🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Scam
Page options
30f9692b
Community Member

Scam

Hello everyone. I fell for a scam. I am new here and I forgot not to go outside Upwork when contacting the client. I was interviewed through Skype but it was through a questionnare. 10minutes after I was told Im hired and they will send a contract to my email and they will provide me equipments to use. They process a $1,455 check for me to pay to the vendor that will provide the equipments(MAC laptop). She told me to mobile deposit the check and after we did she now asked me to pay the "vendor" a partial payment of $500 so I told her that the check is still on hold so I cannot do that then she told me just pay her partial right now and the remaining is after the check has been cleared. No wonder why I felt sick why chatting. I sense that it was scam. I told her that I dont have the money to cover so she told me to do it today when the money is clear. I have to call pur bank about it and they told me that check is flagged on their system for unusual activities. Now, the "supervisor" is doing a follow up andnI told her that their check is flagged. I read a post here last night and she has the same case with me. I feel so bad. Someone can advise me I will really appreciate it. Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Someone can advise me I will really appreciate it."

Don't do this again.

Yes, I learned my lesson Sir.

d9fc6d8d
Community Member

No, you didn't forget you shouldn't go outside of Upwork, you just chose to ignore the rules.

Actually, I get a lot of those messages that send links to go upside Upwork but never fell for it but I learned my lesson.

celgins
Community Member

Your senses told you it was a scam and your senses were right. As you found out, the $1,455 check wasn't real, but your $500 partial payment is real, and they wanted it from you.

Sorry this happened to you, but if you did send them the $500, there isn't anything Upwork can do to help you.

30f9692b
Community Member

Yes, my senses were real and good thing I followed it. No, I did not send them money because when she told me to send a partial payment through cashapp, I confirmed that it was really a scam.

celgins
Community Member

Great! No monies lost. 👍

bc677bce
Community Member

This is a big scam dear, watch out. 

Yes, Thank you. 

sofia2008
Community Member

Not communicating outside Upwork was not the only rule that was not followed.

Sharing personal information is not allowed

Accepting payment outside Upwork is not allowed

Sending payment outside Upwork is not allowed

Please stop sending proposals and review the Terms of Service at the bottom of this page and take the Academy courses at the top of this page.

Will do Ma'am. Thank you. I'm still exploring Upwork for being a newbie here. I learned my lesson and will never do it again

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members