🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Refund affecting JSS
Page options
rahulbadenkal
Community Member

Refund affecting JSS

Hi,
For my last hourly contract, I had billed the client some amount for an hours worth of work and after our discussions, I have refunded the amount on mutual agreement.
But after the refund, I see that my jss has dropped to 97% from 100% but no new feedback has been added by any client. Why has that happened? Do refunds cause a decrease in jss?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rahul B wrote:

Also, all my other (closed) contracts are more than 10 days old (all with good ratings)

The last time the JSS was calculated was on Sunday the 9th. Whatever happened that dropped your JSS will have happened between the 26th of December and the 9th of January.

2 contracts closed in that 2-week period. One of them clearly came with not totally enthusiastic private feedback. Public feedback (stars) is irrelevant.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PradeepH

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your message. No, the refund alone won't cause the decrease in JSS. A freelancer’s Job Success score is a measure of their work and reputation on Upwork based on client feedback and indicators of client satisfaction. It includes their public and private feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. You can read more about the positive and negative indicators that make up your score here

Any score at 90% or above is excellent, and puts you on track to earn Top Rated status. We encourage you to worry less about minor changes in your score, and instead focus on your overall work quality.

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Rahul B wrote:

For my last hourly contract, I had billed the client some amount for an hours worth of work and after our discussions, I have refunded the amount on mutual agreement.

Was that contract subsequently closed?

If so, remember that contracts that didn't lead to any earnings won't show on your profile, but the private feedback left by the client can still affect your JSS.

rahulbadenkal
Community Member

No, the contract is still open and from what I know the client can't give feedback unless the contract is over.
Also, all my other (closed) contracts are more than 10 days old (all with good ratings), so I am a bit confused when I see my JSS dropping for no apparent reason. And it happened right after I initiated a refund (a couple of days), which is making me suspect the criteria based on which they calculate JSS.

Any way to know what caused my JSS to drop. Just want to know so that I can be careful not to repeat that (if there is indeed some fault from my side). Wish upwork was more transparent about it.

Rahul B wrote:

Also, all my other (closed) contracts are more than 10 days old (all with good ratings)

The last time the JSS was calculated was on Sunday the 9th. Whatever happened that dropped your JSS will have happened between the 26th of December and the 9th of January.

2 contracts closed in that 2-week period. One of them clearly came with not totally enthusiastic private feedback. Public feedback (stars) is irrelevant.

rahulbadenkal
Community Member

Oh,
Thanks for drilling down into the matter!
Not sure what went wrong and with which of one of those clients but I guess what's done is done.
Also about your comment: "Public feedback (stars) is irrelevant." -> Is public feedback not considered at all while calculating JSS? If not then whats the point of even having it?

Rahul B wrote:

... then whats the point of even having it?

It looks pretty.

The *average* on Upwork is 4.9 stars...

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members