🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Referring Freelancers
Page options
elizabeth-nss
Community Member

Referring Freelancers

I'm basically new to Upwork, when I get invites Upwork gives the option to refer a friend. I try setting up an agency to invite members to refer to these invites I get on a weekly basis but a payment is required which I cannot afford, does anyone know of an easier way to get in touch with new freelancers to refer. thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elizabeth,

As others have noted on this thread having an agency isn't necessary in order to use the referral feature. If you know someone you'd like to refer, you can include their profile link and send the referral. Otherwise, you will also have the option to search for a freelancer if you’d like to do so — or you can choose not to refer anyone.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
researchediting
Community Member

Elizabeth N wrote:

I'm basically new to Upwork, when I get invites Upwork gives the option to refer a friend. I try setting up an agency to invite members to refer to these invites I get on a weekly basis but a payment is required which I cannot afford, does anyone know of an easier way to get in touch with new freelancers to refer. thanks!

That is not the purpose of referrals. It's not about friends, or meeting or recommending new freelancers. It's about knowing that while you may not be the best match for the job, you know another working professional, the quality of whose work you can vouch for.

02d3e798
Community Member

Its been set up so as you work with other people on here whose work you like you can refer them rather than people not on the platform. 

Not at all, the agency was just to be able to notify new freelancers of an invite and refer them if they qualify to help with their profile. I probably get 1 or 2 invites a week, I cant guarantee they'll actually get the job.

That really isn't how it works.

You can't "alert" others to an invite you receive. You can only, as was explained, suggest another freelancer (one you know is suitable and competent) to the client if you are not interested. What the client does with that referral is up to the client.

The system is not designed to "help newbies with their profile", but basically as a way for freelancers to say "Thanks for the invite, I can't help but here is someone I know who can"

Petra R wrote:

That really isn't how it works.

You can't "alert" others to an invite you receive. You can only, as was explained, suggest another freelancer (one you know is suitable and competent) to the client if you are not interested. What the client does with that referral is up to the client.

The system is not designed to "help newbies with their profile", but basically as a way for freelancers to say "Thanks for the invite, I can't help but here is someone I know who can"

Another thing scammers will jump on. This functionality really was not needed, it was always possible to send a potential client a link to another freelancers profile. 

Elizabeth N wrote:

I probably get 1 or 2 invites a week

You've had 10 in the last 3 months.

If you want to do the work, accept the invite.

If you don't want the work and don't know someone (properly, well enough to know they can do a great job), just decline.

If you don't want the work and you DO know someone well enough to know they'll do a great job, use the referral function.

Hi Elizabeth,

As others have noted on this thread having an agency isn't necessary in order to use the referral feature. If you know someone you'd like to refer, you can include their profile link and send the referral. Otherwise, you will also have the option to search for a freelancer if you’d like to do so — or you can choose not to refer anyone.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you sir, how do I search for freelancers with a freelancer account.

Elizabeth N wrote:

how do I search for freelancers with a freelancer account.

Why do you want to do that? 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Elizabeth N wrote:

What is the point of referring strangers you know nothing about? What is your benefit in doing that?

mustufa018
Community Member

Kindly refer me if any job

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members