwork a friendlier place and improve the balance between the interests of customers and contractors.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Could you please share your thoughts on what could be the reason?"

Star average feedback has minimal impact on JSS.

Private feedback is the principle factor.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
martina_plaschka
Community Member

I don't see a 4 star rating on your profile. What made it disappear?

Yes it's annoying that the client does not believe anybody deserves 5 stars, that seems not right. I believe clients know very well how important feedback is for freelancers. I had even a few clients who were very concious about the feedback they received from me. Maybe checking the clients prior feedback would have given you an indication about this practise. 

Martina, thank you for the advice and support.

That is right the client has changed the public rating after I asked if anything I could improve or add so he would be fully happy with the project. But as I understand the public rating does not affect JSS, only the private one. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I received the response that he was completely satisfied, and 4 is just his baseline rating, which he always uses."

I believe this client was using the system as intended.

I believe that most clients use the system incorrectly.

I strongly recommend that you embrace this all-4 rating. I would.

And I would not hesitate to work for that client again.

re: "Because of this recent rating, my JSS dropped from 100% to 89%, I lost my hard-earned Top Rated status, and my agency lost Rising Talent status too (which then regained)."

I don't believe this is what happened.

Star averages are not the primary factor in calculating JSS.

Your JSS dropped, but not because this client gave you 4 stars instead of 5.

re: "But I believe a better understanding of the raring system by the clients, especially inexperienced ones, would help making Upwork a friendlier place and improve the balance between the interests of customers and contractors."

I agree.

I believe that Upwork should have more aggressive, more prevalent messaging and imagery that dissuades the use of all-5 scoring. A more thoughtful, more accurate approach to feedback scores should be presented and modeled.

Preston, thanks for the feedback. I do agree that the 5-star rating should be used consciously, representing an objective judgment basing on reasonable expectations. "To not disappoint the good guy who tried so hard" is not an objective judgment and not a fair reason for 5 stars. But "He did the job professionally, as specified and in time" is.

re: "I don't believe this is what happened.

Star averages are not the primary factor in calculating JSS.

Your JSS dropped, but not because this client gave you 4 stars instead of 5."

Could you please share your thoughts on what could be the reason?

re: "Could you please share your thoughts on what could be the reason?"

Star average feedback has minimal impact on JSS.

Private feedback is the principle factor.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members