🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » STOP the scam job "+20 languages"
Page options
debi-f
Community Member

STOP the scam job "+20 languages"

Upwork

For the last 1–2 years there is the same SCAM JOB ("translation to +20 languages") posted from different countries (Pakistan, Kenya, UK, Philippines, Egypt, India, etc.) at least 10-20 times each day.

I understand that your business is selling connects, but not solving it after 1 -2 years is really not respectful to freelancers and real clients. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_foss
Community Member

Upwork won't solve it, for the simple reason this kind of scam has become an integral part of their business. Because as you said, selling connects is their business now, not providing freelancers with jobs. Though it be madness yet there is method in't.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
the-right-writer
Community Member

Wow, after all this time, you still think there is a chance for respect from Upwork? Your optimism is impressive, but I can't duplicate it.

I think most would agree, that if the scam remains, there is a reason.

So, the solution is to remain silent? 

At least, if we publish it, some new freelancers will not send proposals.

That is the only solution: no to apply. 

Deborah, you are right, the solution is not to remain silent. However, I'm amazed to see that freelancers still apply to these jobs. Right now, there are a few 4 such jobs in the translation section:

. one job posted 30 minutes ago, 3 proposals

. one job posted 2 hours ago, 19 proposals

. one job posted 5 hours ago, 11 proposals

. one job posted 6 hours ago, 10 proposals

How long is it going to take for new freelancers to learn to read all the warning messages Upwork provides them? How long is it going to take them to think of reading the discussions on spam on the forum ? How long is it going to take them to read about the rules they have to follow on Upwork?

Sometimes I flag the jobs, but sometimes I just think the problem is the freelancers. If they cannot think for themselves, then let them spend time and connects answering stupid job posts. Just like little kids who have to be burnt to learn to stay away from fire.

The number of freelancers I have worked with, who followed advice and were successful, is woefully low. Even when I explain, this is a scam, they want to try anyway.

Did I say people should remain silent? No, I did not.

Looking for respect from Upwork is a waste of time, for me, at least because it is a business, and doesn't "care" or "respect." Management has proven that respecting or caring about the nameless cogs in the wheel is not of interest.

Posting scams is one thing, thinking Upwork is going to suddenly be concerned with freelancers is another.

Hopefully, freelancers will heed the warning, but there will be people who post and want the job.

Yes, freelancers need to stop applying for bogus jobs. However, after seeing so many, fight so hard to get scammed, despite the warnings, I am afraid the number is low.

a_foss
Community Member

Upwork won't solve it, for the simple reason this kind of scam has become an integral part of their business. Because as you said, selling connects is their business now, not providing freelancers with jobs. Though it be madness yet there is method in't.

5d36cb2e
Community Member

I really agree with you

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members