🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam against payment
Page options
637fa665
Community Member

Scam against payment

I have done work for following mentioned company,

"**Edited for Community Guidelines**"

And they gave me project and i submitted before time and after that the person on behalf of the company didn't pay me as per discussion . And asked me to link my personal account with their company account, for that, i had to pay 80$ in advance. This doesn't make any sense. And when i asked him to pay me through local account, he refused but when it comes to their accoumt linking fee which was 80$ he sent me a local account. As attachted. They are totally scam. They do not pay and even ask for money from us. Kindly report them as I couldn't find anything rated to them on upwork otherwise i will do it by myself. 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

10 REPLIES 10
mahgulagha
Community Member

Same thing happened with me! but I chose not to give them the $35 they were asking for. It seemed so suspicious to me when he said I only had 7 minutes to make the deposit. And when I asked him for proof of his company he got offended. 

Yes same, when i asked him about screenshots of my payment which he is saying he already did, he got offend. It is scam. We invest out time energy in their projects and in the wnd we are getting what? Nothing. But disappointment. 

This happened to you because you broke very important rules about using Upwork. You are not allowed to form contracts off of Upwork, contact clients outside of Upwork, or get paid outside of Upwork. The fact that you told this client to deposit money to your bank account instead of getting paid through Upwork should mean that you are permanently banned. You also need to use a real photo of yourself in your profile, not a child's photo.

You need to click on the Academy link at the top of this page and learn how to use Upwork. Typing jobs are nearly impossible to get, and do not pay well. If you're offered hundreds or thousands of dollars for a simple job, it is always going to be a scam. And if something doesn't make sense to you, that should tell you to stop what you're doing.

The scammer was the first to break the ToS by messaging off-platform links pre-contract.  This could have been prevented by a few lines of code that identify such links and prevent the message being sent in the first place.  One ToS violation lead to another, but it's UW's responsibility to apply basic data hygeine that enforces their own ToS.  If you don't want people to go off-platform, don't allow scammers to send off-platform links. 

Yes, the scammer broke the rules - that's what scammers do. And for what it's worth, I do blame Upwork for creating the conditions that lead to these scams, because they should be looking at new freelancer profiles and not letting them join if they aren't properly filled out. A profile with a photo of a child will only attract scammers and not real clients.

elisa_b
Community Member

I totally agree with you, Andrew.

Sad truth - Upwork does not care if people get scammed, as long as they cash in connects. It seems like we (fellow freelancers) care more about newbies being scammed than the platform itself.

Sometimes I read about poor people being ripped off of the little money they have and - even though they broke the rules in the first place - I feel sorry for them. I reckon that English literacy is sometimes a big obstacle, then why Upwork does not apply simple "basic data hygiene" good practices as you suggested?

Ayesha S wrote:

Yes same, when i asked him about screenshots of my payment which he is saying he already did, he got offend. It is scam. We invest out time energy in their projects and in the wnd we are getting what? Nothing. But disappointment. 

But you didn't invest your time and energy into learning how the Upwork platform works. Before you submit proposals to anymore jobs you should head over to the Academy tab and learn how to use the platform. Then you need to read the Upwork terms of services.

4783ef31
Community Member

Guys, I got a similar project. They asked me to pay $40 security fee. I knocked some sense into the guy that I will finish project and submit after that he'll pay me. What other security does he want? But then he started with "oh you can't pay then do a typing speed test and fill a form. " What bothered me was that he asked me to make a account on pyypl and share it's account number and pin key with him so he can link his account with mine.. I wanted to ask is that ok? To share pin. I am not experienced with pyypl payment. 

elisa_b
Community Member

Of course it is NOT ok. Just read the replies above, as Christine said: 

You are not allowed to form contracts off of Upwork, contact clients outside of Upwork, or get paid outside of Upwork.

Please refrain from applying for jobs until you have taken the Academy courses. You will only be scammed until then. https://community.upwork.com/t5/Academy/ct-p/Academy

And learn how to protect yourself from scammers: Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

If you need to ask whether it's okay to share ANY kind of account access with a total stranger, then you should probably not be using the Internet at all, because you are definitely going to be scammed very soon. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members