🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Right to choose between public and private ea...
Page options
__nikola__
Community Member

Right to choose between public and private earnings in Basic membership

As far as I can remember there was a totaly free option to show/hide earnings. Today I checked and it looks like freelancers need to pay 15$ per month for that??

On Elance it was for free, on Upwork it was for free and I don't see a reason why this option wouldn't still be free.

It is just one data which somebody wants to share with others and somebody else doesn't.

Please, let's vote for moving this option back to Basic membership. It wouldn't cost Upwork anything, but it could mean much to freelancers.

Thanks in advance

16 REPLIES 16
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nikola,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I'll be sure to share it with our team. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

I haven’t been here as long as some people but I don’t think it’s been free. It’s been a paid option for as long as I’ve been here anyway.

I have been here for six years. As long as I can remember, there was NOT an option to hide earnings, and then the option was introduced but it was always limited to those with paid memberships.

I can guarantee you that Upwork believes that NOT HIDING earnings leads individual freelancers to be more profitable, and it leads Upwork as a whole to be more profitable.

Obviously Upwork COULD hide earnings for everybody if it wanted to, and it COULD make this a free option if it wanted to. By making it a paid-only option, Upwork is intentionally discouraging people from hiding their earnings.

petra_r
Community Member

Nikola wrote:

As far as I can remember there was a totaly free option to show/hide earnings.

It has never been free on Upwork, or oDesk. 

The reaso why it isn't free is because it leads to lower earnings so it's obviously not in Upwork's interest to reduce their revenue.

Nikola T wrote:

It wouldn't cost Upwork anything

It does cost Upwork in lost revenue because such freelancers earn less and get hired less.

Please, let's vote....

You do understand that this is not how it works, right?

It has never been free on Upwork, or oDesk. 

This is not correct, at least for users who came from Elance to Upwork. This is the message I received in July 2015.:

"When you copied your Elance account to Upwork, we provided you with an option to hide your earnings. Our research has shown that displaying freelancer earnings helps freelancers win more contracts and more quickly grow their earnings, and as a result, we do not have plans to make this setting available in the future.

Starting July 20th, this functionality will no longer be available on Upwork and your earnings will be visible on your profile page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please contact Customer Support for any questions or concerns regarding this change."

I don't think that making earnings public is the most important thing which leads to more jobs and bigger earnings. I believe that number of finished jobs, hours of work and feedback are important things which make real difference.

If it leads to lower earnings then freelancers simply won't hide their earnings. Every freelancer here wants to grow, to make more money. There is just a small number of us who already has or may have some incoveniencies because of this option. That small number is insignificant for Upwork's revenue.

You do understand that this is not how it works, right?

Of course I do, but I also wouldn't understand if Upwork wouldn't want to listen to it's users wishes, because those users make Upwork's revenue by their own hard work.

This is just one insignificant little change which might mean a lot for a small number of freelances. I would really like this to be reconsidered.

Nikola T wrote:

....I don't think that making earnings public is the most important thing which leads to more jobs and bigger earnings. I believe that number of finished jobs, hours of work and feedback are important things which make real difference.

If it leads to lower earnings then freelancers simply won't hide their earnings. Every freelancer here wants to grow, to make more money. There is just a small number of us who already has or may have some incoveniencies because of this option. That small number is insignificant for Upwork's revenue.

And how, exactly, do you know that Upwork is lying about the significance of this documented revenue difference? How, exactly, do you know what percentage of revenue is significant to a company that has yet to show a profit?

....I also wouldn't understand if Upwork wouldn't want to listen to it's users wishes, because those users make Upwork's revenue by their own hard work.

This is just one insignificant little change which might mean a lot for a small number of freelances. I would really like this to be reconsidered.

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride. Upwork does, occasionally, listen to its users' wishes. Not when those users are arguing their "beliefs" against Upwork's numbers. Those of us who show our earnings also work hard, and make revenue for Upwork. And according to Upwork, we make more.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Nikola T wrote:

As far as I can remember there was a totaly free option to show/hide earnings. Today I checked and it looks like freelancers need to pay 15$ per month for that??

On Elance it was for free, on Upwork it was for free and I don't see a reason why this option wouldn't still be free.

It is just one data which somebody wants to share with others and somebody else doesn't.

Please, let's vote for moving this option back to Basic membership. It wouldn't cost Upwork anything, but it could mean much to freelancers.

Thanks in advance

Just curious, because I never understood it, what benefit to you gain from hiding your earnings?

I don't see it as a benefit, I simply feel more comfortable keeping this one piece of data private. There are things like feedback, portfolio, number of jobs and number of hours which describe our services and proficiency very well.
But your question and other's thoughts can lead to conclusion that this option would be used by just a tiny number of freelancers.
That's why, by giving us the right to choose, Upwork won't be harmed and some of us will be more satisfied with the service.

Nikola T wrote:

That's why, by giving us the right to choose, 

You already have the right to choose.  After years of saying "No" - Upwork let people choose to hide their earnings under the Plus plan.

I don't know what Nikola's reasons are, but...

From what I've seen, the vast majority of people who hide their true earnings (such as hourly rates on previous jobs) tend to have a profile rate considerably higher than the actual rate in past jobs. (A little digging will reveal that in many cases).

A cynic might think they're being deceitful.

Again - not directed at Nikola. Just a general observation. 

After years of saying "No" - Upwork let people choose to hide their earnings under the Plus plan.

Not true, again. As I pointed out earlier, paid option exists from as long as I have been a member, and that's from 2015.

For a short period before that it was free, and the message I published proves that. I am just saying that there is vary small number of freelancers who would really apreciate that option in basic membership.

I just hope somebody competent for user relations and upgrading of services will find this conversation useful.

Nikola T wrote:

After years of saying "No" - Upwork let people choose to hide their earnings under the Plus plan.

Not true, again. As I pointed out earlier, paid option exists from as long as I have been a member, and that's from 2015.

Look, Upwork was oDesk and just gobbled Elance up when that went under. On oDesk and Upwork, for normal members, not ex-Elancers, it was either not possible (for years) or a paid-only option.

You have the "right to choose" already. Excercise it or not. Your choice.

Nikola T wrote:

For a short period before that it was free, and the message I published proves that. I am just saying that there is vary small number of freelancers who would really apreciate that option in basic membership.

You are leaning rather hard on a communication that very clearly was a temporary accommodation for those of us who came from Elance. And the thrust of that communication was: We don't do this.

Nikola T wrote:

I don't see it as a benefit, I simply feel more comfortable keeping this one piece of data private. There are things like feedback, portfolio, number of jobs and number of hours which describe our services and proficiency very well.

You know that when you apply to jobs, clients can see your past earnings even if they're set to private? There's no option to hide them completely, whether paid or not.

JamieF

I am not talking about hourly rates I am talking just about total sum of earnings.

Christine A wrote:

You know that when you apply to jobs, clients can see your past earnings even if they're set to private? There's no option to hide them completely, whether paid or not.

Oh, I didn't know that.

Martina P wrote:

Just curious, because I never understood it, what benefit to you gain from hiding your earnings?

There seem to be some people who are just very private and feel like it's an intrusion. Generally, though, it seems like the hiders fall into one of two categories: those hiding income for some reason (not reporting to the IRS, underpaying child support, etc.) and those lying about their rates. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members