cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reward your longterm freelancers, Upwork.

Ace Contributor
Carl B Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
21 of 51

I definitely get the motives behind the changes coming up. It makes sense. I'm not contesting those changes. I can adapt and won't be going anywhere.

The 13.6% figure is based on the majority of my projects that surpass $500.01. If I have a project that is $1400 total, like most freelancers on here, I require a deposit, which usually surpasses the $500 figure, so that gets a 20% notch, and then the final payment gets another 10% notch when we are done. I know this is my way so I have to deal with it, but it's almost unavoidable, not unless I don't charge a deposit, which is not an option.

Ace Contributor
22 of 51

Based on the total amount of each project will determine Upworks cut in the end. The higher the costs, the bigger the fee amount is.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
23 of 51

Carl B wrote:

Yes, Upwork doesn't necessarily make any money on the connection costs, which is not my focus with this. Premium Membership costs are going up $5 per freelancer, and I can assume client costs are going up too. Along with that increase, Upwork makes 13.6% off of my projects over $500 and under $10K, which is almost all of them. That is a lot of money from just me.

Maybe reward long-term freelancers, still in good standings with Upwork, by only taking a flat 10% fee up to $10K total earnings? Don't take that gargantuan 20% chunk in the beginning as a way to pat us on the head and say thank you for your commitment over the years. That could also increase the volume of work the freelancers will take on, therefore possibly increasing even more revenue for Upwork.

Are you saying that you or other FLs turn down work that they would accept if the fee was lower? I'm not buying that.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 51

Carl B wrote:
I am not saying Upwork needs to pay these freelancers a bonus, but more of a prorate, discount or fee reduction as a smooth way to soften the blow with this new connections system, and member cost increase.

Top rated freelancers get some extra connects I think.

Carl B wrote:
I have heard many freelancers are leaving/contemplating leaving Upwork due to these changes. Commitment and long term relationships are what keep most of us afloat, so maybe Upwork should go the extra mile and recognize the long term freelancers in some way to say thank you, therefore keeping as many freelancers as possible.

Considering that Upwork has **WAY** too many freelancers, losing freelancers is not a problem.

Keeping as many freelancers as possible would not be a wise aim. The freelancers Upwork would want to keep most are probably the ones that aren't, on average, significantly affected by this change.

Ace Contributor
25 of 51

I can see from that perspective too, yet I do not agree with that approach as it still side steps from my main comment about long-term freelancers, who are here, and still here because they can adapt. You are right. Weeding out the ones that cannot conform to the change may be best, but is it? why not still do something extra for that small chunk during the big changes happening. Not asking for money/discounts here, extra connections would be golden.

Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
26 of 51

Rewarding long term freelancers doesn't make any sense to me. If anything they should rather award the ones who has paid the most in fees during the last year or so. Just because you have been here for years doesn't mean you are making Upwork more money than a newer freelancer, and after all making money is the only thing Upwork cares about in the end, as they should.

Not that I think freelancers need any reward in it self anyway. My reward is that I get to work when I want, from where I want, and I can charge clients what I want. Upwork helps me do that by providing leads for new clients, fix all the payment stuff and give me payment protection. If anything I should give Upwork an award. 

27 of 51

Objectively speaking...

I think Upwork should reward freelancers whose first name starts with the letter "P", and whose last name starts with the letter "H."

Ace Contributor
28 of 51

So you're saying the long-term, committed and loyal freelancers and clients who have not worked for 5+ years on the same platform(s) are being objectified because of my recommendation?

Upwork can show some appreciation back to the "tenured" professionals who have helped pave the way for Upworks success. A $5 monthly increase per freelancer is a massive increase. Multiply that by XXXXXXX amount of premium freelancers, plus all project fees Upwork receives already...you're welcome, Upwork.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 51

Carl B wrote:

A $5 monthly increase per freelancer is a massive increase.

You what???

If it is such a "massive increase" then frankly, to be fair, the LAST people who should have special consideration are the high earners, whom it hits by far the least. I am sorry but $ 5 more or less a month means beep all to me. I would suggest it means beep all to you too.

So the people to whom it DOES mean something should be the ones who should get anything extra, if anyone. Not those who are already doing very well.

Also, you are aware that to date, Upwork has not made a profit, ever, yet?

If we all want this gravy train to keep going, it needs to become profitable sooner or later.

Carl B wrote:

Just making a suggestion in the freelancers favor...nothing to see here. Move along.

You are making a suggestion in favour of the already privileged freelancers...

Ace Contributor
30 of 51

I have rewarded oDesk, Elance and Upwork over the years with the variable fees implied for the projects I have built. And the consistant, positive recommendations I make to others about Upwork. Don't get me wrong, I am not sour or upset with Upwork. As a long-term, seasoned, and experieced freelancer, I thought to make a suggestion that others are thinking, but don't want to voice.

It works both ways here...without freelancers and clients seeking those freelancers, Upwork doesnt survive. Without Upwork, freelancers and clients would have to depend on word of mouth references and advertising to get work done - Lots more work involved. 

All I was saying is why not show a little extra love to the ones who've helped Upwork become what Upwork is from before the launch of Upwork. Voicing my comments and suggestions on this platform so others could read it was important. Long-term, consistant relationships are valuable elements when trying to thrive in todays, yesterdays and tomorrows market, so why not ensure the longevity of those relationships with a once in a while "thank you" from Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS